Polygon hair lab

i have made this model an modeling those polygon hair is really a pain

I’m a developer, but sadly not for blender. Most likely you will not find anyone to do this for you unless there happens to be someone around who is personally interested in this sort of thing. In principle this would not be very difficult to do, but it will take some time to get it right. If this is really important to you in the long term, I would suggest you try to do it yourself. Learning to code is surprisingly easy, if you can get past the (possible) initial frustration. Hardest part is figuring out what are the things you need to go and learn for a particular task.

If you are interested (or anyone else of course), I can give some details on the general principles, that this tool would require. It is not anywhere near as complex as the papers linked in this thread might suggest, and even the bsurface stuff is completely unnecessary. I might give it a try myself at later time, but do not expect that to happen any time soon(or ever).

i’m trying to learn coding but i don’t have the time to do it, and if we make a donation system to accumulate a sum of money for this project i know people that will be willing to donate.

Yeh, time is usually the biggest issue. That’s why the ‘somebody should do this’-features never really get anywhere. If you can get few dozen people to donate a decent amount, and gather maybe few thousand, it might work, but in that case you need to be very clear how the tool must work, what features it must include and what time frame it must be completed in. Otherwise you’re just doomed for disappointment.

There have been some bounty pooling sites for FOSS projects cropping up during the past few years, but I haven’t paid much attention how well developed they are. General purpose funding sites exist of course, such as Indiegogo or Ulule. Kickstarter is probably out since they require a working prototype. On those sites the project needs to be very well defined,so it’s bit of a pain, but it will be practically impossible for you to coordinate donations from large number of people by yourself.

I’ll do it for 3000€,but I won’t give any hard guarantees for completion time frame or long term maintenance. Good luck to you any way.

Out of curiosity (and commercial interest, sure), what kind of volume are you talking about here? Lets say I take the time to set up indiegogo project with samples, promo videos and everything. Do you recon I’ll get tens, hundreds or thousands of dollars? Mostly I’m asking because I have practically no previous contact with the blender community and have no idea how well received funding drives are around here, or how motivated people are to donate. I did a few searches and appears that game projects are dime a dozen, but tool projects are almost non existent. I do actually want to make this, but it’s not currently possible without proper backing.

On my own spare time I will be developing a system for procedural and semi-procedural polygon modeling. It will be much more general purpose tool set, but it’s definitely possible to make polygon hair with it. My main interest is remeshing and modeling complex cloth items as well as rigging cumbersome objects like webbed wings and tentacles. This is likely to take ages, though.

Hmm how about this:

Your ideas sound similar to zbrush curve insert is it what i think i like it, you can find all info about this technique here…

this technique you propose have a lot of possible application and technique…:yes:

That will definitely be possible, but with cleaner geometry and the ability to change it afterwards. That’s really a special case when we are talking about hair, though, and has more to do with rest of the polydrive kit. Zbrush has all these neat things, but it has practically no object management tools and no regard to geometric efficiency, mapping or riggability, which makes them practically useless to me.