Echec

Thank you very much all :eek:.

@@Zeke_Faust :
There is a little bump on the mirror :

Maybe your right, when I conceived the picture, my thought was that this mirror was the interface between the real world and the soul world so I decided to keep it clear as possible. Don’t know if it’s was a good idea.
Byt he way, I put a fingerprint on it, but it’s not visible because of the high blur.

@@MohamedSakr : Here it’s a Luxcore Path render, for a 2Mpixel render around 30 minutes (4h for the 4000*4000). Rendertime was very high with old Bidirectional (many days) so I switch to Luxcore, render time is just amazing.
I tried to use Cycles, but Mirror + glossy is just insane to render, lot a noise and fireflies, it was just impossible to make this picture without cheating if a used Cycles.

@@Maurice_Raybaud : TY ! I will consider a wallpaper version, should think about an other framing.
Maybe by cropping it ?

I also found that test render I made :

LadeHeria

great :slight_smile: , one last thing, what is your CPU “pc specs?” , and do you use other softwares like Cinema4D?

I have an idea for an alternative composition: trade the king out for a queen…because pawns actually do become queens when they reach the eighth rank. really nice render, btw!

This, so much this.

Also, Google pawn + queen and you’ll see nearly a thousand renders like this.

I always like creative and simple ideas.
very nice render.

I find the reactions to this piece as interesting as the piece itself–which is to say, I find it all amazing and fascinating.

It really says something about the artwork when different people come away with a different lesson from it, especially when it is such a simple image. A powerful, thought-provoking work. I’m impressed!

While others have noted the quest to better oneself, and I could see that angle, I suppose, I instead interpreted it to mean the inborn tendency to narcissism which humans seem to have, a false impression that one is more important in the grand scheme of things than they really are. I see it as an expose of the world’s fame mentality, a desperate struggle for notoriety and attention to fill some need on our part for a feeling of self-worth. This poor pawn thinks he’s more than he is, feeling that if he stopped his social networking and calling his friends, the world would stop spinning on his account to come looking for him. Poor, poor, deluded pawn. :smiley:

Dan

It may be my republican twisted mind, I see both the narsistic angle and a critic of tirany. I didnt get the dream of self improvment angle befor I reed it in somone else post.

I guess how you see this piece of art say somthing of your view on the world. Rorschach test use a mirrored image after all.

Well deserved top row by the way.

@@MohamedSakr :
A pretty old rig, an i7 860.
What I really like with Lux is that you can tweak lighting (color, power) without rerendering by using lightgroups, paint a mask over the image to tell the render engine where you want more samples, etc.
Just to show, 2 differents lightgroups setup (more yellow color to right light and more power to backlight (you see it in the mirror) and no need to re-render the picture :

@@JDaniels : I really agree with what you say, I had something into my mind when a create this picture, and it’s pretty amazing to see how people appropriate the concept and make there own idea. That rejoice me a lot to see that this picture make people think.

LadeHeria

Nice image and welcome back to the forum, I see its been a while since your last post. I’m curious did you use render layers, light paths, both or something else to do the mirror trick?

Thank you :). It’s just compositing, no optical tricks !

LadeHeria

I have a question. When you seted the focus point on the pieces, does the mirror reply that defocus of the background automatically? or is that you adjusted the setting on the node editor why the mirror is defocused?

Excelent Art Piece.

In LuxRender, you can use “true” defocus (like in Cycles) or calculate a Z path and make the defocus via Nodes.
I used true defocus, so it was not has the compositing stage (more realistic but slower and less flexible).
To have the focus on the King (reflected in the mirror), I did focus the camera a little behind the mirror (easy to calculate).

Here is a screenshot :

LadeHeria

I enjoy the symbolism with this!!! :slight_smile:

Good stuff, love the idea behind and the semplicity of the scene.

Very similar to this. Clean image…sweet

I like the idea of a Pawn wanting to become a King. As others have stated, you can’t do that within the actual game but when I thought about it a bit more I thought: The Pawn wants to achieve the impossible.

Of course within the game he’s doomed to fail but that doesn’t mean he can’t achieve great things. Nothing wrong with a bit of delusion :stuck_out_tongue:

Nice piece, love the materials and the lighting in it.

Never knew Lux had such editing tools either, I’ll need to take another look at it when I get the free time.

E-x-c-e-l-l-e-n-t!!

Gentlebeings, always remember: "'i-f you can manage to make that human, artistic, connection,’ then from that point forward it really doesn’t matter exactly how you did it."

The concept in this simple vignette says it all: “a pawn stares in the mirror, and see himself as a king.” Furthermore(!), in the realization of that concept, everything is perceptibly flawed: the mirror, the pawn, and, in a similar(!) way, the king himself.

Achieve that, and the audience will connect with your work … instantly. Without the faintest notion, or concern(!), of the technology that you used.

Well done.

Fantastic image!

I think some of you guys are reading into this way too much for a meaning. Hahaha! Not everything is about some deep analysis of some metaphorical meaning, exploring the depths of the human psyche. Sometimes, it’s just about making for an interesting visual subject matter for a picture. You can see just about anything you want to imagine seeing about it. Though, we’re free to assign meaning to it. I just wouldn’t look for something intrinsic. Anyways, nice render. Pretty clean render. Decent lighting.

Hi Ladeharia ! Its long time ago that i have not your news my friend !! It’s a beautiful Picture !!! Very splendid !!

i don’t see you online on skype this last moments or on blenderclan also. I’m glad your back my friend.

Kanablanco