Gatling Battery Gun (update7/12)

A slight revision of my previous comments: I didn’t quite understand which part you were referring to when you said “that thing was on the right side of the barrel on the loader bit.” At the time I took a quick glance at the blue prints and couldn’t figure out what you were talking about, so I assumed that you meant part “V.” “The thing,” is actually a hinge. The feeding system’s cover is hinged to allow quick access to the internal feeding mechanism in the event of a failure or miss-feed.

Part V, upon close examination, is a sort of funnel necked port, which has been added to the heat shield to allow the admittance of a liquid coolant. If you look closely at part “V” from the side view, you can make out the base, the neck and the expanded funnel head. Underneath the barrel, there also appears to be some sort of drainage spigot. (I have labeled this item “Part X.”) The presence of this spigot indicates that this version of the gatling gun may have been an early attempt at a water cooled machine gun. If you are familiar with the Browning M1917, you will notice some similarities between it’s water jacket and the gatling gun’s water jacket.

What I cannot understand, is why Mr. Gatling would want to attempt designing a water cooled gating gun. By it’s default design, the gatling gun is air cooled. The design of the rotating barrels presented a formidable mechanization challenge for it’s day, yet the addition of a sealed, rotating, water filled jacket would have complicated things much farther then necessary. Though from the other diagram of the closed gatling gun, it appears that the water jacket and barrels rotate as a unit, so it is a feasible possibility.

As a closing observation, don’t forget to add the rear sight. On the blue print, the rear sight is labeled part “J.”

Other then that, I am looking forward to seeing this project finished, due to the amount of technical detail which has been added. Keep up the good work!

Your knowledge of the Gatling’s really useful.

Water cooled, so first you kill the enemy, you make certain the batle ends at 4pm and you have your hot water for the tea :frowning:

http://users.skynet.be/bk000202/Gatling.jpg

Made from original 3200pixel width render. Really like the sharpness.

I only have to add the “water inn”, the studs on the carriage and a metal plate on the hind part of the carriage.

@reddmann211 using HDR background would necessitate good materials otherwise the result would be kinda crap. And my materials, I don’t have any on the model. So I don’t think my texturing skills would add anything to the model. I’ll add a bump map to add a bit of detail to the wheels and add a logo but that’s how far it will go. sorry and thanks for the reply

Thanks

Thank you. War is never nice that’s for sure.

Your model and scene is progressing nicely. I see the rear sight has been added, nicely done. Once the model is done, you may want to reconsider materials. Developing even a basic set of materials isn’t terribly difficult. Here is a tutorial page that explains some of the basics.

http://www.linuxgraphic.org/section3d/blender/pages/didacticiels/blender_material/index-ang.html

Good luck with finishing your project!

Update;

The national archives gave me the information I asked for (I was able to locate the patent with bigger/bether pictures)
So biggest change was removing 2 barrels, the gun only has 4… I added the “water in” and the studs. I allmost went mad trying to add some detail with a bump map, when I finally found how to do it, quite simple actually, the bump map was verry dissapointing and I just moddeled the detail. Also added a detail on the base of the screw used to adjust the height. And I redid a part of the ammunition loader.
I allso gave textures a go but after 1 hour of trying to produce something that even just looked like it might have been metal I gave up. Also rust with procedurals, nope (at least not with me yet).
And I forgot to render the grass layer:o (redit that). I allso made a “turntable movie” but blender ruined it by not saving it (and not making it possible to save it) for one reason or another so I had to redo it manually but quicktime just plays the renders one after the other without it being fluent even with 6 pics/sec so its crap and on 800*600 you can’t see half of the details so crap again so I won’t post it yet.

C&C welcome and I’ll move to the focussed crits after this I think.

Attachments

I really like how this is progressing :slight_smile:

When I wanted to stitch together a bunch of individual frames into a movie I used a little proggy called Slide Show Movie Maker: http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Slide_Show_Movie_Maker
It should do what you want it to. I used it to make this little video: http://one.revver.com/watch/240455/flv/affiliate/73816

I started to make materials and made a movie with ValiantHalibut’s prog, it really works well. And as reddman211 uppered I used a hdr background.

Movie (divx 2.4Mb) The vid is a bit to dark due to the encoding, you can brighten it by first opening it in VLC-player, pause it and open it in WindowsMediaPlayer (Classic), it will be brighter then for one weird reason or another:confused:

I must say I am learning a lot with this project.

And can is it possible to use radiosity with blender internal? Cuzz I don’t see anny difference in the output. Tutorial annywhere?

C&C most welcome especially about what to do with the support on wich the model rests and the copper material.

cheers

The model looks very nice and it looks as though you have a fair start on your materials. The wooden wheels look very nice. The brass material needs abit of work though, however I’m not entirely sure as to what exactly needs to be adjusted. This model will look very impressive when you are finished with your materials.

Don’t forget to do some close up, still renders so we can see the amount of detail you have put into this model.

So, after a handful of months I textured it, and rendered it (with HDR). I rendered it on my brothers quadcore, man those things are fast.

So any comments about it? And does anybody have an idea for a setting?

cheers

Great job with the modeling. The only thing that caught my eye is how bright an shiny it is. I think you might’ve over done that a tad bit. Here is a nice picture of a gatling (I know it’s a different model), and the brass on it looks a bit duller.

Attachments

i like the metal on the wheels it looks very cool, if you could carry that detail to the rest it would be great. texture the wood, etc. throw it on a little hill with some battered grass, give it some scratches, then it would be more realistic. very cool that you are actually researching the object. its a sweet project.