Legitimate Discussion - Is the BGE something to solidly stick to?

I think it’s because BGE has no plugin mechanism in place - other than Python scripting which is quite taxing performance wise if you want to use that as a bridge toward other languages. Basically you have to modify the source code and ship a custom version of blender to add a different scripting language, instead of writing a new dynamic library that uses an hypothetical C/C++ interface common to all plugins.

I’ve read a number of comments in both the Unity and Unreal forums that suggest the two engines are plagued with the introduction of bugs and regressions at a lightning pace (which can cause a high level of variance in release quality, something that is even true for patch releases). Unity Tech. for instance apparently cannot seem to get to a safe point to release their 5.4 version because of the continuing parade of regressions between beta releases.

At least with Godot, by my experience at least, I have not seen a high level of regression in the important areas if that area of code did not see a major degree of changes and/or rewriting. They too have been doing patch release and they seem to improve things linearly as one would expect.

Honestly game logic is amazing if you know how to wield it,

the difference between bge and unity /unreal is all about the render,
if we a rewritten render for using PBR material workflow(industry standard)
and had environment probes and a single dynamic probe, mixed at runtime using a projection texture, and potentially a world cube map could be mixed in.(skybox)

this is what makes those engines look so real, materials that respond to lighting, and realistic realtime reflections, beyond that it’s all up to the artist.

If bullet 3 lands inside blender, we won’t need a particle system :slight_smile:

sigh Why do we bother trying to explain just what all there is that makes each engine different if you’re just going to ignore everyone (again).

Built in tools, workflow, programming paradigms, scene building paradigms, performance features, physics features, publishing features, ect… But we shouldn’t give a crap about those because the only correct information (and the only information we should care about) comes from the BPR narratives. :rolleyes:

My noob $.02… Without a good support network (which I don’t find this site to be, unfortunately), the number of users for an open source software like Blender will drop as less is improved over time and what IS improved caters only to a relatively few high-end users (mostly the developers). Fewer new users will come online in time if they’re expected to rely on thousands of poorly made tutorials to get up to speed . Unless this software is being taught in schools and/or used in professional software houses, it will never become anything remarkable in the industry for sheer lack of ability to keep up. What you have right now are a lot of non-professional users who TRY to get familiar enough with Blender to finish a complete project, but can’t because Blender either doesn’t meet their expectations or because they can’t get as far with it as they would like (due to poor resources/help).

yes, you can wield much more expansive libraries like unreal or unity, but you can also wield the bge.

Python and blender add a very high level logic system,
it needs low level api function calls, to pass lists of pointers from python to C to perform large iterative operations.

You can manipulate huge models in game engine using kdtree or bvhtree
trying to do the same work iterating each vertex uses far far more resources.

In order for blender to work though, it needs arranged and maintainted and expanded, we need more tricks we all share as well.

The issue stated here is pretty much just a BGE thing, it doesn’t apply to Blender as a whole.

That doesn’t mean 2.8x spells the end of game creation within Blender though, because the plan remains that the BGE will be replaced completely with a new system that is fully integrated into the core in a clean and modern way (and more importantly, a system that source-code developers will actually want to work on).

The one immediate drawback of the new system though is that all existing projects will have to be rewritten, but BGE users will not alone in redoing things since other systems like particles and hair will also be ripped out and replaced.

duplicate post

The issue stated here is pretty much just a BGE thing, it doesn’t apply to Blender as a whole.

That doesn’t mean 2.8x spells the end of game creation within Blender though, because the plan remains that the BGE will be replaced completely with a new system that is fully integrated into the core in a clean and modern way (and more importantly, a system that source-code developers will actually want to work on).

The one immediate drawback of the new system though is that all existing projects will have to be rewritten.

I understand that this is about the BGE, but that doesn’t take away from what I said. You NEED new users in order to keep it alive, and little is being done about that by anyone but the least qualified (noobs like me). The Blender docs are TERRIBLE, and when it comes to the BGE sections, you can double that. Many features are just not documented at all, or are very poorly documented, so nobody who doesn’t already know how to use them are pretty much left out. Period.

More time needs to be put towards helping bring new users online. Young people are the greatest resource for game ideas, but they also lack the skills of the older long-term BGE users.

That’s my beef, and I wanted to be clear about it.

