GSoC 2012 Android Blenderplayer Port with OpenGL ES (2.0)

nice updates on the mailing list! does this mean there is a app that will make it easy to install on android…

where can we see the updates? Is there a central place where we can follow the updates?
This year only few students post here on blenderartist :frowning:

Second Android Release

There is not a lot of visible changes. A lot of things are WIP and not complete. Most time was spent on creating new Ghost system, which should help getting accelerometer/gyro in near future.
One of the changes is mouse (position) support was added.

Read installation instructions. Steps 3-5 were changed.

You need to have ARMv7 CPU (due to optimization in this release.)
You phone should support OpenGL ES 2.0

1. Make sure that you are on WiFi or have unlimited cellular internet

2. Install Python 3 on your phone Python3ForAndroid

3. Open Python3ForAndroid and click Install. It will download needed files.

4. Download BlenderPlayer-release_07_20_12.apk and install on device.

5. Download blender_android_263_7_19_12.bla" and with file manager (Astro or Es File Explorer should work) on Android open it. The BlenderPlayer App should open. This step install important libraries including actual Blenderplayer.

6. To play a game you have to options:

• Click “Select Game”
  • Select a .blend file
  • Click “Start Blender Player”

Or

• Open .blend file from (Astro or Es File Explorer) file manager

P.S.
There is a bug. After the start, you have to rotate the screen to have correct dimensions.
Also, app crashes on exit, which shouldn’t be a problem.
Some file managers don’t work.

great work Alex.
For anyone willing to try the mouse click implementation, this is my test file:
http://www.dalaifelinto.com/ftp/bge/click_cube.blend

how awesome is this alex… my game charlies big adventure starts on my android tablet.
of course there are lots of issues. no fonts are displayed. but my menu works.
i cant control the character, because i dont have touchcontrol implemented. but the game loads.
alpha doesnt work, and planes that use the shading mode add dont work too.
And everything is veeeeery laggy. i hope performance will better in the future.

thank you for your work

Really great work Alex. Thank you for all!

I’m currently trying to set this up on HTC Evo 3D and I was wondering if the glass-free 3D display is / will be supported?

ndee: would you mind sharing some of this cool bunny game with everyone? It would make a great test for Alexander to use as reference for speed too. And then I can show off at siggraph :slight_smile:

I wonder about this too. I assume that to overcome the GPL licensing the APK could extract the player and blend file prior to running it…?

hey wow this is great… works great on Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 looking forward to try more demos on it so if you have some please post.

Dunno why, but I cannot open the .bla file with ES File Explorer: I can choose between open with… Text,Audio,Video or Images, and then it pops up to choose between several application but nothing about the installed BlenderPlayer

Sparazza

Here are a couple of examples for testing:
Control in the game http://www.mediafire.com/?47ycndc6n7k947c
Procedural animation http://www.mediafire.com/?2asdur543dafdsa

Yes it would be healthy, if it was necessary to establish only one apk the file.

sparazza, there was the same problem, opened in Astro.

@ndee, @SolarLune: I already ported VBO code, so drawing of complex geometries will become much faster in next release(s). Hopefully it should fix problem. Also shader options like color correction can be disabled.
@sparazza, @Toxa17: With ES File Explorer select “Text” and Blenderplayer should show up. Android doesn’t like file extension and .blend don’t have MIME type.
I’m working on download for .bla file, so installation must get easier. I’m also planning to bundle python with Blender.
I’m not sure how games will be distributed. They can be an apk which requires preinstallation of Blenderplayer. Or standalone apps (but again, problem of duplication + plus java namespace). Or we will have Blend Store with downloads.

P.S.
GE on android should get accelerometer and gyroscope sensors soon.

Oh, okay. I didn’t know how mobile applications worked. Sounds like it shouldn’t be too difficult to make a one-app program. Also good to hear that the GPL should hold out for the .apk file format. Great news. And yeah, I agree that it should work with one APK file; I don’t think the end user would like trying to install Python on their phone.

Great to hear that news, and I’m glad that it looks like it will get faster in the future. What do you mean by the problem of duplication? You mean that each game would have its own BlenderPlayer?

EDIT: And great to hear that it’s looking like it’s going to get gyroscope support!

Hey Alex,
I have just discovered a bug? All objects that have a split modifier do not show up ingame on android.
On computer those modifiers seem to be applied before the engine starts. On my android device they just don’t show up.

By applying the edge split modifier the objects are visible again ingame.

Hi Alex,
I have talked to Ton about providing a prototype testgame for your android port. He asked me a page before. Here I want to release a simple prototype Game.
It is a pinball game.

I have added Singletouch Controls for triggering the rackets, and shooting the ball. I have tested the file on my Iconia A510. Complete logic and python seems to work. Singletouch works fine too!
So it is playable :slight_smile:

What doesn’t work so far:

• Blendmodes “Alpha” and “Add” (Thats why my particles look so strange on android.)
  • Textobjects don’t show up(.ttf fonts)
  • Modifier conversion doesn’t seem to work. At least I had to apply die edgesplit modifier so objects can show up in the game
  • Sound doesn’t work either

I release this Game under (CC BY-NC-ND 3.0)
http://i.creativecommons.org/l/by-nc-nd/3.0/88x31.png
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/
So no commercial use, and no modification. Still, you can showcase this file and I give AlexKu special permission to edit the file if necessary. Please respect this license.
If you need more permission for what ever reason, just contact me via pm and we can talk about it.
If you showcase this file somewhere, please credit me with my Name and Youtube Channel:

Andreas Esau
www.youtube.com/ndee85

Here is a preview what the game looks like on a computer. I hope this will help Alex to improve the blenderplayer port! You are doing a great job so far!! :slight_smile:
Outer Space - Prototype Game

Really cool Andreas, thanks!

More demos are welcome of course. I’m going to show it at Siggraph to a lot of people :slight_smile:

Hmm. What is better with the new Versions of andriod and stuff? I mean are there major differences?

Great ndee :slight_smile: