"Last Whisper" - Kalin Parushev's animated short WIP

Crzy skills bro! Really like to see the final end result!

God. So much. DETAIL!

When are you gonna post some renders though

Thank you for the nice words, Rombout. I am doing my best, but I am nowhere near some of the people you can find in the ‘Sketchbooks’ section. I learn a lot from there and continue to do so.

Misadventure, I have decided not to spend time on lighting, compositing, shaders and so on…at least for now. It is a very ‘delicate’ field that will come later. I am trying to stay organized and do things step by step. Right now I am focused on creating interesting silhouettes character wise, something I learned from watching a concept artist explaining the importance of it. I understand that people like to see good compositions and vivid colors, I am one of them, but I am trying to create a personal workflow that is efficient and works for my needs…+ there are tons of things I learn on the go. Thank you for the encouragement, though.

First update for today, while I take a short break(Saturday, eh):

Main character hands. Good thing I don’t have to work on the whole hand(dodged that bullet).

Second update:

The legs.

Update for today:

Meanwhile…

This is the proxy castle with interior nearly finished. I made it this way, because…well, hopefully it will come clear soon enough.

The wall add-on was not used. Windows and all was measured and created so they can fit the plan.

Obviously a lot of assets are missing. I am excited myself to see it finished, but still a long way to go.

And few more.

Second update for today:

Did something a bit relaxing. Started working on a horn and a spear for the grunt. Some work on his hands and pants as well. The pants are getting there…slowly.

Last update for today(weekend goes by so fast):

I think the cape concludes all the things I imagined for the main character. From here, its just refining.

Used the cloth sim and intend to use it for the animation…hopefully.

Update for today:

Removed the mutant’s proxy teeth and started working on the gums and the new teeth. Additional work on the face.

I get a very pleasant ‘tingling’ feeling in my stomach every time I sit down and start working on the project. And even if I am tired, as soon as I see one of the models I get a surge of energy. Color me excited. :slight_smile:

Attachments

Update:

Added a part to the mask. If anyone checks this thread I would love to know your thoughts about it.

Also, figured out a way to sculpt these indented ‘ornaments’ on the armor. If they look good, that’s another story.

Update:

Watched a Ninja Gaiden video for inspiration. By chance, I saw how they did the handle for the hero’s blade. Sometimes nothing can replace the good old fashioned box modeling.

Update:

Earrrrrrrrrrly lighting test. Tried to get the sky and the light as I want them. The shadows, light and so on are…meh.

This is gowing to be tewible.

Update:

The tests continue. Trying to get them god rays but they seem to elude me. :smiley:

Update:

Update:

Aaaaaand…some more work on the MC.

Slight progress with this guy’s face. The gums are lets say finished.

And on this guy as well.

Update:

Today is a proud day for me and a good day for the project.

Found out how to control the smoke in Cycles. Making the snow to behave as if there is a blizzard was the easy part. There is no info out there how to control and animate smoke- at least not what I intend to do. I am quite happy, because from technical stand point, what I had in mind is doable, and most importantly…doable by me deh noob. :slight_smile:

A vewy important test. It doesn’t really look like much now, need to tweak the settings and once it is animated, a difference in the thickness of the wind will be noticeable(the wind tends to raise snow high in the air). I think something like that.

Color me mind-blown. :stuck_out_tongue:

I think get want you want to achieve. The effect needs to be like a sort of haze or fogg, but with wind settings it acts like a blizzard right

Update:

Progress on the grunt, more work on the sword, new one-handed axe and two variations of a helmet.

I consider the other two characters finished. Will probably add some very high-res detail but first will to re-topo.

Perhaps the helmet looks more dominant if you make a bit longer in height. Also I would make the horns thicker where there attached to the helmet.

Note taken. Will try to do it better.

Meanwhile, I made an axe that should belong to the main “bad guy”. Playing around with Boolean and getting nice results. Maybe will play around and sculpt some additional details.

Update:

Shortened the horns. I think its a bit better.

Update:

I feel that the grunt’s face is good enough…at least for my skill level.

Started re-working it to create the antagonist’s face. I will do just few variations for the other grunts. I don’t want to lose myself in it.