Paranthropus Robustus

you pick all the verteces around the eye and then Ctrl R then a new line should appear then you have to move your mouse around till you get the loop you want and then enter or LMB i think to set it in place the new loop
you could also use the proprotional or % method see the Wiki for this tool

this should work fine

Salutations

I think the eye socket needs to be more defined. and the brow. You probaly need to make a loop cut between the eye socket and the brow ridge, and then pull the eyes and nose back a bit. Also, when you’re working on your lids, it can help to add a sphere for the eye, and use the retotpo tool to form the lid around the sphere.

I need help modeling teeth and tongue. I found some tutorials, but they are not very informative.

Meanwhile, here’s an update:

How should I go about modeling the body as well? Should I box model separately and then join, or continue extrusion from the neck?

did you check on blender nation tutorials
i think they have many tut on modelling body parts - video also
and check the other threads n 2.46 for hair - it’s a good pdf tut on how to use the advanced features of hair with 2.46 release RC1
http://www.falgor.net/tutorials/jahka_hair/hair_tutorial.pdf
Salutations

Thanks, Ricky! That’s a neat little tutorial on hair particles, although I’m leaving the hair for the very end as part of “Completing the Model with Materials, Textures, and Particles.”

I’ve decided to simply extrude from the neck to create the body. I still need help on the teeth and tongue though! Here is a reference picture on the teeth and jaw. It’s really the only decent reference picture I can find:

http://cache.eb.com/eb/image?id=79495&rendTypeId=4

As you can see, Robustus’ teeth is, in a way, similar to the teeth of the modern human today. Anatomical exceptions lie on the fact that Robustus were heavy plant eaters. They have relatively huge teeth (particularly molars) which help grind down vegetation.

Appreciating the help, everyone! I’m still hanging in there with this project. :slight_smile: Hope it’ll be as successful as a I envisioned.

if you have not done a cranium you may need to do a small part of it to put your teeth in it
for the bottom and up jaw - unless you hand them up in the air
try doing a search in this forum you might find something on tooth
its coming better - keep up the good work

Salutations

It kind of feels that I’m rushing the body a bit, so I am just posting a mid-way progress picture showing extrusion modeling from the neck. The arms, chest, and stomach are vaguely modeled.

Am I on the right track in terms of modeling the body? Should I sculpt him for more definition when the model is complete?

Alright. I am working towards the hands, feet, and the teeth and jaw.

Here’s another progress picture:

Keep the suggestions/critiques coming! I really need it, everyone.

With much appreciation,
~ Darren

He needs more space between head and shoulders otherwise proportions are off. And his belly lacks roundness to sides and as well to the crotch. Are they had really such popeye forearms? Forehead to cranial section ratio seems to be right for that period of evolving the form of the human head.

He needs more space between head and shoulders otherwise proportions are off.

Are you referring to the horizontal distance from the base of the neck to the shoulders OR the vertical distance between the shoulders and the jaw?

Are they had really such popeye forearms?

If you are referring to ol’ muscular Popeye, then yes. They have a rather big and robust build.

But, here’s a really beginners’ question: Do the biceps face outwards towards the front view or upwards? You see, when the arms are laid out in flat and the back of the hand faces upward, the elbow actually bends towards the front view and not upwards.

Thanks for the continuous help, everyone. I’m not sure if I posted this on the wrong forum because it seems more like a Work in Progress, now. Although, of course, I am seeking help in the modeling process…

I meant horizontal sorry for being a little not so precisely.
Yes rest position or standard T stand is facing biceps to front and hand back upwards but me and a friend of mine who stud for me as model (my project - the 3D model not she:evilgrin::p) have tends that biceps faces a bit upwards.

I’m not sure if I’m fixing the horizontal distance for the shoulders and neck base correctly, lexi. I adjusted it a bit. Take a look below:

I also modeled his hands. I find the hands are really easy to do! I simply subdivide a cube two times. I move it one blender unit down to make the hand thinner. Once I extrude the fingers. I remove all the edges at the centre. Then, I move the two halves of the hand closer together and remove the doubles. Voila!

Ugh. Finally modeled the feet, but I am not impressed with the amount of vertices/edge loops used… I think it will pose problems for the texturing and rigging.

Here is a near-finished model (without careful scrutinizing of proportions, other anatomical features such as teeth and jaw, etc…):

I will finish the teeth and jaw tonight, but I would appreciate someone in directing how I would go about texturing this beast. I will be using particles, but I won’t be using the new 2.46 particles system. As well, I may implement the ludwig rig (still unsure).

I need more constructive criticism, I feel. May a moderator please move this to the “Focused Critique” section? Thanks in advance!

Dont know if the particles covers the a little blocky shape of mostly upper legs. But his belly needs definitly more roundness the upper yet horizontal line has to bee rounded upwards and the diagonal lines on the corners of the yet nearly square belly needs to be rid. Cause he gets some hairyness at all more details on elbow aren’t needed.

Here’s an internal blender test render with the teeth and jaw modeled (hard to see, I know):

I really need your help now, Blender Community! What is the right approach to texture this? The project is due next Thursday so I have a week and a few days left to work on it.
I’m still determined, however. How much control do I have over Blender’s particle system?
I don’t need the particles animated. They would simply move and conform to the rig. But, I want it to look decent and combed as close to the organism.

By the way, great big thanks, so far, goes out to those who have helped me these past two weeks. It’s always greatly appreciated! I just have poor patience in getting this badboy textured up! :wink:

hair thing - i would recommend to got with the new 2.46 it’s a lot more easier to use and has more flexibility trhen ever - it’s the best

for texturing have you decided how to do it

UV with map files or you do it manualy piece by piece?
for texture prodcedurals you got he 3D repository which has lots of texture
including some ordinary skin and some alien too!

Salutations

Bump map for the facial structures/wrinkles seems to be in need. Dont know whats with colour of nails and teeth as there wasn’t teeth brush but also no wine and tea. For eye colour i think a brown iris would be best fitting.

for the eye you can make one with tut on blender natins
last week there was 2 tut on how to do it

see pic - jyst select the color of the iris and it’s easy to do

Salutations

I have decided to texture by different parts. Here are some important questions I need answers to:

1. Let’s say I want to assign materials and texture the lips: Do I select all the faces which require the material and texture, and separate it from the mesh using ‘P’, then use “New Material”?

2. When I separate, let’s say the chin or neck this time, and I use particles to give these parts some hair, would they disappear if I joined it back to the original mesh?

I’m afraid that I won’t be performing a UV texture… It’s simply too difficult with such a complicated mesh (I know this will take away realism…).

Here’s an upcoming question on the rigging scheme:

1. If I plan on using Ludwig’s Rig, do I simply append the armature and align the armature with Robustus’ different parts?

Ok, this is the final progress picture with regards to the modeling process. I’ve added fingernails and toenails and a few other minor details. I will try my best not to make any more changes to this model, as I must move on to materials and texturing: