Challenge #1084 "Dystopian city" (29/03/24) Entries CLOSED

Your rendering reminds me of a quote from George Orwell’s novel 1984, “It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking thirteen.”

2 Likes

I almost always add mist excuse or not lol. It just looks too good

1 Like

Full size version: https://cdn.bsky.app/img/feed_fullsize/plain/did:plc:p3dexnt6bdqjlbqa3dy73c2o/bafkreifl2axwqwiri6lqknvzr5v2tdiawnpfihx74gvn2u4vz3bhcqbks4@jpeg

Endless City

Pure - I modelled a few building shapes and placed almost 1 million of them using geometry nodes. The shaders are randomised per instance and per mesh island - so buildings can have multiple colours and different window shapes.

The atmosphere is actually blue but I used a very orange sun light and it looked like pollution.

The geometry nodes arrange buildings in a grid, then rotate sections of the grid in a voronoi pattern (scaling them up to fill the gaps, and culling buildings near the edge leaving a small “river” between the islands). It looks very satisfying from above and from other angles it gives a slightly more realistic vibe where buildings line up with ones near them.

5 Likes

what i would do is make the above , add in red propaganda slogans, random trash and make some of the buildings collaspe.

1 Like

The blue city

Pure

4 Likes

You see, the problem with that is that I am lazy. I also like the liminal feel of having something that looks like it was abandoned before it was ever even used, but that’s mostly just an excuse for my laziness.

despite being late to the challenge, i will finish it no matter what.

1 Like

Utopia’s Shadow.
Non competing.

5 Likes

Here’s my etry… no clever title - City

Pure Cycles

7 Likes

Even in dystopian cities like these, you still have a few great choices: