Micro poly mountain

Great, am looking forward!

Thanks for starting tips

Two more tests.
Resting resolutions and render times on my machine.
I think the results are pretty.

This white one was rendered at 5000X5000 pixels and can be seen in the link below…

Glenn

Attachments

Looks realy impressive! what about render time?

Quite slow. 15 hours for the white one though setting the subdivs to 11 rather than 12 made it very much faster.

This is really nice !

@grsaaynoel: Amazing results :smiley:

But wow, 15 hours… that’s a bit impractical! Maybe you have some overkill setting somewhere?

This render took only 11 minutes, 1980p, rendered with CPU Corei7, not even on a GPU. A mix of Noise and Voronoi procedural textures for the displacement.

I tried to add more geometry to the scene, even a volumetric fog cube. But that completely distorted the displacement. OK, that why it’s still experimental :wink:

Attachments

Yeah it was quite cranked and rendered at 5000X5000 pixels. I have had it render much faster at lower resolutions and settings.

G

It will be nice to be able to fill scenes with displacement that’s accurate to the Cycles material in question

tried to add more geometry to the scene.

Aah, now it makes sense, sorry for overlooking - yes, those hi-res renders were worth it!

A 16 thousand pixel displacement map displaced out of a single polygon.
Full Rez render below.

Glenn

Attachments

Great tests, keep 'em coming!

Awesome tests grsaaynoel!
Can you shortly describe how you generated this spiral displacement?
World Machine?

Thanks!
Manuel

Heightmap is generate by WorldMachine - but what about diffuse map? Is it a shader made in blender or it’s diffuse map made in WorldMachine? What is a resolution of heightmap for this picture:

Greetings

It was a height map generated in terragen (which is where I added the spiral distortion) then exported to world machine where I eroded it and extracted the colour maps.

G

The diffuse map was created in WM but I also split out masks there so I could use different shaders in blender. The snow is a glossy map with the rest being a simple diffuse shader. The map size is 16385X16385.

G

Thanks alot!

wow 16k… never even tried generating such a map in world machine. What was the computational time? (and ram used?)

It took about 5 hours on my PC at work which is stacked with ram (not sure how much though)

G

Thanks… yeah I guess ram is the main issue. I have 16gb and I am not sure they are enough for a 16k map. Curious though, I will give it a try when I have time.