Cycles test

Can you tell on what hardware (cpu or gpu) done render. And render time for each frame?

I agree that cycles is so over rated. it is quite inferior to many external renderers in my opinion and yet many people chose it over many external renderers because they dont have to download it. lux is far superior, yaf would be superior if they would make an update already, mitsuba and v are good too, but no one looks to any of these. i like cycles no doubt, but it is NOT the best, and yet it is treated like it is.

again, good work man.

It’s the best renderer included in Blender. Unless you like BI better.

really love it…:smiley: what did you used to light the scene?sun,HDRI,or just a mesh??and how about the integrator setting??

Not bad test…:spin:
Amazing job.

Cekuhnen was being sarcastic, that’s why he followed his comment with ‘NOT!’

'Cycles is so over rated…

NOT!’

wow - finally, I am not the only person that is lost in translation :wink:

I don’t think it is overrated, because for my type of work it is offering a great deal.

But when it comes to render time yes speed could be faster.

I have VRay but what I like in Cycles is the material system how I can weave materials
share material nodes ect.

Yes , it is a test renders because we all have to learn a lot for sure, because it is a new renderer and is still in development stage.
We should be grateful to the people who developed this nice software and make it available free for us.

• for integrator i keep settings low because I used for render Nvidia 460GTX and in nowadays is not fastest VGA in the world.
  • trasperancy 2,2, Bounces 8,2, Diffuse,Glossy and Transmision 16,
  • no caustics on, filter glossy 0.2, clamp 2 to reduce noise in images.
  • I used mesh light with transperancy and sun for second image and only mesh light for other.
    render times for 1st image 20min at 1000 samples, for second 240min at 1200samples because my curtains have translucency and rendered very slow with much more noise in image.
    DOF crop render time is about 60min.
    Regarding renders i think that no matter what renderer is used, every 3d artist must have right understanding for lighting and materials in each renderer.
    You can see this blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?256953-Comparison-BI-Yafaray-Cycles-for-outdoor-archivizthread from Olivier Boscournu for Yafaray,BI and Cycles, If you know what you are doing the renderer and the software no matter.

how about the camera imperfection??i means the compositing??

Oh my god, I wanna see the composing node setup! It’s so amazing!

Camera imperfections for a great picture might simply destroy a good picture.

I just finished rendering a full catalog of furniture images and there shall never be any imperfection
that simulates low end equipment :wink:

nice renders,but some images look flat,the shading on white walls is gone.might be lowering diffuse on white material will help.

cekuhnen you did a perfect explanation of the problem in another thread before few weeks.Yes, for the furnitures is best not to use this artistic effects.
Every lens has chromatic aberrations,vignetting even very expensive like Voigtlander Nokton,Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.4D,Leica 50mm f/0.95 Noctilux just for them these distortions are minimized but they exist.
See review of the Nikkor AF 85mm f/1.4D http://www.photozone.de/nikon--nikkor-aps-c-lens-tests/802-nikkorafd8514dx?start=1

• rusted Yes maybe a matter of taste
    -Fadli about camera imperfections When I made the images i try to applly effects in node editor but then I decided to make in GIMP because i want to have more control, but you can make such effects also in Photoshop with Lens Correction. You can easy find many tutorials for this effects in internet, but like cekuhnen said they should be used carefully because image may look like stereo image that have been shoted with cheap lens :). I was not even sure whether to use them in this images but finally I decided to use them
    This is my node editor setup at the beginning of my test.

Waow incredible work! Good job Ray!

Beautiful! Good job!:yes:

i didnt read the whole post. lol. but i DO think cycles is over rated. people have abandoned every other engine so they can get their hands on it. it might just be me coming from the stand point of someone who is activly preparing to go to college for communications with a minor in 3d design, but despite how good cycles is, its lack of fine tooth comb realism and its inability to operate in any other 3d software makes it relitively bad. Lux, tho buggy, could at least stand the test of production level operation, same goes for yaf. ideally i hope to see PRMan show up with a blender exporter, but i dont see it happening. blender just doesnt play a large enough role in the 3d communications market. which again, is exactly why i think there is WAYYYYY too much focus on cycles. i guess if your not trying to make this a profession like me than you dont car as much, but it still gets under my skin.

Yes, you’re right but we have 3 different great renders BI,Cycles,Yafaray, and even Vray standalone they are enough for any 3d program not only for Blender.

Nice ones, hot models as well! Second image is the best imo, improving a bit floor shader and curtain models on top it’d be really top.

Hope designconnected will consider Blend+Cycles, though the fact isn’t in a “feature freeze” status but it’s growing and changing quite a lot might be difficult for this business, maybe 2014 will be easier.

Cheers

but the one with cycles is the only one that ever gets any credit it seems.

Very good job, is very real. Could show the type of lighting used in the scene ?