Best Hardware for Blender

If you don’t mind Metro UI, the I’d probably get Windows 8 64 Bit, as it’s a faster OS than Windows 7. Unless you need backups/system images to a network drive, it would be unlikely that you need the Professional version at all.

You can get the OEM version of Windows 8 for about $100 AUD, as Microsoft now have a Personal Use Licence for Windows 8, allowing you to legally use the OEM version for yourself.

If you really want maximum performance, I’d go for Linux. It handles parallel jobs like rendering more efficiently. On the same system, Linux will outperform Windows 7 and 8 in terms of rendering speed in Blender. If you’re able to live without Windows, invest in a more performant card.

Now, to your hardware list:

ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 120 Sealed Liquid Cooling Systems -> I think, this is a bit exaggerated. I hit 4GHz with an old Corsair H50 on my Lynnfield i7-860. Haswell should easily do 4GHz with a cheaper Cooling System. A usual Air Cooler is enough. Look out for Thermalright (however, make sure it fits on your Mainboard). Otherwise, go for Corsair H70 or better. It will be enough.

500 Watt Corsair CX500 -> Consider an upgrade here. 500W will be enough for a single GTX 770, but overclocked, you will run at the limits. I would go for 750W - 850W to leave some space for future upgrades. PSU and PC Case can be used for a very long time. So, it’s a good investation. Also, go for a modular PSU; you will save a lot of space in your PC case and will improve airflow. Corsair and Seasonic are good manufacturers with high quality PSUs.

Single 2GB NVIDIA GTX 770 -> try getting the 4GB version. It will cost a little bit more, but you will get double the VRAM in reward. Don’t pay for overclocked models. Just go for the cheapest 4GB. You can easily overclock it for yourself.

Genuine MS Windows 8 Professional 64-Bit Edition -> Going for Linux (if you can) will save you good money and will improve your performance by a good bit (according to MikePan’s BMW cycles test). Linux does much much better in CPU rendering (1.5x - 2x as fast as Windows) and a tiny bit better in GPU rendering. This is due to a better job handler in Linux.

512GB Samsung 840 Pro Series -> Nice choice, these things are beasts! I’ve got 2x 128GB in my System. However, you could EASILY save money by going for a 128GB Pro (using for Programs etc.) and a Western Digital RE4 WD2003FYYS (Enterprise Class HDD, with extended warranty) for space-heavy files. If you’re going to use Linux, you can mount the root Filesystem to the SSD and the /home folder to the HDD.

Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 - I think, Corsair K95 is the better option here. It has 18 extra keys for Macros, which will greatly help in Blender. However, you will need a Windows operating System for a one-time configuration (it will save the settings in his storage - OS independent).

Razer Mamba -> Tried it in a local store? I got the Mamba and it suffered from technical problems. The Logitech G700 could be an option. If you don’t mind the cable, SteelSeries Sensei is a very precise mouse. Or just save the money and buy a Wacom tablet?

Great stuff togla9009 - thanks you.

Questions on the Single GTX 770:

1. Is this the latest and greatest?
  2. This will allow GPU rendering in Blender (sounds obvious but I have radeon on my Mac and GPU is a no go…)
  3. Can I install Two of these? If yes, What does that do for me? More monitors? Faster rendering on a single monitor?

I’d love to get Linux, but It has to be Windows based for my wife (this will actually be her computer for work purposes).

Thanks,
rich