as reference when learning the bpy (and to some extent python in general),
so i guess you could say you are a passive mentor :slight_smile:

regarding the tool panel; i know the console says i’m trying to access
vertices that are outside of the range, this is because the mesh reverts
to the state it was before execution when altering the tool panel values,
thereby removing the new vertices.
is there a way to prevent this?

the script does a lot of precalculations/mesh creation when initializing and
in interactive mode only offsets the verts along two vectors, giving a significant
speed boost.
currently this results in the tool panel bug
so can i prevent the mesh from reverting to the original state when changing tool panel values?

also thanks for the ideas, not sure if the dynamic direction one is possible/makes sense for
all types of selections though, and how do i get the position of a point in 3dspace to
screen coordinates?
EDIT: i guess i can do it manually by calculating from camera position etc. but hopefully there is a simple and fast solution

@ oanav
missed your post, i’m actually planning on something like this. might become reality one day

@cedal
i think i will compare the new normals to the old ones and if they are not facing the same direction i’ll just flip them

Great tool! Been hoping for something like this for a long time. Still have to really give it a go, but it looks awesome.

Could it eventually be extended to offsetting/insetting vertex chains, as pappy mentioned, but based on viewport alignment or active Transform Orientation as well?

I propose an interpretation: when a coder achieves its addon, it uses the addons folder of Blender for debugging so when it is issued to others users, some scripts will not run out of the Addons folder which helped create them.
I don’t see an other interpretation for now.

Best wishes to your so good addon, JoS!

Edit: Everybody, since I observed this peculiarity. I analyzed all the scripts that were forgotten by the loading of Blender. And there are many flaws in this field there!
I solved a lot of missing scripts loaded. I can only urge you to do the same.
The possibility of using a remote folder of the installation of Blender, File Menu preferences panel Blender -> line script, is fairly restrictive on the type of script that can benefit! It’s your check.

Changes in the tool panel values do indeed revert the mesh to the old state. As far as I know this is hardcoded in C and can’t be prevented, unless you simply prevent the operator from showin up in the toolbar. (some weeks ago I had a talk on irc, and Ton was surprised that python was allowed to change the ui in the toolbar at all)
So probably the solution (which isn’t very practical, but could work) is to precalculate as much as possible and have the problematic values recalculated on each value change. You can have the interactive mode still use the full precalculations, so that shouldn’t suffer any speed issues.

Campbell just released this today.

oh well, then the tool panel input will be a little slower, i’ve updated the first post with a working version and it now also features Shift for higher sensitivity, and Ctrl for quantized steps

and campbell has great timing, this gives lots of new possibilities. maybe not for this addon though

EDIT updated again with smaller steps when both shift and ctrl are pressed

Really nice and useful addon.
Numeric input on top of that would be fantastic for architectural / mechanical modeling.
But anyway, Great work!

This is fantastic and works great! I would love to see this added to the Wiki and contrib repository. I also agree on the numeric input.

Great indeed! This really speeds up the work. Thanks for the idea, implementation and sharing.
I also vote for numeric input (same reason as @nfloyd).

Very cool addon Jos! Thanks a bunch!

Nice Addon, but hey, i dont know if there is already, but i think it will also be good if you can also do “inset scaling” (dont know if thats the right word) and also, you can also use inset extrude in edges (i think this will greatly help in complicated mesh modeling). :smiley:

the addon now has a wiki page, iv’e updated the first post

Numeric input has been added, and it can also handle mathematical operators from the numpad (/,*.+.-)

It is already enabled and it also works. The only problem is, that the shortcut “I” does not react, but it is activated too in User Preferences - Input - 3D View - Mesh, as you can see on the screenshot. I have saved the User Preferences too.

@blenderissimo
the script you have got to work is not mine. it is the inset polygon addon by howardt. download the file from the wiki and check that you have placed the file in the correct directory.

hi Jos,
i Installed the latest version 0.4, but the script not automatically assign the I key.

Attachments

try disable then enable the addon again. i think if you load a file that was saved without the key correctly mapped before, the key will be unregistered again. will see if there is a workaround to this.

i noticed in the input, wm.inset_extrude is the default assigned is not working.
if i change wm.inset_extrude to mesh.inset_extrude its working.

Attachments

whoops, i’ve submitted the wrong version then. thanks for the heads-up

EDIT: should work now

Thanks JoS, Now working fine.

hI jos, you mentioned something in the wiki about “creating shells” and i cant seem to understand what it does. Can you elaborate some more? I tried doing the instructions but i cant get the same results that is displayed in the wiki. Thanks in advance

Great work JoS!