Planetary Gear

@Kramon
I use VideoMach ($20 software) to convert the bitmaps into a gif, and then pass the result to GIF Optimizer (leapic.com, free software) to compress it a bit more. It looks smooth mainly because it’s huge, ~8Mb. Many gifs look noisy because the optimization software reduced their color palette significantly, and they compensate by over-dithering. If you don’t have many frames, you can get away with a “full” palette (256 colors), but remember that this won’t work if the images have a wide color range, 256 colors isn’t much.

@MCHammond
I’m not getting any different results from changing the drivers settings yet, but I’ll keep experimenting.

I understand that ngons are generally best avoided, but there are situations where converting everything into quads reduces some modeling options. The first things that come to mind are “inset” and “extrude” – you can either have one ngon “region” which you can manipulate, or you can split it into quads and rely on vertex groups. The former option is just simpler.
You’re right about the example you gave, though – there’s no reason for there to be ngons in that particular mesh.

Do you have a behance portfolio? If not you should make one, there are a lot of Blender artists there.

@derGoldstein
Never heard of behance, will give it a look. I just post a lot on vimeo and have a website at MCHammond.com although my website is not updated as much as it should be. I used to upload a lot of stuff to Youtube too but I could not deal with all the nonsense comments and general abuse that site seems to attract.

Behance is shit now acctualy.

@Kramon
I haven’t had any negative experiences on Behance, but if you don’t like it there, join Dribbble. Your Behance portfolio will get you in pretty quickly. I really wish more Blender artists would join Dribbble, there are WAY too many C4D people there :slight_smile:

I hope I’m not posting too much, I’m really not trying to spam the thread, but many people E-mailed asking about the shader setup. Here it is:

The odd cyan reflection that appears to be restricted to the outline of the shapes is due to the Layer Weight node. Basically it favors one shader over another depending on how much a surface faces the camera. Too much of this effect looks weird and cartoonish (which may be what you want), but a subtle amount of it can be very interesting.