Bewitching Darkness

wow… nice composition and lighting … :wink:

BjarkeDuDe, this is inspiring. You’ve created something truly impressive here.

I would love to hear about your approaches/experiences creating the grass and the atmospheric haze. I’m working on two similar things myself and your renditions are really amazing.

I noticed a thin dark edge around the lower right portion of the planet behind the rings. Is this intentional?

Congrats on frontpage feature! Great work indeed.

Gorgeous. I love the feel of the scene.

I really like how the planets/moons have the lights on the dark side, implying inhabitants of some sort. Very intriguing piece! I would have softened the shadow on the rings, though.

I noticed that too. My eye was drawn to it and for a second it didn’t make sense. Then I thought it’s probably a shadow. Even in photos of real life scenes you can find bits that while physically accurate don’t make total sense to the eye. When it’s a photo though I think we tend to dismiss it since we “know” it’s real, whereas in art we demand to know why it was put in.
If it were a photo would we photoshop it out? Probably not. Is the shadow physically accurate? I don’t know. In the end I think the artist can make the judgement of whether it adds to the piece or detracts from it. But the artists should at least be aware of it.
I don’t think the first version was wrong, but I do find the updated version without the shadow more pleasing to the eye, and to the analytical mind.

I love the use of complementary colors. I thought the use of shadows really added to the atmosphere of the house. It was refreshing to see wheat used in a particle system as I hadn’t seen that done before.
This is an excellent piece. It introduces a unique mood to the viewer by bringing the cosmos down to Earth.

Remove the shadow on the ring and its perfect

The ring should reflect more light if it’s icy as Saturn’s ring. Maybe it’s pieces of rock who knows. I think it’s also too uniform even the rings of Saturn are like that, too. I would like to see some details in the ring that makes it less perfect. The shadows in space are pitch black because there is no secondary light sources, but in this case the planet should reflect at least some light depending on how small it is (and how far) compared to that “Saturn”.

Shadow is correct. Here is Saturn image:
https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/images/True_Saturn720X546.jpg

Beautiful work! I love the colours you’ve used.

Very good work guy! :yes:

Very good work! It looks like a wallpaper one might download from digitialblasphemy! Are birds flying out of the tree or is it leaves? I assume leaves, but they’re brighter than the leaves still attached to the tree so I wasn’t sure.
Again, great job!

Great work i like the atmosphere in the image :slight_smile:

It’s a pretty balanced composition. I would add a second tree in that field slightly closer.

You have two almost visual tangents which are a no-no in composition- one near the rings and windmill and near the planet and rooftoop. (three if you count the front gable and the shadow line of the planet though that one is not as easily apparent)

The complementary color scheme works rather nicely and is used effectively.

I, for one, am a huge fan of this kind of graphic art, no matter how (technically speaking …) it was produced. It is, first of all, very imaginative. And on top of that, it is well-produced.

The “recurring theme” of crescents, of Saturn and other planets and (apparently …) two moons, lined up in a receding line, is … simply … very satisfying. The visual detail in the farmhouse, the grain field, and the windmill, all serve as an excellent “jumping-off point.” The alignment of the planet to the top of the farmhouse … well, don’t the clip that now appears at the top of the Blenderartists.org page just say it all?

So, I’m not going to quibble at all as to “how exactly you did it.” I don’t need to see the wireframes. This is, quite simply, very excellent graphic art. Well done. Thanks for sharing.

That would be my dreamland landscape! :slight_smile:

I’m silently admiring the quality of the composition. Outstanding job, really :slight_smile:

Does the “Courage the Cowardly dog” was your Inspiration? :slight_smile:

Not really, but I watched it as a child so it might be a unconscious thing? :smiley:
My actual inspiration was playing a game/simulator called Space Engine. I really encourage you to check it out!

Thank you everybody for your kind words and useful critique!

very nice rendering!