[AddOn] Grass generator

cool. :slight_smile:

are you going to try and setup so you can add grass to selected objects? or by selection?
that way you could have different types of grass in the same scene…

like for instance on the side of a road by the ditch you would want “tall weed thick grass”
and in the field you want regular “turf grass”, maybe other sections of “crab grass” here and there… :slight_smile:

oh…
and if we are going to critique your last pic i think the blades of grass are a bit on the thin side…

tin2tin, way ahead of you.:wink:
Using hair lab as a base I’m building Grass Lab then Fur lab
there’s still some bugs & settings & materials need to be refined. (in hair lab too)
so within a day or two, I should have something reasonable.

Scripts to enhance the workflow are really great. I’m looking forward to tinker with your entire Lab series :smiley:

rusted, thanks, you’ll get to see it soon.

holyenigma74,
already it works on selected objects.
working on selected vert groups may be beyond my skill but adding particles to avtive verts or parts of mesh could be possible.
first i really need some good grass examples to get some decent materials/texture/particle settings.

thanks tin2tin :slight_smile:

try changing the material “strand” root and tip size…

make them both larger…
try 3 for the root and 1.5 for the tip(play around with these settings…
also you can play with the “shape” as well…

make sure you have “strand” and “b-spline” checked in the particle settings…

Not to be a wet blanket, but the problem with all the grass I have seen generated in Blender is that it looks too uniform. I am never able to get the varied heights I am seeking from a single particle system (limited random range via particle system size setting). Perhaps consider developing it as a multiple particle system solution from the beginning? Also the strand material has always left me lacking. That is why I was so impressed with the Fiber script from 2.49. It actually makes geometry.

Consider this Fiber script image:
/uploads/default/original/3X/3/8/389c1fd3f7ced6d3934d8656000f751894a083a7.jpgstc=1&thumb=1&d=1306013160

It looks much more realistic than any of the other images posted because it is not using the particle system at all. Geometry generation is really the way to go, not particle system.

cant get your fiberscript blend to open. perhaps just upload the .py?

there was the old object to primitive script. that wrote models as a script.
a mixture of that with decent geometry input then as i said before, just sets up a grouped particle system to pick randomly.

the pro grass packs use about 5 different strands of grass modelled with differences, then picks randomly.

http://thenatureacademy.blenderguru.com/fe/18406-realistic-grass-tutorial

check out the box of goodies…

mrjinx,
the fibre plugin is in my 2.49 build fully working.
I will see if someone can port the c code to py.

Just wont open for me. its an empty blend. what should I be seeing?

Its looking really good Meta-Androcto, keep up the great work !
The views on this thread is massive so a lot of people are keen for this add on ( no pressure haha )
I have to agree with both holyenigma74 and atoms thoughts on what the grass add on should be but I’m glad that someone is having a good at it to the best of their abilities.

Well done Meta-Androcto :slight_smile:

update:
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=26424
that will give 3x3 types of particle examples.
now for the materials, multi texture support & particle systems.

well, i really think that this is very useful. Thanks guys for this initiative!

Cool work-in-progress!

ok,
done 1 grass type I’m happy with, the other 2 need twaeking more.
hair types can stay as Ondrej Raha(lokhorn) originally wrote them.
so that’s nearly half way!
I should have something reasonable in a few days :slight_smile:
Combo tests of current grasses:
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=26427

Mmmh, while the shading looks perfect the strands look too “fluffy” to me.
Do you think it will be possible to increase thickness of the strands?

yes, I’ll be tweaking that :slight_smile:

Sorry, but I need to agree with Atom. I think this plugin will be not useful for creating realistic gras. Realistic gras needs to be modelled in a mesh. The hair systems are interesting, but the don’t look like real grass.
I know one plugin for Sketchup which was really useful for generating better gras:
http://forums.sketchucation.com/viewtopic.php?f=323&t=28092
Maybe you could adopt this to Python and Blender. Then it could help making easier gras.
But I personally think that in general every artist can learn modelling gras combined with a particle system. Always keep in mind that real gras is also not as thin as a hair.
But still: The work you’ve done looks very good. Please don’t missunderstand me. Your plugin looks great. I’m simply wondering if it will be really useful for artists.

HI,Meta-Androcto, the Pixologic made a new update to the Zbrush with FiberMesh technology for things like fur and Grass and trees and so on, it looks pretty good you can look it on Youtube, maybe it can give you some ideas, also, i recognze that you didnt share your addon yet… so im thinking that now its the right time to ask you: can you make the properties to be animatable after creating and applying the operator? I didnt read the whole thread, so forgive me if Im missing something, but after creation of grass in the scene, in some cases we may need to animate its properties, so maybe it will be a good idea to have this possibility?!
the link for the Zbrush FiberMesh videos: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEXJMSPikko&context=C3feaa96ADOEgsToPDskI6GLI7g_lpU98l9j1UO4PD

I created a mock up to illustrate my comment as it obviously wasnt clear enough.

in short
it just creates 5 primitives, adds materials, groups them and adds a particle system to pick randomly.

whats required to make it work.

5 high quality modelled grass strands varied with procedural materials.

you then use the old mesh to primitive script in 2.49 to generate the python code required to create the grass strands and copy paste that code into the new script.

you then create a button to generate those grass primitives, with materials, group them, and diperse them randomly using a particle system. then user can then tweak things.

I dont think this would be too hard to write, its just a bit beyond me to do, I dont understand the ins and outs of python.

The mock up looks great mrjynx, everyone in this thread must know that creating this script is a bit beyond Meta-Androcto knowledge and his doing the best he can.
I do agree that the fur style doesn’t look as real as creating grass with mesh but If you know any other devs that can help Meta-Androcto out with this we can meet eveyones expectations.

Thanks guys !