Experimental 2.77 Cycles Denoising build

Concerning flickering animation, I would imagine it depends on how much noise you have in the image to begin with as well? So if you just use the denoiser just for the final finetuning the result wouldn’t be so jarring? I have no idea myself, but would be interesting to clarify. Looking fantastic for stills already!

most of the noise comes from indirect diffuse and indirect glossy, i denoise only those passes for interior scenes, it resolves 90% of problem.

Im just getting a white out when I select individual passes for processing. This seems to happen whether I select one, a few or all of the separate passes. This is with the filter on its standard settings. ( Update- I’ll check this is not the result of some peculiarity of the scene Im rendering)

Another observation - the LWR ( Locally weighted regression?) seems to be applied at the end of the render when using normal rendering. I tried it using progressive refine and interestingly it seemed to be applying it after each sample - That was just a first observation. Does that seem right?

Hi Claas, yes those are the interiors you shared! :smiley: I can’t post client’s work so these scenes of yours were fine to test it out :wink:

I will post with and without denoiser as soon as i can later today.

BuncIm just getting a white out when I select individual passes for processing. This seems to happen whether I select one, a few or all of the separate passes. This is with the filter on its standard settings. ( Update- I’ll check this is not the result of some peculiarity of the scene Im rendering)

That’s also what i get, i posted about it few posts above. I’m really curious about per-pass filtering since it could potentially retain details and just denoise the most crucial AOVs. Hope Lukas can sort it out

Ok I think my problem with trying to process separate passes was that I hadnt set these passes to be specifically rendered in the render layers. Fairly obvious now I think about it! Presumably this will sort it.

I know - I was more making a joke. I am happy they are useful.

Really looking forward to your test renderings - there is currently no OS X build I can find with it.

Also I am really curious about the per pass filtering - that would be fantastic!

Not a fan of filters cause they use to give a “fake look” and kill details.
However I see really really promising stuff.
Hope you get accepted for GSOC and you can complete your work.

Fast tests:

200 samples - time: 5:18

200 samples - LWR HW 20 - time 9:18

To make a time comparison between no filters and LWR
(I guess it’s pratically impossible to compare by noise level,it could need days :p)
350 samples - time 9:18

Final considerations:
Nothing to say about noise removing, awesome, the problem is with some detail loss
for example the small reflections, some part of the bump loses the sense of depth and
blotches.
Keep up the good work. I’ll follow it.

Edit: I don’t know what happened with images. The board added automatically big thumbnails.

Attachments

I agree with the issue of filters, but I think like in photography you clean specific passes not just everything.

This is like MP3 - the audio quality is less good but for most peoples ear it is actually fine.

So with the denoise filter as long as it does not stand out too much and it clears the image quicker I think
we will have a very good tool.

Yes, the most important thing should have a noise reduction system is allowed to work with layers and passes, thus you can choose different levels and configurations of noise reduction where it suits you best.

Good comparison considering similar times, LazyVirus

Yeah I think you have to be practical here. If there is a lack of detail but you dont notice it and only see it if you zoom crazy in then whats the problem?

Hi Claas, sry for the off topic question but could you tell me where you shared these scenes? Searching the forum didn’t bring up any useful results.

go to BlendSwap - they are all there under my name

Here did a pretty good job! Only obvious splotches are far left on the wall above the sink tap and the curtain against the wall on the right.
Great how it preserved the wood textures and the tiny gaps between kitchen shelves.

18 minutes
http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=100961

Thank you very much Lukas and all the Testers, this looks very promising!

Would be nice to have access to the unfiltered buffer in the compositor to manual blend (mix-node/masks/z-depth/etc.) with the filtered result, would that be possible?

Any chance to provide a build with LWR,Tonemapping and IES for us dumb end-users without compiling capabilities? That would be really far to kind :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

stc=1

More tests…Trying to find better settings for hair.

Render time with the denoiser is just an extra 10-15 seconds.

http://i.imgur.com/3pL1IGk.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FQ8Php8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SqCuvm1.jpg

Looks nice…
But on my side this build instantly crashes or freezes (to hard reset) when i start rendering. Even without activating denoise on an empty scene.
CPU = crash to desktop or freeze, hang
GPU = error
http://i.imgur.com/OiPdsuo.jpg

Official build works. :confused:

Win7x64, Lenovo D20:
CPU Intel 2x Xeon X5650, 16 GB RAM
GPU Quadro M5000 8 GB + Quadro 600 1 GB

Anyhow… Thanks for your effort.

thanks lukas, here is my test

gpu;
100 samples/no LWR

GPU;
100/samples YES LWR(DEFAULT)

In my opinion, this clean finish for interior view i just crazy, normally I use 1500/2000 samples
thanks,
I hope that this proposal will continue

Attachments

another test;
cpu;
50 samples /no LWR
5.30 min

50 samples
LWR(DEFAULT)
6.30 MIN

Attachments

Hi Lukas,

Thanks for your great contribution. Hope you get accepted!
My test is a 1/4 crop with following settings:
Xeon E3-1230 v2 + GTX 970 on Win 10

1. 400 samples, no LWR, 5min3s on GPU

2. 400 samples, LWR HW10 BW0, 7min9s on GPU

Attachments

+1 for being able to get the unprocessed image out as well as the processed image ( and layers). That would save having to render twice if you need to ensure control at the compositing level.

I still cant seem to get anything useful when trying to render selected passes.