Material method not showing on object in viewport

Do what he said first, i didnt see his reply.

im on 2.76 and by only downloading the file, and setting it to material view i get this:
https://gyazo.com/c47fbac63c1463c455aaec7dcadcb32e
(purple color is due to lack of texture, nothing wrong here)

so everything is working for me. it might be something with your blender, or some settings u’ve messed with.

Try this:

1. Open a fresh new blend file, press A to select everything and delete it.
    set it to Cycles Render from the Info Bar on the top.
    Split the view in half, and make one of them the Uv/Image editor
    Now click Open, and add Any image, does not matter what as long as it has colors in it.
    Add a Plane in the 3D viewport
    Go into edit mode, and press U, then unwrap, then go back into object mode.
    Now with the object selected, go to the Properties panel under Material, add a New Material and set Color to Image Texture.
    https://gyazo.com/ce048134845bca6f858fe97d5ee91486
    Select the image you added previously as a texture

https://gyazo.com/07f16a7ccc3a50ca2320f32c0171c1f5
at this point, you should see the texture you added being applied to the plane.
is this correct?

finalbarrage, I followed your steps using 2.76b. Still, the material shading only shows the object black despite adding a colorful wood texture image. I wanted to try your method before attempting to download and install the newest version. Thank you for your helpful suggestions.

Attachments

RickyBlender, I downloaded 2.77, unzipped the folder, and attempted to run blender.exe for v.2.77. I received an error when I attempted to run the program. Blender did not run. Do you have any suggestions regarding a fix for this. Thank you.

did u get latest daily built at buildbot for you OS

which OS are you using

put it in it’s own folder then unzip it there ?

delete and try to unzip again it should work

just did a test for procedural texture and it works fine
with version from 2 weeks ago

if it does not work toady and wait 2 or 3 days and try another version
there might be a bug in the daily built !

happy bl

Attachments

RickyBlender, it seems to work perfectly for you. I will follow your suggestions. Yes, I downloaded 2.77 Windows 32-bit from the link you provided. Attached are my OS specifications.

I did not try the latest buildbot in a while
but it is possible there is a bug
so wait like 1 or 2 day so they clear up the bugs then try again

but it should work fine normally

happy bl

RickyBlender, I deleted the unzipped folder and unzipped the compressed folder again. After doing this, I attempted to run the official daily build 2.77 blender.exe. Again, the same error displayed. Attached is the page showing which one I downloaded from the link you provided.

Attachments

I doubt this would create a bug like that

I mean if you can run the normal bl installed then it should also run the other one !

but not certain about the W32
I use win64

may be someone with win 32 can help here

happy bl

Blender lists opengl version in system info which you can generate in help menu -> system info. In Blender 2.76 it’s then accessible in Blender text editor, just have to switch to it from the editor type menu or shift+f11, and then choose the system-info.txt from the list which is on the editor header.

One way to determine if it’s a graphics related issue is to run Blender without hardware acceleration. For that, Windows version needs one of these ftp://ftp.blender.org/sergey/softwaregl/ in the Blender folder. Could then run Blender and if it launches, it’s a graphics related issue.

JA12, your information finally allowed me to discover what OpenGL version is on my computer.

It appears that my OpenGL version does not meet the basic requirement for Blender, which is v.2.1 or newer. Next, I am going to follow your suggestion of determining if a graphics related issue exists. Thank you for your helpful suggestions.

It’s already a graphics issue when the required OpenGL version can’t be met, no need to seek further. Blender uses OpenGL for drawing the user interface and 2.77 requires OpenGL 2.1, you have 2.0. Need to upgrade hardware to get that sorted out. OpenGL libraries come with the graphics drivers and the card/drivers also have to support it.

if you still have old Vista 7 I would suggest it is time you get a new PC
and it is very possible win32 wont be there with BL 2.8

in any case new PC will run at least 3 or 4 time faster then the one you have
and have video card with latest OpenGL

happy bl

RickyBlender, you have made some excellent points. It is time to do some PC consumer reviewing and research. A much faster PC would be most welcomed.