I don’t think UE4 is plagued with introduction of bugs. There’s bound to be a few bugs introduced with each release, but the showstoppers that are found after release are patched with hotfixes. Those users complaining about bugs are probably updating their games for each release which isn’t really good because things change and can somewhat break projects. It can be done but you will have to check everything and may need to rebuild certain parts. If you stay with a certain release for your game it should be more than stable.

Last I checked on the Unreal Forums, there’s a lot of people there who have been seriously impacted by bugs, but often give the developers a pass on that under the idea that “All software has bugs and Epic is epic”.

My impression is that a lot of Unreal users simply don’t care about the bug count (and the priority on fixing them compared to chasing features) so long as they can work around them (in part because of the cult-like atmosphere that has developed around the engine). If you even dare criticize the way that Epic is handling bugs or the “Unreal way” in general, be prepared for a world of hurt.

Unreal engine - https://youtu.be/A3sBZ5Nr4hc?t=6
Godot - https://youtu.be/5ZuQIbMEjLw?t=11
Unity - https://youtu.be/yICsjT6SkbM?t=827
Blender - https://youtu.be/6ROuk0C1_fw?t=23

If I would be into game making I know what I would choose.

Why don’t my p;sts show up until after I go to complain about it? Then they show up as soon as I do.

I’ll have to monitor ALL my posts now…

My impression is that a lot of Unreal users simply don’t care about the bug count (and the priority on fixing them compared to chasing features) so long as they can work around them (in part because of the cult-like atmosphere that has developed around the engine). If you even dare criticize the way that Epic is handling bugs or the “Unreal way” in general, be prepared for a world of hurt.

Funny… I sense a cult-like environment around here.

To be fair, though, you’ll find that in any sizable active community. It’s just part of human nature to protect your interests, and I’m not totally convinced that certain people in fandoms have fully evolved past their natural tendencies.

The only thing to note about that is that the fandom mentality tends to be more or less acute depending on what type of software you use (game engines like Unreal for instance tend to have far more people treating it like a pseudo-religion than other types because of their tendency to attract hardcore gamers, which is a group particularly vulnerable to the fandom mentality).

It’s the same thing with FOSS software (though in an interesting way, people start getting less defensive about those solutions if they get to where they can stand on their own against the commercial vendors. BA’s early days for instance were well known for the rancor of Blender fans whenever they encountered someone who gave an honest comparison between Blender and the commercial offerings (especially in the days before Blender 2.5).

Mr Forward is correct on the subject of the game engine being left on the side of the road.

On the plus side for use of the game engine, and for other out there who may be using very old systems, but I guess some alternative game engine can be used just fine, but not without knowing how to program.

I’m currently using a near thirteen year old Dell, Windows XP 32 bit system, on a Pentium 2.26GHZ 4 processor. I’m thinking of upgrading to a new hardware an old Optiplex 755 2.2 GHZ Intel 2 core the older early late 2007 stuff, for £46, it may not have advanced graphics, but could be okay for basic blender use with the game engine in mind. But certainly would make using a flash site easier. The system is 100% on that site. Not good for computer task stuff.

There are a number of tutorial clips via the video site Youtube which I used first, I then bought the book which focuses on 2.66 still works for far for 2.76, and also began using this forum for the Game engine.

I hope, something can change, but yes as Mr Forward had expressed only new longterm users can make it so. Otherwise the foundation can sort of look at it and see little interest. Then we go back to the route of the problem, a strong knowledge base that can be easily transfered with each new version.

Well for me blender has been great. I like the game engine…but… it feels like i have to force the game engine to work… I dont like that… The basics work great but there is somethings… somethings that I have to really really work at to work. Some of that is just my inability but I feel that some of it is the software also… I feel that IF the developer works hard and the ENGINE is good then the out come will become great. I feel that the BGE is trying to be good but isn’t all the way there… So im puting some hope into the Armory plugin…

oo

Yup… someone is playing GateKeeper on this site. Satanic!

I wouldn’t call the idea of self-appointed ‘bouncers’ (those community members who take it on themselves to shut down anything and anyone critical of a software) Satanic by any stretch.

Please make sure you’re using a word properly before posting it.

My impression is different. Besides bugs aren’t reported in the forums but instead in the answerhub. The way Epic deals with bugs is by fixing them (according to priority) and I find that hard to criticize. It’s easy to work around bugs since the major ones are hotfixed shortly after releases.