noisy images in cycles

If you read my post carefully, you can see that the relevant part regarding this scene is:

“If you want to render ANIMATIONS with only ONE COMPUTER
-Rendering simple stuff fast: Blender Internal”

I’d have to start all over again if i wanted to do this in BI. Like i said there’s a lot more to this scene than what you’re seeing here. I’d upload the blend but for some reason it isn’t letting me add it.

i’d add the blend file but it isn’t letting me. Also, i’d have to start over from scratch if i wanted to do it in BI.

You don’t need to start all over again. just change the lights and materials… I don’t even see any complex material in your scene. I mean, a couple of hours and you could render everything in less than a day.

And no excuses for not posting a blend. if not here, then pasteall.org, dropbox, googledrive, etc.

Also, I’d have to start over from scratch if i wanted to do it in BI.

When facing thirteen days of constant rendering how much trouble would changing to Blender Internal be. Excuse me I just looked at your join date and will assume you have never been in BI. So as someone noted while BI might be better suited to the subject matter here less just concentrate on Cycles.

As a want to be animator on not the most well suited machine for that I find five to ten minutes per frame acceptable. But, god knows I use every trick in the book to keep that below six minutes per frame. And, the best trick is one already mentioned here. Without ‘Baking’ my current project would be pretty close to yours in render times. Well closer to ten to sixteen minutes per frame.

Of course Baking means biting the bullet many times as any object with a glossy component can’t be Baked. An example would be baseboard and trim in a archviz walk through. So my trim is not glossy and I hate it! And, at times my glass is not reflective and I also hate that but choices have to be made is my point. Even a little noise with a moving camera has to be accepted at times. When your camera stops in a particular scene jack the samples up then since you are basically doing a still to be copy and pasted in the VSE for maybe a hundred frames.

You might be surprised at what can be done on a crappy machine even using Cycles. And, granted you have to compromise. If I see a Transparent Node coming up I need to take stock of what look I actually have to have here. Over a short period you will learn which Nodes are render time killers. Best of luck in your endeavor here. I’m looking forward to seeing it.

Here’s what I would do in your situation:
As long as you use simple lighting and no simulations(fire, smoke, fluid) and no actual hair, Blender Internal or Viewport Rendering will render everything waaaaaaaaaay faster than Cycles without any noise. And all those effects and hair can be made with alpha textures on planes, just watch how game developers do it. This way you spend your time actually creating stuff instead of wating a day for a single frame to render.

As long as you use simple lighting and no simulations(fire, smoke, fluid) and no actual hair,
the completed version of this very scene has a smoke simulation in it.

Try the denoise Branch maybe that can help to clean the 4 min render of you.

Or try the PBR branch.

search for them at blenderartist.

and bakeing is helluvamesh hahaha:D

And no excuses for not posting a blend. if not here, then pasteall.org, dropbox, googledrive, etc.

hopefully this works. Please ignore the shitty stick figure when you get there, but other than that feel free to laugh. I’m as good at character modelling as i am at regular modelling

let me know if this didn’t work.

You know what, I’ll focus on all the rendering when I get a better machine. I’ve known for a while that my machine is too shitty to do any CG stuff. It’s not like i’m expecting to finish this project by next week or anything, but i’d rather not spend damn near two weeks rendering a 40 second sequence on a piece of shit computer.

I mean hell, i can barely run CS:GO on it (seriously). there’s still a ton more actual animation and modelling i need to do. I’ve always thought that rendering was the last part of the whole process, anyway. (you know, besides video editing, audio, etc). I’m saving up for a new computer anyway, so when that comes around, i’ll worry more about all the rendering.

You might be surprised at what can be done on a crappy machine even using Cycles.

yeah but i’m trying to take this whole 3D stuff seriously. I can’t really do that being plagued by problems that aren’t outside of my control. I really just need to stop being a broke boy.

I thought i look at it and see how fast it render on my maschine,
but that must be a hell of a mesh, 182mb why is the file size so big.

probably because i went overboard with the duplicate houses. lol. That map is gonna be used later when the character drives down the street so i thought all those dupes were necessary.

