Nvidia AMD professional GPUs

Agreed but then I won’t be rendering 24/7 for years. Still i think this is solved when proper cooling is applied to geforce cards.
Like 4ex: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055RHDIU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=motherboar0fb-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0055RHDIU

this dude ran some benchmarks and got some very nice temperatures on the GPU:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dVSuQMUXpo&feature=relmfu

Also: Intel Core i7 Extreme Edition i7-3960X vs Intel Core i7-3930K vs i7-2600k what do you think ?

The i7-3960X is overpriced just because there is a X at the end. The i7-3930k is a beast and ~50% faster than a 2006 but it’s almost twice as expensive.

You wrote a 580 GTX with 3GB Ram costs 512€? In Germany it’s just 380€.
If you build 1 or 2 cards in your system you don’t need such an expensive singe slot card. Just get a big case and a mainboard with enough space (for example this one MSI X79A-GD45)

I love it when they do that, then you get a new card, hehe… ;D

In Sweden we have 2 years warranty by law and very powerful consumer protection laws & agencys. Stuff breaking is imo rarely an issue, they mostly just swat it out directly in the shop… Mostly.

I also think that’s a good reason not to buy the OC versions a.s.o. as they are more likely to burn themselves out. And in regard to warranties & such I’d also recommend buying hardware locally. Shopping on the net is awesome when it comes to prices, but when/if you have crap falling apart it’s very nice to have a place to go, talk to people eye to eye…

depends on the company and warranty. if you get an evga brand card with a part number ending -A_ its a lifetime warranty for nvidia carrds. there are also ati brands with lifetime warranty’s.

how about a earlier uncrippled nvidia geforce card like a 280, I wonder is it possible to set up a 280 with newer 5x0 for blender, I’ve read somewhere on the forum that it’s quite doable I just dont know how, and how this combination’s gonna to perform with other applications/games.

we really arent sure how the 600 series geforce cards are going to look like
with driver optimizations and things…
but… there are rumors that single GPU 4GB versions are coming out…
sometime this month, or next month.

so… might want to wait see? 4GB would be plenty for most things i would imagine.

NVIDIA has released this month their flagship graphics card – GeForce GTX 680, based on GK104 core with 2GB memory. There is also a new variant with 4GB memory coming in April.

Wasn’t this only a windows 7 issue. I mean win8 and never linux kernels would address this no ? I can’t remember where but there were some benchmarks done on linux with the bulldozer and it seems it’s doing much better than on win7.

Alright, I looked at the numbers. Indeed the Bulldozer is equally fast in Cinebench, compared to the Phenom x6. Unless you can get the x6 cheaper, no point in preferring it, then.

NVIDIA claims that all the time, they make no secret of it. In fact, it’s pretty much their primary argument, aside from RAM and DP. Put it into perspective: You’d have to burn through more than 6 GTX580s to pay for the equivalent Quadro/Tesla. However also nowhere in the warranty does it say “Don’t use 24/7”. I’m pretty sure you would get it exchanged without a hitch.

Well the GK110 are due to come out only in october. That’s a long time but then again it’ll be just perfect for when the mango finishes :smiley:
4GB on a card is good but there’s no guarantees it’ll be faster in cycles than the current GTX580. Also from 3GBto4GB for 200$ more I don’t think so !
For now my attention is set to the 3930k CPU - in Mike Pan’s BMW benchmark I can see it doing the best with 2 mins on linux. That’s 4 times slower than a GTX 500 series but hey no memory limitations.
I still have to decide if I’ll go with a GTX580 in the system or not. Maybe I’ll just throw a AMD HD5870 in there (just for OpenGl ) as this is the top card in the MacPro currently and it seems it has the best openGl bang for buck inside Blender.

What do you think about this card ?

And how would they prove it… And even if I’d probably get away with it in Sweden, you wouldn’t really go into the store and say that the card burned out after a 72 hour render, hehe, that’s not recommended… :wink:

MSI does really good hardware. According to my former distributor, EVGA and MSI is the manufacturers with the least RMA’s for the moment. Asus, who used to do really great MB’s & graphic cards, they are leading in RMA’s… But to be clear, stuff like this goes in cycles, in 6 months Asus might have the least RMA’s again…

So the 7970 GPD, card design, add a lot of RAM & built by MSI - that’s not a bad combo at all. But imo the biggest issue is that it’s not a Nvidia card. Say what you will, looking at Physx and CUDA, for use in graphics you’re better off with a Nvidia card. It’s not about what’s technically ‘best’, it’s about what’s supported. :stuck_out_tongue:

From the Chart the link i posted…

GeForce GTX 680 4GB$550
GeForce GTX 680 2GB$500
only $50 more for extra 2GB

however this one… will probably be more expensive…

2304 CUDA Cores. :smiley:

That’s just sweet ! Looks like I’m not gonna be bothering this thread with anymore questions until october ! :smiley: thx Guys !