GSoC 2012 - Bullet Integration

Don’t worry there’s very little overlap between this project and Phymec’s work, if any at all.
The tools he implemented work on top of the game engine, Joshua and I work on using bullet without the game engine.
Actually this project should make Phymec’s life easier in the long run since the game engine wasn’t designed for the kind of stuff he’s doing.

I like how the open movie projects acts like a vortex for devs to work on their dev work for blender fundation.

Imagine a shattering tool in C instead of python (doing 3d voronoi shattering calcs. must be faster in C than Python) and integrated with new bulletphysics. drool! no more game engine hacks and record billions of keyframes.

Hi guys. I just recently started to fool around with blender coding. I’m working with SPH in my PhD (Engineering) so I can help out a bit on that side (well any physics related stuff I hope).

Now I found this thread: http://bulletphysics.org/Bullet/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=8154 on the bullet page and this looks rather good. What I saw from the few days looking at the code is that there are some difficulties with mixing different types of physics. So I would want to hear your opinion on whether or not it would be good to support this fluids v2 / bullet coupling in order to eventually put it into blender.

Sounds great… Blender has SPH but not in bullet… It would be great to have it in bullet and opencl accelerated. Currently SPH is in the particles section of blender and needs a way of meshing the particles so that it can be rendered. Using mballs chokes blender. I am sure any help that you can give would be greatly appreciated by the community

This is great!

There are openCL particles for the BGE in work, perhaps they would become relevant.

Nice!!! Now we have cache system to bullet integration! And speed factor for world!
But for some reason the forces crashes blender when they added as effectors… :frowning:
Another thing is that when a particle system is added to a rigid body object it don’t stick to the object, it keeps emitting on original position only…
Waiting for animations support and constraints!!!
We almost there… almost there…

I want to thank the dev’s for the hard work!!!
(Especially for Aligorith and Sergof)
Thank you all!

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=33964

Ever.

@Azrael3000 ------> http://physbam.stanford.edu/

not in blender, would be awesome if it could be in blender. it has no problem doing physics sims of different kinds in same domain.

Hi everybody!
Sorry for the lack of updates on my part, I did a lot of bugfixing and ‘under the hood’ work in the last weeks but I also added a couple of features.
I’ll try to make a video showing the current state of bullet integration soon (have to fight with recording software first).
If you want to know what I’m currently working on you can check my TODO list, (now with fancy progress bars :)).

I fixed the effector crash a couple of days ago.
Also I’ve added an option to animate active objects (you can also animate this setting and switch from animated to dynamic midway through the animation).
You can find it in my branch or wait until Aligorith merges it into his.

The particle system problem is actually a much bigger underlying design issue. The problem is that the rigid body simulation is run at the very end (after animation system and the other sims) this will change in the future but it’s one of the more tricky parts of blender so please be patient.

Please, forgive my haste… I just can’t hold myself…
I just started to follow the bullet integration since the Aligorith started first tests long time ago…
I’m very happy to see all this progress!!! And with fancy progress bars!!! :slight_smile:

Thank you!
I will be patient! :slight_smile:

Ever.

Can’t wait to play with :wink:

Here is my try to build the sergof branch for OS X:

http://www.4shared.com/zip/ljHjHNFH/Blender_BulletIntegration.html

Quick tips:

• Don’t forget to apply scale of the objects. If you face some objects exploding away from your scene, just apply scale;
  • Convert your quads to tris to get more detailed collisions;
  • Make use of the “Copy from Active” in tool bar to manage multiple objects.

Pelase, let me know if the build works… :slight_smile:
Have a nice Bullet Time!

Ever.

Is this branch going to be merged with fried chicken eventually? Ive got several GB of built branches in my HD…

Hi eversimo,

is there a reason why not uploaded to graphicall? would be better “findable” by the community :wink: thanks anyway.

(“You should Sign Up or Login to download this file” no thanks …)

Thanks for the build Eversimo, indeed as Bashi said it would be easier to put it on graphicall.

Sergof, thanks for your work, that’s a terrific GSOC projet. I’ve seen in your todo the possibility to add some motors, that’s very exciting. Have you seen what they add in the last version of Cinema 4D? Here are some fun examples.

That’s unlikely to happen, at least not soon. Sorry for the inconvenience but it just makes much more sense to keep working the way we do now.

It’s still not quite clear how constraints will be exposed in blender. I’ll try to make them as powerful and simple to use as I can of course, so we’ll see when I get to it (hopefully soon).
Feedback is always welcome!

Also thanks for the build eversimo!

Here is win64 build

click

umm… could someone do a tutorial to show how to use the bullet thingie?
and what its capable of? it seem like it would be be pretty cool, if i does what i think it can.

(Can it set objects in the scene like in real life like for instance set things on the ground,
have things collide with other things, seems like it may be useful for setting up shots)

I’ve requested to be an “uploader” at graphicall but for some reason I can’t… :frowning:
But if someone have the ability to upload there and is ok to register and download my build, I would appreciate the help…
@demohero: Can you help me with this? :slight_smile:

Also thanks for the build eversimo!
At least I can build… It would be better to help on coding… but I can’t. :frowning:
I don’t even know how to make some text lines return a “Hello World”… :slight_smile:

Ever.

Of course. It’s in already. Click here.