Cycles realistic atmosphere (with scattering)

Doing some testing with this setup, looks very promising!

1 Like

1 Like

3 Likes

I’ve been reading through this for the first time today but don’t see any mention as to sizes - what’s the planet surface measure in BUs or meters? Your test results are very stunning!

Thanks, it is thanks to the work of people in this thread, I just modified it slightly.

The size of the planet in the last few images is 1/1000th the size of actual Earth, but that doesn’t really effect the render results. I mainly made it that big (it is huge in Blender) so that I don’t have to make the Mountains tiny and difficult to navigate around.

Hi, I downloaded your file and checked it but I could get this orange sunset. :-\

I revisit my custom atmosphere shader.
The camera is positioned at the moon.with telelens.

6 Likes

Really stunning results! it would be great if you share your shader setup

1 Like

You can get the basic atmosphere shader at the first post.Earth textures you can get from the NASA here.

Hi, I’ve made a small change on the setup (hope you don’t mind). It’s just that I could not really understand why it was necessary to start with a setup that doesn’t allow you to move your planet.

So I changed all that part of the math for a simple gradient texture with a spherical distribution. This way I am free to move everything and still keep the effect of the atmosphere.

A render with the original setup:

And another with my modification. I cannot spot big difference.

What I’ve done: