DAZ Studio 1.0 for free

well

for somebody who only needs to work with pre-made models
and the possebility to use bones this app might be what he needs.

like in adverticement …

it depends on what you wanna do with it.

or somebody who only needs to work with pre-made models
and the possibility to use bones, this app might be what he needs.

like in an advertisment …

Vonder, i have to agree viz you, ze app isnt even downloadable cause you have to toss your email to ze spammers. Its not how you spell it, its vhat you want to say ( remember cambo,hehe)

I dont think people are being creative enough here. This isnt simply an application for making 3d art, but can be a usefull illustration tool as well. Although I have never used DAZ studio for a project, I have used 3d many times for what ultimatley ends up being a 2 dimensional illustration.

Example: Excerpt from one of my school projects. Figures posed in motionbuilder, a few props made real quick in blender (Tongs, hammer, drafting table). Final drawing in illustrator.

http://www.umsl.edu/~gcbq44/artcon5/sovietworkers.jpg

The man who originally wrote poser wasnt even interested in 3d art, he wanted a tool that would assist him in his paintings when he couldnt find a model to pose for him…

Cheers,
Xarf

3D-Penguin

what is your point here?

I neither like the fact of having to give away my email(maybe 3d Penguin with the spam thing has a point)…Anyway, yep, could be useful as an scene builder for rendering with quite a good renderer like that one. Of course, using your own models.I wont test it for the email thing, but cool news…

A pitty is not a real free download, I don’t consider free when email has to be given, or they force you to later on connect every time and be online, or use cookies for install, etc…those practices make me run away from it. This one only asks for email, though, but…

I don’t consider having to give your e-mail address out to be bad. I do it all the time - even for 3delight - and I receive about 5 junk emails a year in my yahoo account.

I’m going to give this program a try. It’s taking freakin’ ages to d/l though. Maybe the 6 or so users from here have maxed out their servers. I’ve got 1MB broadband and I’m getting modem speeds. I’m sure I picked the broadband download.

I think it’s great that it uses 3delight but not if it doesn’t generate rib files. If it does then you can easily write your own shaders and merge scenes together. Do they include the 3delight engine or do you use the standalone renderer?

I’d be surprised if they let you do commercial stuff with the software because the 3delight renderer is £1000 (or is it $1000) per license.

skin?? What about the hair? That looks amazing. Is it possible that the renderer is using RiCurves for the hair? If so, that would slow it down a lot.

do what i do… I have a seperate gmail account that i use only for situations such as this, I call it my spam-account :smiley:

But I also think that this is what is known as “postcard-ware”. So people just like to know who is using their software, and to post news/updates about the software by email.

Sadly, I cannot test the software out, because the bearing to the fan of my ATI videocard just seized up… and once i try anything 3d/intense hardware based, my computer locks up. :x Time to go back to nVidea

3D Elight is mostly likeslow due to its AA set to max, i mean it doesn’t even use subdivision…

I think it does support subdivision surfaces. It just renders them using the very efficient micropolygonal rendering technique.

But yeah, it could well be the AA. I think the default renderman sample rate is 2x2, which still blows Blender out the water because of the MP stuff but 16x16 might take a while. The thing I like is you can even set your own sampling filter so that you can weight the samples higher towards the inner part of the pixel giving you better results.

They might also have decreased the shading rate. That really slows things down.

I reckon they might even have made it deliberately slow. Offering what they call a production quality renderer for free (not to mention the bandwidth) wouldn’t be much good to them unless it was to encouraging you to buy more of their products. Loads of companies do that.

[quote=“osxrules”]

skin?? What about the hair? That looks amazing. Is it possible that the renderer is using RiCurves for the hair? If so, that would slow it down a lot.[/quote]

This hair looks great but i think it is a 2d post work. RiCurves rendered with 3Delight are very impressive

http://www.3delight.com/Gallery/Collection/01A/Tessa_HR.htm

but i think that “DAZ|Studio” works with transparency maps or imported Poser´s procedural hair.

no the hairs are ricurves and nothing new.

we used that in animation few years ago already.

claas

I’ve been experimenting with the program a bit. To speed up the rendering, you just increase the bucket size to maximum. The quality doesn’t really degrade but the render time decreases by about a factor of 5-10.

Also, if you set a custom resolution, that will speed things up and decrease the raytracing steps. In most cases, you can probably put them to 1 or even 0.

It still doesn’t seem quite as fast as 3delight itself though. Still, it has it advantages just being able to click render and having a GUI for shaders.

The program looks pretty good at first glance despite a lack of any real modelling tools. If I was able to model and animate a scene in Blender and then import it into Daz where I could texture and render with 3delight, that would be amazing.

Yep, that’s good to hear. I’ll have to do more tinkering around but this looks like a pretty solid system for doing hair. I’ll have to see about dynamics and things though.

the good side of reyes renderer is that they do not need to subdiv or triangulate curves before rendering the geometry. reyes renderer can
render / calculate the pixel/polygonb on the fly whihc is why it
provides tru displacment with a minimal longer rendering and great
hair with curves or instant rendering of tur subdiv surfaces.