Animated Typing Text addon

All of the sudden, this add-on has completely stopped working. I don’t know why, but I’m getting zero action from it (the “Animate Text” box gets checked and such, it just never effects the actual Text Object).

If anybody has had this problem and knows how to solve it, please share at your earliest convenience.

Hi All,
Sorry I haven’t checked the thread for a while. I haven’t received any notifications about the posts here until the last post above. I will try to look into what the problems might be with the script.

Didn’t realise people were actually using it. :smiley:

Unless you were talking about Atom’s Add-on in which case I can’t do anything about that :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, the issue was with this one, not Atom’s. It’s just non-responsive in the 3D View all of the sudden, no matter what data is in the “Typing Animation” box in the Text Panel. So it’s just having no influence.

Thanks.

Hi David,
I have tested it on a couple of machines and haven’t been able to replicate the fault. Are any errors displayed in the log/console?

No, there’s no indication of any problems at all. It simply doesn’t display anything.

I’m using 2.64. Windows 64-bit.

(Note that I just recently got this computer and my last was 32-bit. So maybe the change from 32-bit to 64-bit Windows is the cause?)

Also, I just cut-and-pasted the script in Blender’s Text Editor dialogue and clicked “Run Script”, and then it does indeed work. But going without these extra steps and simply using the Typing Animation options in the Text menu the way you’re supposed to doesn’t yield anything.

Works great, just what I needed.
Is there anyway you could add a visible cursor?

Thanks.

good job bro, i like it. can you make the backwards typing addons?

Thanks for this - it’s JUST what I was looking for. Perfect! I really appreciate your hard work and creativity in making this.

I haven’t been able to work on some of my smaller snippets for a long time now but Hopefully I can get back into it soon. I will see what I can do about the Visible Cursor and the reverse typing at that point :stuck_out_tongue:

No Problems. Glad you could find some use for it.

I was looking for simple animated typing and found this thread. I downloaded it and worked in 2.71 :smiley: Thank you so much!

Glad to hear it’s still of some use to someone :smiley:

Thanks for making this, sharing it with us, and taking the time to post helpful tips here. I downloaded it today, and plan to use it for some motion graphics. Ever since blender added those handy pre-made interpolation curves, I’ve begun trying to use it more for animated text and widgets in motion graphics video.

Awesome. Hope it suits your needs. If you feel up to it post a link to show your work!

I use this often. It is in several animations I have done.

Great to hear! Glad it has been useful to you.

Thanks, I will, after I’ve got something to show that’s mine.

Here’s a question for my fellow users of this plug-in: how do you do multiple lines of text? WAIT, I just found the answer:

Type the text in the 3D edit window, hitting TAB and editing the text in the object. Type your return characters there. Each time you hit Enter on your keyboard, a new line begins.

Then hit Tab. Then, in the Font Properties panel, under Typing Animation, click the “Use Current Text” button. You should see the field above it fill itself in with the text you typed in the 3D window. Wherever you pressed the Enter key, you’ll probably see a weird character in this field. On my Mac, it’s an empty rectangle.

Anyway, that’s what it took for me to get line-wrapped text to animate. If I got the steps wrong, it’s close, so hopefully this still helps.

Haven’t yet used this in any project. But I am happy to have it under my hand and still playing with it.
Really just typed this to say thank you.
You really deserve all respect for putting the time and effort to make such, though simple but, awesome work.

Your typing text addon was useful! Thanks! I made this video for my game video. :yes:

Awesome work! Thanks for letting me know and sharing your video :smiley: