Community 3d side scroller action adventure game

Ok, Got my Save Stats / Load stats using pickle working in JRPG demo thing, so I am starting on importing into meatlike

alright, did my work for this one for the night,

Jump + run + idle + wall slide + wall jump

working,

Attachments

CommunityPlatformer (python).blend (1.13 MB)

Some things to think about because I really like making bulleted lists

• Rough design document
  • Concept art and/or prototype
  • Documented asset submission standard
  • Any VCS so people aren’t passing zips

Looks like you already have the design doc started. Good luck!

@Thank you BluePrintRandom,I just checked your blend and I’ve realized that the jumping animation wont work if using a different version of blender (currently using blender 2.76).
So should we keep going using 2.75 and when the game is finally done patch if and fix it for latest versions of blender ?
Thank you for your hard work.

@pqftgs Rough Design documentation should be coming next week ,just adding ideas and making it simple to read and understand:).

• Working on the concept art of the game and rough prototypes are already being made ,even tough they are very rough.
    -Working on the documented assets and small enemy documentation
    -Mhh,right now we are using blender artist to send blends but we still need to plan a better way of passing files around or sharing them.

…a template is nice but thats not what i’ve been thinking of regarding your idea.

i’ve been thinking about your idea as a 2d platformer with linked in repostories for all the stuff you need (characters, enemies, objects with materials&textures, platforms, ladders, spawners, backdrops, whatever) already delivered with the game and constantly updated with new stuff. the stuff should be tested in its functionality and usability (best case would be the contributor made a level with the stuff he or she contributes) and there should be some guidelines for contributing stuff to the game (like the assets-submissions-guideline already mentioned by pqftgs)
your fighting setup is cool but it takes me a lot of time to do the same setup on my character i don’t have regarding other projects. so for me a simple setup like walk, run, jump, double jump and grab items is easier and faster to do but wouldn’t fit to your game concept…

the first levels also set the guidelines for the next contributions as there for example should be a maximum level size and vertex/object count to make sure that everybody can play the game at decent framerates.
the contributed levels should also connect to the levels already delivered reagarding a fluid game experience…

…but nevermind, just thinking.

keep it up!

@jester elly a simple platformer which anyone could use their character could be done,but firstly I would like to get the combat prototype done since combat is something which is lacking in terms of tutorials and resources for the community.

Yet contributions for this current projects can still be made eg.character ideas,levels ideas,mechanics ideas can be shared by anyone and the community can send 3d models animation or concept art of what they would like to have,or even better join the project.
There are so many things apart from coding which others can contribute :).

But yes this is why I need to get the concept art and game documentation on since I need to find a way to make the game low poly and make simple platforms which can be used in multiple ways and also features can be added or removed for others players to use for different purposes like you stated.
I will need to talk to BluePrintRandom and oktow next week when I will give them the game documentation ideas so we can talk about it and see whats the best way to create something which the community can learn and work on .

Hope this explains it,if still confused fell free to ask,feedback and critics are always welcomed

the fix for property based actions should be in soon, (maybe rc3?)
I wonder why playAction() is not working,
(Jump uses playAction, all the rest use action armatures)

can you jump, and then open the console, and print screen the error its thrown?

if the behaviour is broken we may need to give a bug report
(I don’t use playAction() often, but the property based action armature has a bug, it can’t be deactivated, that is why I started using playAction() until moguri’s patch is in)

about the code,
I will comment it out
and try and make it simple.

All the consoles shows is :

Failed to load action:jump

and checked the animation list and the jump animation cycle is missing from the blend.file :slight_smile:

As for the bge animation logic bricks they do seem to be quite buggy especially in the latest version but I’m not sure if they are working on it.

Ok, Its the dreaded check F situation

lol just append the action in and it should run fine
also, in NLA editor check the little F next Jump after you load it back in.

action stash is kinda hard to understand…

Cool everything works fine now,

Around Saturday/Sunday Next week the game documentation,concept arts and small prototype which I’m making should be ready for a small team discussion and overview of the game,but I’m currently still working on those.

