Helpful info about making spaceships

Oh dang, you’re right! Yeah, that would require searching the new site as I am sure they re-structured the whole thing. If I run across any of those threads again, I will update the link as I go.

Sorry about that.

Kevin

In the blendering earth tutorial I don’t get the earth mask to look right: All my settings are like yours, but instead of seeing a kind of “silhouette” of continents I see one big blak preview-screen. Do you know what I do wrong? Maybe newer blender version?

Somehow I don’t get the mask in the “Earth-tutorial” right. Instead of seeing a nice silhouette of the continents, I see one big black preview-window. Do you know what’s going wrong?

I try to do your earth tutorial, but the water mask doesn’t work, when clicking neg-alpha I get a big black preview-window. I think that’s because there’s no alpha in the texture, but I took exactly the same image as you did, only a little lower resolution. (2048 pixels broad instead of 8192) How come?

If it has no alpha channel and it’s a different size, then it’s not the same image. You can add an alpha using The GImp or Photoshop, just do a color range selection on the water or something like that. Also, if you are good, you don’t need the mask, there are ways to get good results without it.

Kevin

Ok, thank you for the explanation.

Sorry for the 3 messages: After posting my question firefox crashed, and that happened 3 times, so I thought no message was added. This was confirmed by myself, as there was no message under your last message. Forgot to check the second page:o:spin:

Actually remember that a spaceship that only flies thru space need not be aerodynamic and can be almost any shape, with whatever protrubences sticking out.

Also, a ship that does not have a human crew but is instead automated may not need to be airtight.

far trader, I’m thinking big Borg cube ship there.

Found the Alternate Perspective Online (ap3d) links!

main page from which all tuts can be accessed

modelling link, as above

lighting link, as above

Hope this is useful and thanks for the great resource.

Hey, Thanks a ton for this, I’m sure I’ll definately be looking into all of these links!(I’ve already just skimmed all of 'em but I’m betting I’ll actually do every single one that I have the software for, lol.)

Okay, I have a couple of questions here.

1. Is there a smooth edges thing in Blender, or do you need to find a plug-in for it just like you need to do with Lightwave.

2. Is there any painting software out there like Photoshop that is free, as Blender is to Maya? I need something to create my background, but can’t aford Photoshop.

3. A little n00bish, but how do I create circles on the surface of a ship, or lay splines to make a custom shape?

~:spin:SunWalker:spin:~

It seems the links to KevinW’s tutorials are broken, are they hosted somewhere else, do they cover the creation of planetary rings?

Thanks for the great resource links.

Hi. I fixed the links, but these tutorials are getting old fast (especially one Blender 2.5 gets here). I’ll also see about finding a tutorial on making basic rings.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for then new links, old your tuts maybe but I’ve used the earth tut in a project, I’ve attached some images of planet I’ve made with your tut.

http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/6321/challynn.th.png

http://img21.imageshack.us/img21/4017/fromynn.th.png

http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/1600/katrynn.th.png

I’m looking forward to your basic rings tut.

Cheers.

Semel, its very good. my only crit is that in the top image, increase the harness so that the specular flare is less.