Luxrender 1.6 RC1

Hey stay cool. Dade and the whole Luxrender team do it for free. It’s a beta version, it’s made to improve it through user testing.
This feature is a must today. Because it takes way to much time to reconvert your evermotion/chocofur whatever library again yourself when you work crazy whole day already. Corona was smart enough to offer the VRay material converter, I’m pretty sure it made a huge part of the quick adoption.
So definitely a really good addition :slight_smile: Let’s fine tune it to bring it on paar with the rest.
If anyone know how to set the new variance clamping in blender with Path openCL

Further testing, I found a regression in the biased path OpenCL. In 1.5, it was very fast with GPU and CPU, now cpu alone is much faster. It seems only one tile is computed at a time. In 1.5, many tiles where rendered in parallel.
The new image pipeline is awesome :slight_smile: Real time tonemapping and bloom in the viewport is just so much faster for color adjustement and fine tuning!

I’ve been testing LuxRender in Blender but I’m always getting really really bad performance, on a GTX 580 but also on a Titan. Using Path tracing for the viewport, openCL for GPU and CPU, but it’s always super slow and unusable.

http://www.pasteall.org/pic/show.php?id=101983

Right now there is a bug in the viewport with border rendering. While it shows up just the correct part being rendered, the complete frame is being rendered instead, what is obviously much slower.

Also, the Blender’s API doesn’t provide a fast way to pass the image buffer from the plugin to Blender, so using a big viewport window makes it extremely slow, even if the rendering is fast.

The first issue will probably be solved in the foreseeable future, while the latter depend on Blender API improvements.

For now, avoid using border rendering in the viewport (it works fine for final renderings), and try to keep your viewport small.

That’s because currently LuxBlend does not recognize the border you set in the viewport/camera for viewport rendering. It is only used in final renders.
So Lux renders actually your whole viewport window, not only the part in the border.
The only workaround for this is to use a smaller viewport window for the preview.

Of course it is planned to implement viewport border support at some point, but it’s a bit complicated to do.
Another thing that will improve the viewport responsiveness once it’s implemented will be a reduced resolution at startup.

Hmm this guys to a lot of work on these render engine, but my question is: why would i want to use Luxrender instead of Cycles?

Thanks BYOB, it’s much better now. Not as reactive as Cycles unfortunately, but much better.

Physically correct shaders maybe or OPENCL or personal preference… who really cares?
The more options you have, the more chances you have to find your place in this shitty world.
:stuck_out_tongue:

hehe, good answer. So far I have not found any other reasons.

LuxCore has many features missing in Cycles actually and is really fast on AMD cards.

I wanted to go on luxrender.net but what about their site is don’t show it from now ?

I can confirm that the website is no longer reachable.

It comes and goes atm., we are on checking whats wrong with the server.
Try again, just checked as i write here and the site worked again.

Jens

Ok it works here, thx.

Well, full deformation blur is nowadays a must for an animator - simply because there always comes a moment where you need to use it.
It’s a factor that kept me with cycles compared to other more advanced renderers(in the sense of better path tracing algorithms mainly).
But the fact that Embree supports it is a good news, hope somebody can implement it in the near future.
Does this also mean curved motion blur?

today it seems that the website is unreachable…just me?

^confirmed, it’s down

ps.
when in doubt, you can use http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/# or similar “Is it down…?”

God, I love this renderer. You guys are doing absolutely amazing work on it! Thanks for all the time and effort, and also for sticking to it and not abandoning the project like what happened to a ton of other renderers. Just awesome. Keep up the great work!

I’ve finally come back to Lux Render to stay. I’m using it to render some demo videos of the Fracture Modifier destruction simulations. It’s working out great. Like my FM docs, the Lux docs have a lot of details. I’m working through the details and I hope to include some Lux workflows with my FM workflows. That should lessen the learning curve of both products by providing some use cases and beginning point settings.

I have found the few places on the Lux site that have animation information about settings and preferences. Does anybody know of a good website tutorial showing how to use Lux in animations? I’m doing ok already I would just like to learn any extra tips and tricks to up my level of excellence.

Thanks and Lux ON!

Amazing work, thank you! <3