My Scene

The lighting - it’ll never be 100% black. You should, for example, add a hemi with sky colour and 0.02 energy. Othrtwise it looks very distorted and the contrast approach feels wrong

Ive been trying some of your idea’s- and it seems to look better- Does it?

I hope its better, Thanks for all of the help- I will keep implementing these things, and if there is anything glaringly bad please tell me and I will fix it right away.

Fredstash

P.s I found a bloom filter on some thread- and they didn’t know where it was from, so if anyone knows where another one is I would be willing to look.

Where I usually do edge split is on edges which face the ground. Think of the edge of the sole of a shoe, or the bottom of a cup. The top should be smooth, but if the bottom is smooth too you get the black shading from underneath blending up on to the sides.
I’ll try to post an example if I get a chance.

EDIT:

Top row is viewed from above, bottom row is viewed from below.
A/D has an edge split on the bottom edge, but top is smoothed.
B/E is all smoothed.
C/F is split top and bottom. This has the nicest shading, but the top looks un-natural.

IMHO A/D is the best compromise between nice smoothing and natural shading.

Sorry it’s been a while since my last update- I have been working on lighting and fixing terrain issues

@Smoking_mirror I don’t know what you are referring too.

Thanks for all of the help so far everyone.

Fredstash

the ground has textures but the tree does not

Here is a sword for the main character

Thanks for the help, and any critiques for the sword are welcome

It looks to smooth in my opinion, it needs some edge splits. Otherwise it is looking good and fits the rest of your scene. In the scene you should maybe improve the tree a bit. Also reduce the saturation of your colors (especially the sky), makes it look very cartoony, if that´s what your going for keep it ;D

Thanks for the suggestion, my sword definitely needed an edge split

I will begin work on the trees and I am currently in the process of making a shield

Thanks for the views and the comments

Fredstash

I’m sure they need work (the lighting in the last picture is better, more updated than the previous ones)

I hope they both fit together well- I watched a youtube video that changed how I texture objects (all of it done in blender)

Thanks for all of the help

Fredstash

I’m not sure if these are any better

They fit better with the tree house.

Edit: I may try to make the terrain more cartoony

They are betteer, but for the leaves - decrease specularity. Set it’s intensity to somewhat very low.

I decreased the specularity on the tree (you will just have to believe me). Here is my first attempt at a character for this game.

Any suggestions on how to improve him would be nice.

Thanks for all of the help.

Fredstash

Looks good character model, but needs texture and correct specularity yet;)

Here is the texturing, I’ve never been very good at human texturing- but the player is the judge so you tell me how it looks.

If everything is looking nice I will start with animations tomorrow.

Thanks for all of the help- I think this game looks the best I have ever done.

Fredstash

The lips are too red and saturated. I don’t think that he’d use lipstick. Make them less saturated, please. And not so red:D

You can also try adding nostrils to the texture. And some basic shading on hands so that it looks like he’d have fingers.:wink:

He’s supposed to wear lipstick:eyebrowlift2:.

Joking aside, I tried to fix everything (this is the most time I have spent texturing a person, so this is a new experience trying to get it to look right)

Thanks for the help, I will continue working on this project.

Yeah… Now he looks better. But you could add a little blending between top lip and face(in case if they use the same material):wink:

Evil turtles-

evil turtles

proof he is on his island

Any suggestions on the turtles (texture, way ai will work, etc)
I plan on them being fire turtles (they will spew fire)

Thanks for all of the help. I think I have fixed most everything that was suggested, if not feel free to tell me.

Fredstash

Turtleslooks a bit too shiny. Reduce specular strength and hardness. And they need eyes…

I second blenderrendersk, also you could put a low energy hemi lamp at an angle in the scene to add a touch to the lighting. I know it’s night scene but it could be like a blue moon light or something.