New Cinelerra theme

Yes, they’re hard coded as plugins. In order to build a theme, you need to have the entire cinelerra tree built once. From there, you can compile each plugin individually (as long as you didn’t run a “make clean” at the root). If you have the source there, the monkeytheme directory that in the tarball should be placed in the plugins directory (./cinelerra/plugins, I believe). There are some changes that should be made to the plugins makefile to get it to compile with the rest of the plugins, but those should be pretty trivial changes. Hopefully I’ll be able to find some time to do this tonight.

I’ve been playing around with cinelerra as I’m on linux and need to do some (in my mind) simple compositing. But I can’t figure out how to do any thing.

Are there any easy to follow how to’s about. I’ve seen the ones at cvs.cinelerra.org and they haven’t been much help.

At the moment all I want to do is move the video clips along a bit and have some black screen in front but I can’t figure out what should be a simple thing. This program is a pain.

Any help pleease?

Mr Wonka

“Move the video clips along a bit”? “some black screen in front”? If possible, could you be a little more specific about what you’re trying to do?

As a guess, though, I think you’re trying to do dve moves on your clips. There are a couple ways to do this, but what I usually do is use the Translate plugin and keyframe the locations. It’s not like After Effects, so you can’t really just grab the clip and move it. Rather, you can adjust the location numercially with the Translate plugin’s dialog box. Granted, you might get better results by working with the Compositor window, but this will work for a quick-n’-dirty run through.

For the black screen, I’m not sure what you’re talking about. Maybe a semi-transparent black mask? Make sure your project is in YUVA or RGBA colorspace and you should be able to control the transparency of the layer with the black (which you can create by importing a black image from GIMP or by using the gradient plugin that has both values set to black).

How’s that help?

Yeah sorry about that. I couldn’t think of a way to explain it. Still can’t really but I’ll give it a go.

I bascly want to shift the animation I’ve done along a few seconds. Since the animation starts of with a black screen I just wanted to have ‘more black’.

For an analogy:
In your screen shot on page one you’ve got a sound clip on the bottom that isn’t at the very start. You shifted that along some how and there would be silence in front of it. It’s the same thing really but with a picture.

Doesn’t cinelerra support ‘proper’ drag’n’drop. As in, ‘move it along a bit’ :slight_smile:

Mr Wonka

Ahhhh! I misunderstood, thinking the issue was more complex than it is. The easiest way to shift a video clip along the timeline would be to highlight the amount of space you’d like to have before the clip and “Insert Silence” from the menu (hotkey: SHIFT+SPACE). Make sure that only the tracks that you’d like to shift are armed before you do this… if you want to move them all, arm them all… Cinelerra does have a drag n’ drop mode for controlling the timeline, but I rarely ever use it.

Hopefully that helps.

I’m having the same problem on my Debian Sid install with Cinelerra cvs… how’s the fix coming along?

Thanks!

Hi, well, I downloaded the sources from CVS, put the monkeytheme folder inside hvirtual/plugins, then edited Makefile located there adding “monkeytheme” to the themes list, edited the Makefile from monkeytheme (basicly erasing the tag=CXX option, which didnt work in my system) and compiled.

Still no luck. What am I missing here ?

Best regards

malefico.

Yeah… I’ve had some issues getting it to work with the latest CVS stuff as well. I think I’m going to have to redo it a bit.

OK, success at last !

Make install from main folder didn’t work for unknown reasons (for me at least), but “make install” from monkeytheme folder did work. Now I changed it a litlle bit to please my own taste and I’m enjoying it a lot ! Thanks Fweeb !

Yes, once the main cinelerra stuff was compiled, all I have to do is make clean in monkey folder, edit files as I find suitable, and do make && make install, it works like a charm.

Next step: “malefico’s theme” :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

I’m trying to figure out about image resolution/size of buttons to see if I can make it look more “3D”…

Best regards.

malefico.

malefico.

Sweet! I’m glad you like it! I’d be interested to know what things you’ve changed… maybe they’re things that I should change anyway.

Oh, and the reason why it doesn’t make install from the main folder is because you have to mess around with the Makefiles in the [IIRC] plugins directory and add the monkeytheme stuff there (near the stuff for the other themes - default, bluedot, and micro).

As far as making buttons and what-not look more 3D, it’s just a matter of monkeying around (no pun intended) in GIMP or Photoshop and getting it the way you like with gradients and highlights. I personally prefer a more flat look for my work UI’s, but the change is relatively easy to do. If you’d like, I’d be more than glad to help you in creating your own theme.

Either of you guys happen to be using Debian? I’d really like to try your new theme, but I’m not sure I’m up to the task of compiling (since I’ve never successfully compiled before)…

Thanks.

I’m on Gentoo, but I might be able to make something that works on Debian. The problem with my original binaries [I believe] is that I compiled them with my optimized CFLAGS. If I use standard run-of-the-mill CFLAGS, it may just work.

Are you using the official build or the cvs one?

Hey Fweeb, my main concerns were about being careful in not to change image size/resolution, I guess if I change that, the screen will look totally screwed up right ?
my changes look like this so far:

http://malefico3d.com.ar/wip/cinelerra-monkeytheme-mod.jpg

Just changed menu highlight colour and font. I probably do something about the rounded corners of timeline control but most probably change the ugliest icons I’ve ever seen: cinelerra plugins icons :smiley: . About Makefile, I do edited the plugins/Makefile but somehow it didn’t do the trick. Never mind, I’ve might forgot something

bigkahuna: Sorry, I’m on Mandrake 10. But I’m pretty sure that being on Debian is the best thing to do concerning Cinelerra, just download CVS sources and compile, I’ve heard this sources are meant to compile perfectly on Debian. Then you might try editing the monkeytheme’s Makefile, these:

LTCXX_FLAGS=
(line 150)

OPENEXR = /usr/include/OpenEXR
(line 164)

worked for me.

Best regards.

malefico.

Hi Fweeb, your monkey theme looks great and I’d love to use it, but I’m having the same problem of it not showing up in the themes list (using PLF RPM for Mandrake 10.1 and your precompiled -cvs files). Any word on recompiling it with the standard CFLAGS?