[AddOn] NP Point Distance (measuring tool)

Starting over your script, ready to select the first point without pressing space and enter.
You have already RClick to cancel the script, no need to do that with LClick also.

By ‘space and enter’ do you mean selecting the operator in the search menu? If so, a shortcut key would definitely help - the search menu is meant just until you make a faster shortcut or button. I am currently using T (like in sketch’s ‘Tape Measure’). I have T free because i moved Toolshelf to Z. My left finger transits quickly from ctrl (snapping) to T for repeating and i just use two ctrl+LMB clicks. Of course, instead of T you can choose whatever key you want in the Input tab of User prefs.

For the constant repeating of the command I have to make a loop of sub-operators inside the script, which is complicated for macros. And there would have to be an extra key press to stop the loop when you want to stop using the tool, which now is not the case. The question is - do you use a single measure or continuous measure more often.

However, i can try to make a continuous operator for the next version and put it in the settings as an option.

Eppo, you can re-download my script because I made some corrections in unities.
Now all is ok and you have the cell with number to copy.

I removed the “Scale” user preferences and the code make the job in intern when you choose the unity!
Easier and logic.

Spirou4D, you are being stubborn and unfriendly and this is no way to collaborate.

Imagine you have someone working in dental industry using blender (which is known to happen). His blender units won’t be meters or centimetres, he will more likely consider them to be millimetres. If he chooses millimetres for units, the script will not help him if it automatically sets the scale to 1000. He will need the scale to remain 1. Or someone that works in nano industry. His millimetres will probably require the scale of 0.001. Or spatial planning, or just artistic spaceship design - his base units could easily be kilometres or miles. Not everyone works in our architectural scale and, as i said, in this way the script is more flexible to such scenarios and gives more freedom.

As for length - length / width / depth are standard architectural and engineering terms for describing dimensions of an object. Distance is a numerical description of how apart two points are and, unlike length, is more general and more suitable for this addons’ work flow and concept.

As for the shortcut keys, yes, i saw that it was Alt+2, and i tried it, and it was already taken. I have my custom keymap, as a lot of other users do, and it is better not to presume anything and leave it to users to make their own shortcuts. Again, it is nice to have things automatic, but you have to think things through and be careful. Leaving some things to manual adjustment is sometimes smarter.

As you see, i had the answers to your previous post, i just hoped the argument wouldn’t proceed.

Of course, this addon is GPL - licensed and open to everyone and if you want, you can make all the changes you want and fork the addon, but if this is the manner you intend to communicate in the future i will have to ask you to change the name of the addon and form an independent thread.

As for the changes, i have limited time to work on the upgrades but i am in process of making a new version with the main effort being towards enabling some kind of view navigation during the measuring, if the start or end points are out of sight. This proved to be difficult though.

I will also try to incorporate some of the suggestions you guys made, some of them (including Spirou’s measurement info) seem really interesting.

>>>Spirou4D, you are being stubborn and unfriendly and this is no way to collaborate.

I understood and the first was the most unpleasant and without politeness is you!
I greet all English speakers without so!

My addon run in all unities. I am sorry for you! Byebye.

As for the shortcut keys, yes, i saw that it was Alt+2, and i tried it, and it was already taken. I have my custom keymap, as a lot of other users do, and it is better not to presume anything and leave it to users to make their own shortcu

A lot of user don’t know how to make shortcup for function, it’s more polite to offer a method and they can change the shortcut if they want.

Spirou4D

keep cool guys. you both do your best to improve the blender experience and it’s really appreciated.

Ok guys, enough of soap operas, here is the new version…

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=105044

I think i finally managed to introduce some form of navigation - for adjustment just press SPACE and try to navigate around. If this works as it should, it could mean alot.

JuhaW - i think i managed to do what you suggested, i put it as the STEP option in the preferences, try it out.

According to other suggestions like info display, there are some other new settings at the addon tab.

I also played around a bit with the UI elements, there is an option for displaying them.

Please report bugs, the addon is made and tested in 2.75a

keep cool guys. you both do your best to improve the blender experience and it’s really appreciated.

Thanks matali, words of wisdom :slight_smile:

Thanks, yes step > continuous works great. Depending of the 3d view angle, sometimes Ctrl+Snap gfx totally blocks measure value, yeah, space and get another angle or look info text.

Some problems occurred with using NAV mode in newly opened files.
I attached a new 016 file, seems resolved, be careful when replacing your file.

Thanks, yes step > continuous works great. Depending of the 3d view angle, sometimes Ctrl+Snap gfx totally blocks measure value, yeah, space and get another angle or look info text.

Yeah, now i see it, the badge can block the value uder certain angle. Ok, noted.

The scale parameter is not necessary because if you change the unities of the scene, you have already this parameter in the blender panel.
The multiplier of the addon must be invisibie only. !
Look in my code how i have made this, you will understand.

NP_point_distance updated to 018:

http://pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=111404

Added option to display xyz components in world coordinate system

Added option to display distance’s stereo cage for better spatial comprehension

Added option to change snap target during operation

Should be PEP8 compliant (thanks to lijenstina)

Blender version support - 2.75 / 2.78

Enjoy!

Good measuring tool. I have one feature request for this. If it is possible please implement also Construction Lines like the “Tape Measure” tool in Sketchup. I hope wont be to difficult at least to create a persistent line between the two points. Right now if I press enter the tool just disappears. Please take a look a Tape Measure for better understanding.