Cyles: Dispersion glass materal

That’s what’ve been doing the most during the years, faking reality, so for me that’s more 3D than things like Shrek. Not that I don’t love that too, but I’m coming from another part of 3D. (though much of what I do in 3D today is far from photorealistic, arch viz clayrenders & such)

So, yes, absolutely. I would love that, faking the lens. :slight_smile:

And to answer your question in that, it’s about control. A photographic image is about freezing a point in time, photorealistic 3D is about controlling 100% of the enviroment. And yes, you can to that do a degree in studio photography, but not as you can in 3D. :slight_smile:

Using the ‘Kemmler’ set-up. I like it. 1000 passes.

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb458/onjo/Blender%20Experiments/monkey.png

@eversimo,
the file you posted contains only a simple glass closure, not any node or configuration is present, just to inform you.
All that amount of lens are a nice toy, but useless and not correct at all, imho.
It looks to work just because we have a non phisical camera (not defocusing), otherwise it would be impossible to model and to assemble a rig of lenses like that, without even to know their focus points, and make it work.

So, I used only one of the many lenses, added the node I posted a few time ago, and I got, over the small aberration, also the Fresnel rings from the lens, very nice!

Here is the file: lens.blend (301 KB)

paolo

I’m pretty sure this has to be just about the screwiest Cycles test I’ve ever done. If you like a little LSD with your Blendering, here’s your big long-awaited chance. :smiley:
40 passes, direct light, caustics enabled, tinkering with a comp node setup to try to take some noise off the objects and deliver some of the lens craziness we were talking about without having to put a real one in front of the cam.
Enjoy.

With that camera movement I felt like I’d taken LSD while drunk as a skunk, hehe… Some pretty weird results… ;D

Yeah, I’m trying out for the next Lucky Charms commercial…

Just a question:
In the lens file, why is the focal length so darn high? Also I had to turn the camera upside down because it actually did that flippy thing like real concave objects do. (I forgot what this is called. I know this also happens in eyeballs)

Anyway, I did get a nice lens flare, but also a fricken long render!

@floridajo: nice but I didn’t post any blend files, must have been someone else’s?

@eversimo,
in your ChromaticAberration.blend, in the ‘Dispersive Glass’ group, you have inverted the two inputs for the last mix shader node, that’s why it doesn’t work, the glass must be diffractive when is-Transmission-Ray is true.
And the delta parameter must be realistic, so much smaller than one.

paolo

That guy seems to have the node setup spot on. I’ve tried these others and they generate a terrible amount of fireflies, but this one does not. To render faster, I deleted everything from the blend and left just the large diamond. It looks great!

http://www.infoocean.info/avatar3.jpgAdditionaly I add one more glossy closure to have more control over (sort of) “specular reflection”.

Very cool! Here’s my test with this material: http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2efdtqGlY1qlttyco1_500.png

What ‘chu talkin’ bout Willis?
You posted a pic of your node setup, no?

In that thread moving the lenses created DOF.

Well, an actual lens focuses light onto a sensor plate, so essentially, I would’ve liked to make the camera Orthographic, but then objects behind the camera show up. So I placed the camera in the little area behind the lens elements, which is cordoned off from the rest of the scene with the little semi-hemisphere element.

If you go into rendered view in the viewport, you’ll see how there are dark areas around the central main circle of light. I adjusted the camera focal length value so that most of the light in that main circle renders.

It might be hard to explain, but if you change the render resolution, you should also change the camera focal length value so it renders correctly.

For the flipping issue, you should actually go into the compositor and flip the image horizontally AND vertically to counter the issue.

That’s a gorgeous ring, kthornbloom.

Is that a yes? xD

:slight_smile:
So, were you worried during the recent Rocket Test scare? The Japanese were setting up anti-missile missile launchers in downtown Tokyo. One of these days, some dingbat is going to go too far with this stuff…
My ex went and taught english in South Korea. I was pretty freaked out. I think you guys are all pretty ballsy just for being there.

I wondered if that was a yes to his proposal of marriage, or what ring were you referring to? ;D

And your reference to South Korea is lost on me as I’m in Sweden, remember, hehe? ;D