I was going to add.

1.slide and slow down if D or A are not held, (on ground)

2.Duck/Crouch

1. Duck slide state

2. slide down wall vs stop on wall animations.

also, a falling state?

if feet are off ground and local velocity.z < -.5: Play-Fall-animation?

I think we should have jump like this

jump 0-59 fall = 60-89 land =90-120

so all of them are in the jump animation

and I rig it so while your going up, it holds the last frame of jump, and then when you start decending start fall animation, and when you land play land animation,

then later we can have

rising attack while jumping

falling attack while jumping

and hold down key and attack while falling?

I can also do charge up attack etc eventually.

@@Dreamless-Reaper: maybe I can help you, for early concept. i just need to know the theme of the game for example zombies, robots, or monsters, because my hand was itching te he he… i want to draw and modelling anything…

Thank you for your handwork and motivations guys

@ all you described is part of what I will be doing in the concepts and writing up in the game document is its easier to keep track of whats in the game and the velocity which we used for the game character ecc.
So on sunday we can add all the velocity information on the tables which I’m making.

@ oktow the current theme which I’ve decided is
Cartoon:
robots+monsters,
mechanic and organic environment ,

but one think which needs to be taken in consideration is the game and models need to be quite ‘low poly’ and levels needs to be also kept low poly.

If you are to create few concept arts for Sunday next week(the 18th) that would be great (even few models if you like) so we can conpare our concept arts and add our ideas together for a final theme and game graphic design.

added slide, as well as state lables (for attack later)

Jump, Fall and land are now 1 animation,

a few other little things to try and make a climb up state,

Attachments

CommunityPlatformer (python) (1).blend (1.25 MB)

:smiley: You are amazing,Are they in 1 animations so that the animation transition is smoother?and from now on for future character models for the project should i keep the jump fall and land as 1 animation?
Thank you for your hard work as always.

With the documentations I’ve so far covered:

Type of game 100%
Controls /Combo system 50%
Defending system 50%
Character Design 100% (not decisive)
Enemies 20%
Levels 10%
Assets and interactive objects 70%
Boss Fights 5%

Me and oktow are working on few concept arts which we will send by Sunday ,just need to check on oktow if he needs more information on the concept arts ideas.

Ps any suggestions on a easier way/application to communicate as a whole team? so that everyone knows what they are up to or we can as a team together discuss on ideas ecc…

@@BluePrintRandom: it’s cool and you are very cool …
@@Dreamless-Reaper: I’ve made a char concept that can be seen in my deviantart gallery
link http://oktow.deviantart.com/gallery/56378675/Community-3d-side-scroller-action-adventure-game
or in my signature

Hi oktow
Here is my rough version of the character concept art.

What do you think about it ?
I’m planning of going for a simpler look yet visually attractive rather than adding too much detail to the models since I want to keep texture size and 3d models polygon pretty low.

Maybe we should merge our concept arts and art styles together ?

Also I was thinking of an idea of making those headphones which stick out from the player the main shield so that when player shields those shields will float around the player like this sketch shows:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]404345[/ATTACH]

What do you think about this art style direction oktow, Blueprintrandom and people watching this post ?

It depends, are we going dark, scary + gory?

or cute, pretty etc?

stylized?

Castlevania symphony of the night was a side scroller…

@@Dreamless-Reaper: The stylized cartoon yeah … I will adjust my art to you …
@@BluePrintRandom : Castlevania symphony of the night… i love that game… can we make a game like that?

Yes, I believe if you can get me the animations and props levels bosses etc.

I can do everything else, and set it up flexible and smart.

but lets build small prototype, that is designed to allow expansion.
(inventory - > equipping spawns object to scene, spawned object has controls for its effects and potentially animations)