New High resolution sky pack for Blender

GodOfBigThings,

I uploaded respam for you. You can get it here:

http://www.bzfusion.net/skymaps/Misc/ReSPaM-Install.zip

Couple of minor points. a) You should virus check it, just to be safe…I say that because I haven’t, but I got it from a very popular terragen forum, so I doubt there will be anything wrong with it.

b) The only image format it accepts are bitmaps

c) The program is in german, but it’s so simple that that isn’t an issue. I did create a little guide showing you what everything means, check below:

Just click on the boxes, load in your six bitmaps, then hit the convert button. That’s about it.

Just as a last little note, there are better programs out there for converting cube faces (Sanne mentioned Hugin for example), but if you want it as simple as possible, this program is for you.

Thanks ! :slight_smile:

Thanks for uploading!

I have been using hugin for sometime and it doesn’t support cubefaces, unless there’s something hidden I haven’t discovered.

The only way would be to make images with more than 90*90 field of view so they have some overlap. Then the usual stitching using control points, which would take too much time.
It doesn’t support cube faces as a projection.

Looks like a nice simple tool, 0ptikz, thanks for uploading. Will try it in Wine.

Optikz, I don’t want to take over your thread with slightly offtopic discussions, but I’d like to reply regarding Hugin and cubemaps. If you prefer I don’t, please say so and I’ll stop.

GodOfBigThings, you can stitch cube faces to a panorama with Hugin. You don’t need any overlap or control points, because you already know how the images have to be aligned. You just have to tell it to Hugin. It’s a bit more work than with Respam, but works nicely nevertheless. I did it once with these instructions, in case you’re interested:

• Add the cube face as input image
  • specify rectilinear and FoV 90° for input images
  • set all lens correction parameters to 0.0
  • specify the correct yaw and pitch values for the particular image:
tile    front   right    back    left    top     bottom
Yaw      0       90      180     -90      0         0
Pitch    0        0        0       0     90       -90
  • specify the correct output size.
  • specify TIFF without mask or feather (TIFF_m) as output format.
  • don’t set control points and don’t optimize
  • create the panorama

Instructions are from the panotools wiki about extracting and inserting rectilinear views in section “Inserting cubefaces again”.

Whatever the stitching tool, another cool thing with Blender is that you can use its environment map feature to get cube faces of a landscape scene, cut them and insert them in a stitching program to get any kind of panorama.

I once wrote a standalone Python script to cut Blender envmaps into single cubemap images for just this purpose. If there’s any interest, I’ll try to dig it up and post it.

Of course I don’t mind, you’re giving people valuable and relevant information :stuck_out_tongue:

Thank you, Optikz. :slight_smile:

great skies you have made there Optkiz

Thank you very much for the skymaps Optikz, this sort of HDRI maps (sky only) are amazing to use and incredibly hard to come by even commercially, just wanted to point out that you have done a huge service not only for the Blender community but also for all CG enthusiasts, thank you once again :smiley:

Thank you Sir:) Will use these on a project I’m working on Thanks!

Thanks a lot!

Awesome skies 0ptikz!!! Thanks a bunch!

Could you, please, make more night skies and maybe some amazing fantasy/sci-fi skies? Thanks.

Thank YOU for these textures:)

I did the rendering in blender internal, but all animation was done by the kids:

/uploads/default/original/4X/8/5/6/8561dbd4fcabaf8e059453f626e560c089759685.pngd=1324530393

Here’s the animation:

The thread is a bit old but:

Revision: 42742
http://projects.blender.org/scm/viewvc.php?view=rev&root=bf-blender&revision=42742
Author: campbellbarton
Date: 2011-12-19 23:52:17 +0000 (Mon, 19 Dec 2011)
Log Message:

patch [#28094] New equirectangular world texture mapping option

This should do it?

Yes, it does. Thank you, Campbell! :slight_smile:

thanks a lot Optikz! thats awesome; really cool sky textures :slight_smile:

live long and prosper :smiley:@0ptikz

Hey, just noticed that megaupload has been blocked by the U.S. government for something or another, so you might want to move them to a different link. Great skies textures by the way!

I clicked on the megaupload.com link and get a FBI anti-piracy warning notice.

really? :eek: you really don’t know what happened to megaupload? :no:

man you need to read the news more often

I’m just glad that this texture pack was the only thing I uploaded to megaupload…there are people out there who have lost gigabytes worth of files.

Anyone have any suggestions for good alternatives? In the meantime, you’ll have to download the textures individually from the link provided by Olson.

I use Mediafire for sharing files.