My antivrus prog blaims blender 2.45 for virus on WinXP

hi, I went to www.virustotal.com and had it scan file avutil-49.dll and only two antivirus programs reported the file as a virus and they were F-Secure and Kaspersky they both reported Result as Constructor.Win32.JpegOfDeath.d they scanned using 32 antivirus programs. Some of the more noted antivirus programs were AVG, McAfee, Symantec . I have charter internet and it’s security suite is F-Secure. I’m still waiting to here back for charter.

hi, I was checking and it looks like F-Secure uses the definitions from Kaspersky.

Has anyone got any solid infomation on whats going on yet. Is it just a misunderstood file?
I hope there is a solution because I have to render out some 3d elements to bring into after effects.

You shouldn’t be affraid of using it.
False alarms happen all the time and since nobody ever reported any problems with this virus, it pretty sure doesn’t exist.

Just use Blender. :slight_smile:

The jpegofdeath virus CAN’T BE in a DLL file.

The virus is basicly an alterred jpeg file which executes several system commands.

So, these virus scanners are all stupid.

Greetings

Little things like this are the reason why i keep a separate un-networked computer.

Well, couldn’t you shove an infected jpeg (perhaps accidentally) into the resource fork of a DLL (or EXE?).
Dosen’t seem terribly likely and defniatly not an intentional attack vector (if you’re sending a dll … and the point of making a virus a jpeg is to get people to execute it unknowingly, no?)

As already told yesterday I sent an email to Kaspersky regarding this issue but got no answer yet.

Today my Kaspersky prog downloaded a new virus definition file (Mar-11 4:42:53pm CET). I re-scanned blender as installer and after installation and the problem is gone.

No virus alert anymore. hmm

Still strange. Some of you reported the same issue. Could you please verify the disappearance of the virus report on your systems after definition file update? If you see the same as I then I propose to label this a false alert.

Thanks.
Tib

I remember two years ago when after my antivirus program update Firefox was reported to have virus. And once Java.
It just happens sometimes. Usually the next antivirus update solves the problem. So do not be so shocked.

Hi, I just tried starting blender and the virus problem is gone from my antivirus software. It had updated about 1 hour ago.