I thought it’d be adding more detail but now that i think about it the majority of those houses probably won’t even be in the shot so i think i messed up there.

Trial and error, am i right?

Yes sir your right.blender is awesome luv u bad words arent good.

Wouaw 182 mb… Should be max 1mb ^^

When you dupplicate your houses, you can make instances (ALT D).
Or better you can populate your scene with particules (using masks etc)

After a close look at your scene… well:

-The house mesh is a mess. Duplicated vertices and faces all over, too much unnecessary faces and edgeloops and flipped normals.
-The houses, as pointed by rattle-snake, should be references of a single house and not copies.
-The same goes to the fences.
-The ground objects also have unnecessary complexity. unless you’re going to use displacents, you could simplify those also

Tip: Having some objects selected, you can easily transfer Object data (turning copies into references) from the active object to the others by pressing Ctrl+L and choose ‘Object Data’.

The illumination of your scene is not the best scenario for Cycles also:
-too much mesh lights and too far apart… The solution would be a mixing of baked illumination, lamps instead of meshes, render layers, and composing.
-An environment light could also reduce the amount of noise.
-smoke will suffer a lot with this kind of scene.

Tip: Cycles is not so good at dealing with too many small lights, specially mesh lights. Each point being rendered will throw a ray at a random light. With mesh lights (like the ones from your houses), the probability of that ray hitting a part of the light mesh that will contribute to the illumination of the original point, will be almost none. So for every sample that Cycles will compute, only a very small fraction will be important for your render, while all the others will insignificant.
That is a lot of processing for nothing!! (I must emphasize ‘A LOT!!’)

You don’t need so many bounces in your render, you can set the max to 1 or 2.

Tips for future projects:
-Always plan your animations in advance. Use sketches, storyboards and notes as much as possible, before you even start modeling.

-Never despair, when working with 3D!! Make a pause, a walk, get some Sun… We all know that kind of frustration. 3D animation is complex and has too many factors that don’t seem quite obvious at a first glance. That’s why planning, testing, reading, and asking should be one of your first steps.

-Avoid shots where the camera travels great distances in your scene. Breaking these shots down, will help you keep each scene organized and simple.
Blender has a powerful linking system, and storing objects in separate files, and using them in each scene only when needed, will help you debug potential problems with illumination, materials, etc. Also, fixing one object, will be reflected in all scenes that use that object.

-Always keep your scene clean and organized. Giving good names to objects and materials, grouping and parenting, good use of duplicates, etc.
It may be a bit tedious to give a meaningful name, every time you create a new object… But this time will be so well spent when your scene becomes more complex.

:wink:

I optimized your scene for speed: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B32pmhc-jTZFZjlNUExUczNfZkk
(with Blender Render not Cycles)
Tell me if you can’t resist the speed.

dude, i frickin love you.

i’m obviously not going to use this for the final render, seeing as how you did this, but i will use this as reference. What i’ve learned from this is .

• Don’t use cycles, an, advanced rendering system, for a project with an expected simple result.
  • Don’t immediately knock BI when i’ve never used it and not aware of it’s power.
  • Be creative and listen to the advice people give you.

Like I said, i’m gonna go ahead and transfer the project to BI. I’m not gonna downright use this work that you did because that wouldn’t be fair to you.

Thanks a trillion dude, seriously.

It’s rendering right now, and it’s rendering really fast. Like i said, thanks.

Helluvamesh just showed me that this type of project wasn’t what cycles was built for. I’ll return back to cycles when i get more insight into the whole 3d process, but for this project i’m going with BI.

I’ll use those tips you gave me too.

The house mesh is a mess. Duplicated vertices and faces all over, too much unnecessary faces and edgeloops and flipped normals.

I truthfully don’t know how that happened, i was wondering why those little squares had popped up all over the mesh. I thought it didn’t matter too much though. I wonder if that was a part of the problem.