Photorealistic Cottage in the Woods - Lighting & Rendering

Well, I redid many of the trees, but they are still very much a WIP. I found that I really need to balance the colors way better (the right is much darker than the left and that is not right.)

I do think the lighting is better, but it lost that nice natural vignette. Perhaps I can find a middle ground.

Also I totally screwed up the log, and am redoing it, so please ignore that, and the grass poking through it. On the upside, I think I found a way to fix the fireflies, so I will try that.

I still have a long way to go, but I think it looks promising. Do you think the gallery is too much to shoot for?
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/4916/photorealisticcabininth.jpg

its looking really nice…the cabin has improved, did you ad a bump map? I really like the nature parts of the scene :smiley: If you want to aim for the gallery then i say go for it…nothing to lose :smiley:

This is a great looking nature scene! It looks realistic, but I think the lighting could have a bit more brightness. It looks a little bit dark, or it may be just my computer :confused:.

The trees look really good too. Although the tall tree in the background just behind the cabin roof looks a little bit unrealistic, but overall the image looks great!

nice scene. the log is too simple imo. it could use some bits of bark and broken branches and twigs coming off of it. especially since it is in the immediate foreground. a little birdy couldn’t hurt either to add some focus and an animal element.
(edit) also the specularity of the water over on the left looks weird, I think because of the angle it is at.

its looking really nice…the cabin has improved, did you ad a bump map?
Nope, I just changed the lighting a bit, but it does make it look better.

but I think the lighting could have a bit more brightness. It looks a little bit dark, or it may be just my computer
It definitely looks too dark, but the weird thing is that it is fine in blender, but as soon as I export it it makes it darker. Hmm, I guess I’ll just compensate.

Although the tall tree in the background just behind the cabin roof looks a little bit unrealistic
Yea it has that stupid PNG lining around it. Later on I will add it post pro to get rid of that kind of stuff.

the log is too simple imo. it could use some bits of bark and broken branches and twigs coming off of it. especially since it is in the immediate foreground.

I’m on it! It is really hard to get it to look good though.

a little birdy couldn’t hurt either to add some focus and an animal element.

Fantastic idea, I hadn’t thought of that at all!

also the specularity of the water over on the left looks weird, I think because of the angle it is at.

Actually I think it is a massive group of fireflies because I have glossy rocks directly intersecting glossy water

Have you tried to decrease the light size of the sun, if using it? Now is ok if you are doing a cloudy day, but if is sunny the shadows have to be sharper imo.
Add also some grass with white, coloured flowers, so there will be more colors and maybe the terrain can be slightly less ‘plane’. For distribution of the grass (using hair/particles right?) you can use a weight map, paint where you want it to grow (density, but also lenght,etc) and in particle panel/vertex group/density select your weight map and you will not have grass inside the house and probably improved rendering speed :slight_smile:

this looks really good nice job… so far xD

Thanks guys, it is coming together slowly but surely.

Have you tried to decrease the light size of the sun, if using it? Now is ok if you are doing a cloudy day, but if is sunny the shadows have to be sharper imo.
I did a little, but I probably should more. Great catch!

Add also some grass with white, coloured flowers
Great idea! I have some in this one, but I think there should be more.

For distribution of the grass (using hair/particles right?) you can use a weight map, paint where you want it to grow (density, but also lenght,etc) and in particle panel/vertex group/density select your weight map and you will not have grass inside the house and probably improved rendering speed
I actually do have this, but if you can’t tell, that must mean I did a decent job :slight_smile: Oh, wait I did forget to do it inside the cabin! Good call

I really am not sure what is causing those terrible fireflies over to the left, is it really the angle? Hmm, I’ll have to look into it.

Also please ignore the water, I accidentally set the solidify modifier to not render, so that is why it looks all bad.

Oh, also I think I am going to start working on the cabin soon. Any suggestions on what it should look like?

Heya Jonathan,

First off, let me say that your nature creating skills are amazing, the grass and the trees all look so good. I envy you my friend, please consider doing a tutorial or breakdown on your work here, I’m sure many would appreciate that.

As for the cabin, since everything surrounding it is pristine and beautiful, why not make it dilapidated and run down. Have things like holes in the roof and rot in the logs. Just my opinion though, I’m sure whatever you decide to do with it will look great.

Keep up the awesome work!

This is the #1 thing I think you need to improve on your scene: the corner of the cabin. The boards just wrap around like one. In real life, they would end, then there would be a gap in the corner, then they would pick up again, like so:

I started to work on the cabin. Nothing to speak of yet, but I just thought I’d share. Basically I need to do a bunch more modelling, then do the texturing, and than finally the fun work of making is all broken and such. I am not really looking for a critique yet, but if you have any secrets/tips that you want to share, that would be great.

i think its a really nice start :smiley: i look forward to see you smash it to bits…

wait…this is in Cycles? how are you doing the grass?!

wait…this is in Cycles? how are you doing the grass?!

Yep, it is cycles and I am using regular hair particles. Except instead of rendering as ‘strand’ I am rendering as ‘group’

Also here is some work on the chimney. I might want to make the stones a little bigger, but I will fill those cracks with moss and weeds.

Nice updates. Cabin looks cool so far. I also think it’d be really cool if you added a bird. (or a frog in the water?).

I think the bark on the log should be more patchy, like so:

Great ideas! I really hope to add a bird or two sitting on the log, I think that would make it way more realistic. Also I will probably make the trunk more patchy as well.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Not bad Jonathan not bad:) My only real critique is to get rid of those darn png trees in the backgound:) They are killing it for me:( Try using actual 3D trees but just simplfy the hell out of them…at that distance it wont matter if the leaves are a bit larger and the trunk could be just the base and no branches.

P.S. - I’m sad to see the Blending Nature WIP thead has all but disapeared. I’ve got a side business project going on and blending constantly but just can find the time to get on here much anymore. I’d like to get in on the comp but I guess we’ll see:) Best of luck it looks like your on the right track:)

Happy Blending:)

Actually there is usually a corner cap that covers the siding on both sides. Basically from top view the corner cap would look like an “L” shape 2-1/2" x 2-1/2" and about 3/4" thick if it is some type of wood:)