Kai - Creature Design

I love it!! It’s a great concept and realization! The only thing that slightly bothers me is the chromatic aberration but this is criticism on a very high level and just my point of view :wink: Awesome work dude!

I love this character design. Great work man!

The smaller square thumbnail in blenderartists header is pretty disturbing because you can’t quite make out what it is. So I had to come and check it. :smiley:

You replicated some of skin looks such as shadowing, wear & tear and scarring pretty convincingly which makes it even more…well better I suppose. :smiley:

Great work, and congrats on the feature! :smiley:

Great character, @AlinB! Glad to see you finished it :slight_smile:

I would Love to see an animation for this.

Wow awesome work AlinB very solid character and execution in regards to modeling, texturing and lighting. Hell the hole thing is great! Glade to see you made top row congrats man you deserve it:)

I think its great. DOF is good AND it seems that there is some lens distortion in the corners which add to making it look like a photograph. - Almost seems to have some CA in there too. I see there are only 3 digits/toes - classic animated character?

Looks great, I’d just tone down the chromatic abberation.

Looking at the image up on the row, I didn’t expect this to have legs :stuck_out_tongue:

You’ve raised the bar for fugly my man, nice work!:))

Awesome modelling and texturing!

F(*&^435%$#% NICE! DUDE ROMANIA GOT SKILLZ!!! would like to see your talent on official blender project :smiley:

I think it looks great.

Besides your Blender modeling skills, do you also draw with great skill, I mean pen on paper? Just curious really, as it appears it takes some artsy skill to pull that character out.

Really cool, nothing more to say…

He he, reminds me of that pink b***sack Tony Harrison, from the Mighty Boosh. Keep up the great work - inspirational!

A very cool grumpy guy :slight_smile: Nice work

Wooow…
That was a amazing amount of comment in such a short amount of time.
First of all, I`ll thank you all for all your kind words and the critiques.

Funny story is that, I was actually kinda pessimistic about this piece because all my family saw the image and they were: " What`s with this deamon here? How were you able to stay in front of such a ugly guy for such a long time " … so yeah. XDD
I glad you guys like him anyway. >.>

I`ll now try to reply to every one of you who commented.

For everyone that asked, I dont think Im going to animate him… Sorry. Im not a too good animator. (it never looks natural... I think its a waste to work on my animation skills in this point when you can just track a real man acting and transfer that to the character which adds 100% natural motion to the character. So I`ll just wait till that is better implemented in Blender.)

And for everyone again, I agree with the chromatic abberation. It may be a bit too much. But ain`t going to change that now. Sorry.

Single eyes don’t give any paralax information to the brain, thus no depth perception. That would make it kind of hard to hunt with projectile weapons such as spears. Maybe give him another pupil in that ginourmous eyeball. Or, maybe, when you animate him, make sure his eyeball is constantly sweeping back and forth (like a Battlestar Galactica cylon).

@ Orinoco : You are totally right. The concept is not completely mine though. So I can blame creaturebox for that lol. (< joke warning)

I like the blur. CG artists usually refuse to blur or hide any of their models in any way which imo detracts from the believability of the scene. This is perfectly done. Amazing work.

@ BrentNewton : Thanks man. Actually I had almost nothing to hide when I was blurring the background excepting the grass.

No words to describe about your skills.
You are reaching top top and top, day by day.Such a dedicated boy you are.
BTW This is extraordinary output. I love this character. Seems to be like a decent fellow :stuck_out_tongue: & good Guardian :slight_smile:
Modeling is really Neat model. good texture.
Lighting , i need to appreciate it, looks fantastic… It has the feel, but still it can be much more saturated even shadows are also a bit dull.
Compositing, Loved your lens distortion.
Good work Brother… Simply superb & 5 stars from me… (Even i can give you 10 stars, but here 5 is the limit :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :wink: )

@ Ramaswamy: Maaan… you always make me blush when I read your comments to my work . xDDD
Anyways, thanks a lot my friend. :wink:

Character is great! Environment looks wrong - of less importance of course. The texture of the ground is not receding in any expected way… Instead it looks like a curved seamless backdrop or a wall behind the character. But then there would be no grass I think… It would give more of a desert look to have a horizon, even a hazy one. There is a peculiar zone just below his shoulder where the backdrop comes back into focus that makes it particularly hard to read.

@ vii7 : I had that in mind when I was doing the environment but I thought it would have been too much weird lighting and contrast with that bright sky. It would have been too much for me to handle and focus on balancing everything, I suppose…
So I choose this studio kind of environment instead with a touch or realism.

Wowww, this is very good. :slight_smile: Great character, I like his eye… so unique. But I prefer the colors in the second image, the skin looks more pleasant; in the first, his feets are too red (it might be a saturation problem).

@ LeopoldCodeC : I also like the colors in the second one. It seems more natural for some reasons. Maybe because in real life is a lot more shadow than we see in studios where they can control every shadow and highlight.

Great character, @AlinB! Glad to see you finished it :slight_smile:

@ TheLuither : Yep, I finished it. Glad you like it. :wink:

Wow awesome work AlinB very solid character and execution in regards to modeling, texturing and lighting. Hell the hole thing is great! Glade to see you made top row congrats man you deserve it:)

@ DerekG1080: Hey, Derek, I`m happy to see you like it.

You’ve raised the bar for fugly my man, nice work!:))

@ goodfoot : (reading ones) (writing) Thanks man! (checking on google what “fugly” means) LOL… thanks for teaching me a new word. xD Glad you like it. (yea sure… fugly is your nickname) (< joke warning)
note: (the words from here) - mean what I`m thinking in my head.

F(*&^435%$#% NICE! DUDE ROMANIA GOT SKILLZ!!! would like to see your talent on official blender project :smiley:

@ Hanzo : Lol… Awesome man. Im glad you like my skills lol. Romania eh... awesome country right? Thats why I want to study abroad. XDD
As far as official blender project goes… firstly I dont think Im that good to get in the team, to be honest. And secondly, I`m too busy with school now for full time projects like this unfortunately. :frowning:

I think it looks great.
Besides your Blender modeling skills, do you also draw with great skill, I mean pen on paper? Just curious really, as it appears it takes some artsy skill to pull that character out.

@RafaeILVX : The funny thing is that I really enjoy drawing. Its actually something I cant live without… :slight_smile:
But I`m not sure if it is really that obvious in my 3d work…

Thats about it. Sorry for not replying to really everyone… XD
I really do appreciate your opinion though, and I`m very glad you like it. :slight_smile:

Here are the ss I promissed :

The model and 3d view:

Character shader node explained:

SSS effect on the shader:

Ok, here is the last ss from the compositor.
It`s kinda messy … I can barely understand anything at first look… but I colored everything to make it easier and prettier for you guys. :smiley:

I hope it helped. This was the longest post I ever made lol.

Cheers!

It starts at the top and continues from bot left. It`s also really small and hard to read… sorry for that…

:yes:…Really nice work man…Great character…