EDL Support in Blender

Hey Freen, if you could get some different EDL’s (avid and prem) for testing it’d be great, though no rush since Im going to be away for a few weeks.

EDL exporting should be a lot easier though its going to be limited to certain types of cuts and effects.

It would be cool if it was possible to edit the ipo on the clip itself, not in the ipo.

is more visual and faster.

Ideasman42, you know what would be really cool? an “EDL conform cut” from a single clip.

By this I mean importing a pre-cut program (as a single clip of media), then using its original source EDL to add the cuts back in, in Blender. Just chopping in the Rec side edits, obviously the source metadata would propbably go as it may not be needed for the next step.
Avid does this for colour grading shows in it’s colour corrector. It saves you reconstructing each fiddly edit just to add an effect.

I want to use the “Composite Nodes” to Colour Correct in Blender, but to do so for each shot in the Sequencer’s timeline would require a Scene setup for each shot and a timeline for each shot? Wouldn’t it?

How could I stick a seperate node setup on each shot in the sequencer? Wait for 2.5?

I’m getting an AttirbuteError: "Blender Sequence’ object has no attribute ‘update’ in lines 930 in del_bevevent from fline 712, in load_edl

Just wondering how this project was getting on, sorry for the bump. Any news here? Thanks BTW for the XML importer.

Ill start work on sequencer scripts again when 2.5’s sequencer api is further along, already it can be used for loading movies, moving strips about so its not that far off, at the moment I’m trying to get the game engine running in 2.5.

Oh dear, I have just spent an hour trying to get the script to work, but no go. My XML edls from FCP, reference both Server media in one instance and a Local directory media in another.
Both imports via XML have failed to find reels (that was the fault after performing the import).

Are there any particular settings I should adhere to from FCP end or should the media live somewhere else? Currently it doesn’t reside in the typical FCP structured bin tree for media, would this matter? I thought the XML would just describe a file path.
Looking at the Console just says:

Ignoring: </file id="video clip name "/>

alot. It seems to Ignore everything actually. But thanks, really, for all the work anyway.

Any updates on the EDL parser thing? Would be really handy to have a import/export :slight_smile:

regards
stefan andersson

I think that this will be a Mango project as will be all the other outstanding functionality for the VSE.

And sadly or fortunately (depending on your pet feature) Ideasman is rather busy these days at BF fixing stuff.

Please don’t resurrect dead threads. If you want to inquire about updates to an old project it is better to just PM the original poster.