Is Blender's video editor worth learning? Is there a better free alternative?

I wish I could 5 star this quote!

VIdeo editing is something where spending a little money can end up saving you more money. I use Premiere, and some functions can save hours of work. For instance when you record audio separately, you can just auto-sync it. That’s like a magic trick! I remember having to synch audio and video manually, it sucks. That feature alone makes it worth it.
I did try Resolve a while ago, but I think my PC at the time was not good enough to use it, at least when exporting it somehow always skipped frames and got the sound out of sync in the final video file. Not even sure how or why. I also had to install huge amounts of Microsoft Visual Libraries and things like that.
TLDR: sometimes free can be very costly if your time is worth anything. Get free tools for some stuff, paid tools for others. You only live once.

This is not necro the guy above me did it first🙃

Kdenlive underwent a major code refactoring this April and got a lot of stability and bug fixes.

Might be worth to check it out again

They got windows builds now

Haha, whoops. I didn’t realize the post was so old :older_man:

As Blender users and developers, we must face the fact that apps like Resolve are orders of magnitude more advanced, with way higher performance, proper clip management and all the features you’d need.

I personally find the built-in editor to be lacking in various ways, but that may be because I use Final Cut Pro instead and am very used to it. There are several good open-source video editors that will do everything you need and which support a very easy workflow – many people speak well of ShotCut, for instance. When you’re in the midst of editing, searching for the very-best frame to cut on, you need to be very fluid and comfortable with your tool, no matter what it is. It needs to be what works best for you, because you will be spending many hours working with it.

Though i don’t know it well i think you can do much more with blender than with a standard video editor; ie like motion tracking.

A nice simple and free video editor with some filters is shotcut. I use it often as it’s stable, simple and efficient.

happy blending !

It’s definitely true that Blender’s tools are in some cases aware of what “outside tools” are not … namely, “Blender’s world.” Sometimes you need to use Blender’s tools even if you only use them to complete “a particular shot.” The beauty of the Blender system is simply that it does give you “choice.”

I’ve been using Hitfilm Express for a while now and it’s very useful, well documented, and free.

1 Like

Same here and i am very satisfy with it!

1 Like