Dirt simple renderfarm. no scripts needed.

Some interesting points about touch only being useful if noOverwrite is enabled, and placeholder is not a bad name…

Basically

• NoOverwrite is actually fairly useful, you can remove frames with problems, and press RENDER, to rerender whats missing.

BUT, touch isnt that useful without NoOverwrite… so not sure how to convay this to the user. Touch button could only be visible when NoOverwrite is on…
OR… Touch could be default behavior, and then we only need an NoOverwrite button…

The biggest problem IMHO is neither of these Options say “RenderFarm” to the user.

Oh, and one other thing, File->External Files->Make All Files Relative
This is nice when you want to render a blend file on somebody elses PC where the paths will differ.

That’s cool. I’ve been using the Make All Relative/Absolute since it showed up. What I was hoping to see in there was a “make all links local” for single-file renderfarm submission for people who don’t have directory creation access to their farm.

make all links local is alredy there :wink: - Lkey->All

Found this thread late (was going to request this feature).

Nice one Cam!!

This is pretty much how After Effects network rendering works. It’s not the most robust solution, but like you say, it’s simple enough to set up.

Excellent stuff. Thanks again!

I wouldn’t make Touch a default/builtin feature. I’ve left it on while rendering an mp4 through ffmpeg, and I get my output folder full of touched (0kb) .png files, plus the final .mp4. (Make it default if it’s an image format vs. a movie format maybe?)

@dschnell289, fixed rev17867
please report bugs like this to the tracker.

Since I bumped this post, something more interesting to thing about if your reading…

What about saving each render tile to a file, so Touch&NoOverwrite renderfarms can all work on 1 image, also means you can stop a render and finish the rest of the tiles later on.

Made this suggestion as a comment on the blenderstorm “Render Pause and Resume” proposal.
http://www.blenderstorm.org/qapoll/ideas/idea/126/

It would be fantastic :slight_smile:
It’s simple, yet powerful!

It would be great stuff! Go Cambo, go!

Nice idea Cam!
Where do we vote?

:eek::eek:

Resumable renders in Blender!? It’s too good to even think of!!

That would be sooo super cool!