New rigs: MTI_stickman and devil

I’m sure this is exactly what you wanted to hear, but I found another issue with your rig.

Sometimes the head will unattach, and no matter what I do, I can’t get it to reattach. I don’t know what causes it, but it’s pretty clear that the headattach switch doesn’t work properly. Do you know of any way to fix this?

I have no idea what causes this, but I do know how to fix this. Remove both the IPO and the constraint on the head, save the file, close and reopen blender, and re-add both the constraint, and then the driven IPO channel. This happened before in the V1 when I uploaded it (see one of the earlier posts, with the seperate head) when both the switch, constraints, and ipo were setup to work as they should (double, triple and quadruple checked this) and still the switch did not work.
For an easier fix, you could just set the value of the constraint through the constraint dialogue in the button panels. Because if the switch doesn’t work, you can set the value there without it being updated by the switch.
I have no idea what is causing this, and it’s bugging the hell out of me. I thought it was no longer an issue with the latest uploaded versions. Once again, I doublechecked. I’m starting to believe it is a bug in blender, but I have no idea where to search for the cause of the bug…

2 more things,
1: made a makeshift pixar logo thingy animation last sunday. It’s isn’t as good as your roll animations, but I still kinda like it.
shameless plug: http://youtube.com/watch?v=76_NR-3VH9s

2: Phlopper, you should start with the introduction to character animation here:
http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/BSoD/Introduction_to_Character_Animation
which gives you the basics, which are really important to get right. Anything over that is just experimenting and evolving on top of that.
The stretch part of my stickman rig for instance is more or less just a rig on top of the original rig, which drives the rig as a whole.
Using bone layers is easy, they work just like the normal layers in 3D and you can move bones to and from them in multiple ways, the easiest being pressing “M” and choose what layer(s) the bone should be on.

EDIT:
One reason one might think off to be the cause for the switch no longer working is when you create a new action for instance and delete all the keys… There are a few keys in there that are used by the sliders to control the value of the constraints.
While that may be why some people find out the switches don’t work anymore, because they started a new action and want to remove all the old keys in it, that is NOT the only reason. As I said, I’ve doublechecked, and I know which keys I shouldn’t throw away. Even without touching the actions or keys or WITHOUT EVEN setting new keys (like simply posing for a beauty render) I’ve found that sometimes the switches no longer works, even when everything is set to work, switches, ipo’s, actions etc…
It’s really driving me nuts, if I weren’t already for that matter.

Ah, well that would be it then. I was creating a new action and I deleted all the keys. :wink:

Thanks for the fix!

I never thought that stick men could ever turn to 3D.

Can somoen model the main 2D character in this thing: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/420606 ?

Thanks FreakyDude. Yup, I have done e bsod tutorial. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Onouy6j9j5w
(carefull it’s loud) I am now already learning more by using stickman and devilman, I’m going to make an animation which I will post soon.

I made an animation with these characters and they were a lot of fun to use. Can I start a new thread with this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyvxMxwlCMk

Phlopper,
you could start a new animation craze with that!
great fun animation, well done!

FreakyDude,
congrats, these rigs are great fun & most useful.
Big Thanks

Hey. Just downloaded these two rigs and I’m encountering a puzzling problem/issue.

With a blank .blend file, I Shift-F1 > Link > etc… to either Stickman or Devilman’s rig groups.

Upon return to the blender workspace, nothing shows, so I follow the instructions and Add a new Rig group.

The rig sits happily in the viewport but naturally I can’t pose it yet, so I follow the tips for creating a proxy. CTRL + ALT + P and I choose to make a proxy for the rig.

At this stage all looks and works really well. I can enter pose mode for the rig, keyframe controls and work with it happily. Except for one thing: The FK/IK sliders remain unselectable.

I’ve been scratching my head for ages and can’t get it to work by means of LINKING. If I Append and make a local copy, everything works.

Any ideas?

Sorry, no ideas, I’ve been fiddling with it, but haven’t really dug into it, I suppose the answer will be somewhere in the mancandy FAQ, I haven’t gotten it to work if you link it, unfortunately.

Hi All,

I just downloaded stickman and love playing with the rig, but I have never used the Action Editor or animated a character.
Would anyone offer up a workflow tutorial or a BLEND file I could pick apart?

Wow, I was just ready to start messing around with animating stuff, and I saw this. I downloaded it, and it’s EXACTLY what I would want to mess with. So smooth, and easy to work with. Thanks.:cool:

glad you guys like it.
@PolygoneUK: I found a way to have the sliders working when linking, but I’ll have to update the rig for that, and I’m kinda busy right now. My first new rig I’m working on will have the ability to link and have the sliders working. I’ll update all my current rigs somewhere in the future for this.

@Atom: search for the BSOD introduction to character animation, and skip to the wave and walkcycle animation parts. If you know how to pose the rig, then you can follow along with that, and it should get you started.

@Yippee: Glad you like it :slight_smile:

Simple design with awesome rigs. If I come up with a vid worth posting, I’ll be sure to share. Thanks for the great .blends.

The links are broken

true, it’s because they are no longer at version 1. I have a new site, and new versions. The other thread is here, and my new site is here.
Removed the old links from first post.

thank you very much FreakkyDude

I’m a noob, but how do you donwload this?