A fine procedural wood material for Cycles

Old thread, I know, but if anyone visits here, try changing the Vector coordinates in the material node to UV instead of object, and unwrap the monkey head with Spherical Projection. The mapping is more consistent that way.

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o524/JadeOsprey/WoodenMonkey1_zpsywbdrb75.png

Nice Cycles Node Map by the way.

:slight_smile:

I was looking for some procedural materials for blender and came across this thread, very good sample of procedural stuff, thanks for sharing @wesvdes
been long time since this thread opened , I might’ve been bit late, have you shared the tutorial link?

Someone needs to do a dissection video of this… I cannot wrap my head around it.

Hello,
This material is just crazy amazing :slight_smile: Nice work!
I’m having a problem though. When I import it to my scene it works fine if it remains LINKED. If I unlink it, the next time open the my blend file, the material will have a plain beige look. Any idea why and how to solve this ?

With the age of the thread, I can tell you that a few of the techniques here may be a tad outdated.

For one thing, we saw the return of the Saw wave type sometime in the last year (which allows for a far more realistic color gradient and is an essential thing to have for wood).