Layers for texture paint: new addon

updated texture_paint_object —> image_paint_object so that might fix it! (get it again from the tracker link in the first post)

can we use the projection (gump and photoshop) with those layers?

blend_B I’d call it more of a channel manager, than layers (At least I didn’t notice any layers functionality).

if you add multiple colour, bump or specular maps then within that channel they act as layers…
use the blend mode and “influence” slider to control how the layers mix.

blend_b if you mean the screengrab–>send to gimp/photoshop functionality then yes, this is compatible (you may have to save the images first)

Yay, layers for paint! Great addon.

This add-on is terrific.

I suggest you to add an add alpha button and settings (like resolution, UV channel to use) in Add Paint Layers panel.

I don’t think a pop-up is needed to create or save files.

Is it possible to add a button to save only active paint layer and an extension browser in Save Paint Layers panel ?

Maybe, a reload active layer button can be helpfull.

I agree with LetterRip. Maybe “layers” should be replaced by “channels” in script name.
People could think that these layers can be merged in one image.

channels are like in Mari?

Very nice add-on.
An option to merge layers would be a nice addition, but might be too slow to implement in python.
Anyway, good job.

layers?! awesome dude :smiley:

click attachment tab

thanks Michael W for that. Doest this addon mean we don’t have to go edit mode and select texture in uv image edit for painting (cos that was huge pain in the a*s)?
About merging layers -> baking texture button should do the trick.

Crouch, I agree it’s probably too slow for now…

Jose Conseco, yep that “pain in the a*s” is removed by using this script!

Texture baking is fine, but not as friendly as “merge down” as seen in many 2d editors! (so still worth a shot at some point)

Zeuro: Had some debate on blender coders about the name… Will stick with layers for now!

Those are reasonable requests and I did consider them… you can always save the active layer from teh UV edtor… it should already be there ready when you tab into edit mode. I’m still pondering the "save all generated " function and whether its should prompt the user to choose a “save” directory…

I’m still a little unsure of filebrowser functionality through python… and so far could only get it to save pngs…

…and for the life of me I can’t figure out how to open the browser in “thumbnail” view when loading a brush image!

I’ll be adding more “add alpha”, Add" Spec Col", “add ambient” buttons soon…

am wondering whether the “stencil” option in texture slots could be hi-jacked for “mask layers” too…

In user preferences in the file menu > Show Thumbnails
It is deactivated regarding crashes on defect picture files.

Cheers mib

I have that on… my issue is how to tell the filebrowser I want thumbnail from a script…

man so great this should normally be a part of Blender.

Just need to confirm something, at the moment it’s not possible to have more than one colour channel/ texture enabled?

I have a mountain, with a colour + normal map, yet when I try to add another map and make it’s alpha 0 the whole thing kind of breaks, I can’t paint on the new image map in the viewport, I can’t enable the diffuse channel of the map, and I can’t get it to render. Is it not possible to paint on images with an alpha in the viewport?

Astounding work! +10 Karma.

I haven’t tried this yet, but it looks awesome.

Thank you Michael!

Firstly, Letterip has added this to “contrib” (which makes it one step closer to trunk!.. it may even make trunk after the next stable build is out the door, but we’ll see. :slight_smile:

To test contrib addons:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php?title=Extensions:2.5/Py/Scripts&oldid=133698#How_to_test_contrib_scripts

Second:
I’ve added more “add” buttons, so you can now add almost all of the types you can make a texture influence from within paint mode…

the exceptions are displace (everyone uses the modifier right?) and warp (which I don’t know if it shows up in GLSL…

I also haven’t added any particle types :wink:

note that this and all future updates are in contrib not from the link I originally gave in the first post.

Daniel, you can have multiple textures for each channel type…

you can also go in and map a texture to multiple channels, but that has to be done in the texture context of teh properties window…

so I don’t get the issue… maybe post a blend?

I think I may just be getting confused with the set-up, or my drivers are bad… I have been getting a lot of display issues with the viewport in recent Blender builds… textures disappearing, wrong channels showing up on the meshes etcetera.

I’ll have a play around with it again, if I can’t figure it out I’ll PM you and send you the blend file.

+1 for the particle types!