Corona Renderer Alpha 4 is released (possible Blender integration in the future)

Unfortunately corona does not have a standalone renderer, right now it’s a plugin developed for 3ds max. The developer doesn’t show any interest in creating a standalone either. It’s too bad, I’ve used corona a bit and for being in alpha state it’s very impressive.

Good news, corona now has a standalone renderer, I’m trying to figure how how to create a exporter but I have limited programming experience so if any experts out there want to help that would be awesome.

http://corona-renderer.com/forum/index.php/topic,905.0.html

WHOA that thing’s pretty fast. Nice that they’ve released it, this is cool news. I’d be interested in collaborating on an exporter.

How weird, I can’t move the files anywhere except for my “Downloads” directory without it breaking. I get a fault with MSVCR100.dll when trying to run it if I move the files to “Program Files” or anywhere else. Why would that be?

Awesome!

A Blender exporter would be really sweet. I haven’t been able to try the new updates of Corona since they dropped support for Max 2009 so it would be awesome to be able to pick it up again. It was pretty fast when I tried it and I hear they have made it much faster even so I am pretty excited about this :slight_smile:

I know literally nothing about the in’s and out’s of licensing, but weren’t PY-nodes supposed to allow external render engines to connect to blender directly. I thought that was one of the main goals of the project? Wouldn’t they solve the problem, or am I getting this all wrong?

Basically Blender’s license prevented the Corona developers from integrating it deeply into Blender the way they wanted it because they didn’t have a standalone renderer. Now an addon should be able to get developed to export Blender scenes to be rendered in Corona pretty much the same way Vray for Blender works.

While it would still be preferable to have a deeply integrated plugin (working as an internal Blender renderer) it is still really nice to be able to use it again, I really hope someone will pick it up soon to make an addon for Corona :slight_smile:

Anyone been able to get the standalone to run? I tried and kept getting a ‘not a valid win32 application’ error…

Randy

Runs just fine for me on Win7 x64.

same problem here on 32 bit windows:(

That error appears when you try to run a 64 bit executable on a 32 bit OS…

(Seriously, update your systems, it isn’t '95 anymore. Anything produced in the last 10 years or so will work with 64 bit Windows.)

… I’m using an old secondary system that runs windows, my main machine is linux, and I’m certain there are no builds available for that.

Corona is a 64-bit application only, sorry.

Thanks everyone for the clarification as to why it doesn’t work for me.

Indeed, I need a 64 bit OS, I won’t deny it. I just hate shelling out the money for a new version of windows, when it’s only a slight improvement over win XP and a target of the latest viruses.

Perhaps it’s time to upgrade everything. Hardware and software/OS…

Thanks MadMinstrel, I’ll think over building a new system and a current 64 bit OS for it…

Randy

I’ve still been toying with the idea of making a generic exporter. I think the one holdup for me right now is the camera coordinates export; I can’t really make sense of it.

I’m attaching an exported scene, and the .blend file. I’ve tried to roughly match up the shots manually, but I can’t figure out how to get exactly what shows in the viewport.

Edit: My bad, please change the .conf file to renderer = 2, and the gi solver algorithms to primary = 1 and secondary = 1.

Here we go: http://dirkriehle.com/2013/04/13/a-dual-model-of-open-source-license-growth/

Btw: if anyone is interested I can give a presentation about licensing and the issues involved at the next Blender conference…

This renderer is awesome! ohsnapitsjoel, any news with the exporter?

If you need help, let me know!

that’s true this renderer is awesome! we have to have plugin. I think it will be even better then vray.

I’ve started it, and have object export working. I can’t imagine it’ll be very difficult to get .scn and custom .mtl file export up and running, I just need to buckle down and get to it.

I’ve been working on an Appleseed exporter, so I’ve been a little preoccupied, but my plan is to get to it next, Lord willing.

I do need help with camera matrices, though. I am LOST when it comes to vector math. The developer of Corona gave me a really thorough explanation about how to get the camera projection matrix to set the camera origin and camera target parameters in the .scn file, but I, uh… still don’t understand any of it. :spin:

Anyone who can help with that is absolutely more than welcome to. I’m going to set up a repository on bitbucket soon, so anyone who wants to contribute, may.

maybe just move to other stuff… and then send the plugin to corona developers and they will add just those code for camera