Check out the Carve Branche builds !!!

Sanctuary

the old architecture and code used to calculate the boolean operations is extremely slow and problematic.
Carve is a lot faster but still not as fast I would wish for but much better. Maybe with BMesh the speed improvement
could be even more increased.

Carve is nothing else then a different code for this mesh calculation - so the modifier will stay, but it will use carve now and not the old boolean code.

Here open this Blend file and run it in your normal Blender app. The calculation time is painfully slow - it can even crash Blender already. Download a Carve build and see how fast this runs there.

http://cl.ly/2v2S3d2w1h0Z0e2P2U2c

I recently did a series of five booleans to merge six toruses together, the last calculation was quite slow, but it didn’t crash Blender.

It did a decent job in terms of the geometry and Blender not exploding after all those calculations (which probably would’ve happened with the old code)

I am not saying it will always crash but compared to other software packages it crashes a lot with simple geometry compared to what I do in Rhino and polygon booleans.

I have found Carve to be considerably faster, interactive, and very useful. I can now consider using Booleans as a powerful tool in its own right. Kudos to the person responsible!

Yay animated booleans a lot closer. Wonmder how it goes with complex faces, like on mesh converted Text objects. Perhaps I should simplify the those objects first? Isn’t there a new remeshing tool?

That’s quite an improvement, to say the least. I couldn’t even load the file with the official build.

The new booleans are MUCH better.
First :
The old one always left me with random holes in complex meshs, for no reason. I had trouble with game asset because of that and had to do lots of things by hand.
The new one doesn’t have this problem.

Plus, I noticed a 5x perf improvement (same mesh being refhreshed at 1 fps in normal verions and 4 to 10 fps with the new carve).

So a big thank you, that’s all :slight_smile:

The new booleans are MUCH better.
First :
The old one always left me with random holes in complex meshs, for no reason. I had trouble with game asset because of that and had to do lots of things by hand.
The new one doesn’t have this problem.

Plus, I noticed a 5x perf improvement (same mesh being refreshed at 1 fps in normal verions and 4 to 10 fps with the new carve).

So a big thank you, that’s all :slight_smile:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39998946/Carve2.jpg

tungee nice rendering what hdri map do you use?

3pointEdit well the more complex the slower the effect. the image I showed can already slow it down that you cannot smoothly move the boolean objects by hand but for rendering it is still fast.

This thread seems unclear about the trunkness of the modifier. Is it in Trunk?If so does it have a different heading or just the same Boolean modifier. Thanks everyone looks cool.

Even with applying a sub-d modifier at the wrong place one can achieve some interesting results (like broken jade):

I think it is not yet trunk - and when included you just use Blender and its boolean modifier like usuale.
The change is what code is being used to perform the boolean operation.

Herbert pretty cool rendering.

Claas

hi tungee,

how is the edge fillet done in the first example(plane001). thanks.

I assume the base profile was an extruded curve object with beveled edges and than converted into mesh.

Tungee, really nice examples of booleans power.
In the last development meeting notes is reported that Carve booleans should be merged in trunk with 2.62.
Looking at the pictures in this thread I can’t wait for this!

Thanx to all!
@ Haha, Cekuhnen exactly!
im not at my office now, will look for the HDR later…
@ Carozza, its already in Trunk!
Download the latest svn and you will have Carve included…

Herbert sieht gut aus!

There are here and there some little bugs;
Sergey will check them…

This simple model here, the bowl having a block cut out was already making the normal blender crawl like a snail.
Carve is pretty quick, 1 to 2 secs for calculations.