Blender text conversion improvements / wishlist

You can type a letter and then replace it by a pasted text in last operator panel.
The problem is that word wrap are not respected.

when converting curve to mesh need an option to get equal length edges(evenly spaced vertices).

First of all great to see the text tools are being looked at, there’s a lot of room for improvement.

I also am aiming to use Blender for Motion Graphics in addition to 3d work. Here’s a few things I’d appreciate seeing:

In order to VIEW TEXT OPACITY (in viewport), we must keyframe the material opacity and currently we can not select the transparency view option in text mode only on mesh objects. It would be even better to animate a single option of either visible or not.

DEFAULT SINGLE USER ANIMATION data when duplicating text objects. ( realize this can be changed in user settings but I think it would be better as default behaviour)

When converting to mesh I would be happy if it was simply an NGON, the surface of text is almost always flat so it makes no difference, and adding a bevel could be done using inset/outset quite easily.

AUTO RE-NAMING OF TEXT OBJECT based on the “source” input text instead of Text.001, Text.002 etc.

Of course +1000 to keeping the text editable and the ability to add modifiers/effects… something that would be extremely useful would be the ability to add things such as blur.

best of luck and thanks for taking our input:)

Well I guess some of my prairs have been heard!
If I understand correctly curve’s generated coordinates are converted to UV layer on mesh convertion

Now that’s a start! :slight_smile: many thanks from my part Nazgul
With this could we get textured viewport display support before mesh conversion?

I just wanted to let people know that I am interested in making some of the improvements suggested in this thread. But I have to clear the bug tracker of knife and bevel bugs first, and it will take a while.

I would like to be able to convert text curve data to a mask layer into the clip editor/uv image screen and then be able to parent it to a point tracker or plane tracker. Also allow the text graphics to have an outline boarder and colors.

1.) A dropdown menu for selecting fonts?
2.) Auto Kerning?

I would like for the text curve to have its own sweep, loft, lathe and bezier nurbs modifiers.

After conversion, text/curve to mesh, there are too many zero area faces. Freestyle can’t render edges on those. We (BlenderNPR team) have a temporary solution though, it is using Edge Split. But, that adds few seconds to freestyle mesh calculation time per mesh (complex mesh). So yeah if edge area’s degenerate triangles can be removed, that would lower render time for freestyle compared to current temp solution. Which is very important for technical drawing renders.

Nice to hear this @howardt, that is great news, please keep us posted on your progress :slight_smile:

Which features are you planing to pick up?
Best of luck with your work!

Look at Cinema 4D text tool !
best i have seen.

Whether the text or image or document file is rendered or not, generally speaking, an document image converter supports converting text file to image or document but not using copyinng tool.

I was going to suggest a text window, where you have the ability to paste text in, and it is converted into the object. I see a couple have people have already suggested something similar. I hadn’t realized this was possible from the operator already.

+1 oh a (live) mask convert would be so nice.

As far as converting 2D curves to mesh… or some kind of remesh modifier that leaves the 2D shape as mesh, I could imagine an active conversion process that basically creates a quad grid of adjustable size over the curve. You could set the size of the grid arbitrarily, sensitivity for collapsing small quads together near the edges, and adjust the fidelity of vertices to the curve boundary (1.0 = 100% snapped to curve, 0.0 = whatever is close enough without creating short edges) … just some random thoughts, I would really love it if we could get decent topology after converting from curve to mesh!

Here is tons of info in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU57Q-Aysx0&feature=youtu.be

Well sometimes i wonder, woudnt it be nice to be able to convert a text to a bitmap (less polygons).
Perhaps with an option for a bump map (smooth or sharp).

On a side note, it would be nice if blender would also include windows fonts besides apple/unix fonts.
Maybe its not for all users…but i guess 60% ~ 70% or so ?? (python understands ttf fonts using PIL and others)

Isn’t this option called ‘Render’? Or am I missing something…

Let’s see, on the top of my head.

-Automated merging of triangles to create a nice and clean Ngon-based structure for the surface of the letters.
-Having the conversion make use of an automatic remesh/retopo routine to make an all quad structure would be nice, but would be a bit more work than my first suggestion.

It would be great if we could apply a material index to:

1. Text Face
  2. Bevel
  3. Extrude

For instance Making text white with a grey border and black extrude.