Raptor

A quick timelapse of some more progress. :slight_smile:

I donā€™t plan on doing the whole body this way because it would take forever. Some parts that wonā€™t be seen as much/clearly might be done with alphas. Still not sure if Iā€™m going this route for the final sculpt or just painting a high resolution bump map for the smallest details like scales - bump map I think would be a better choice so Iā€™ll most likely try that later tonight.

Any feedback would be helpful :slight_smile:

I took some inspiration from Blue (Jurassic World) and added the rounded spikes on the neck. It was a bit of a rush as itā€™s getting late here but I wanted to see what it would look like if it did have them. Though this method of adding in all the little scales is very time consuming, I think the results are pretty good. In the final aculpt, the neck will have a lot more wrinkles/folds to start off with so it doesnā€™t look as ā€œflatā€. I went a bit overboard with the scales near the head.
stc=1

some practice scales on the head. I think it turned out a bit too intense

stc=1

Almost done the practice head. My reference was Blue from JW. Thereā€™s some parts I donā€™t like and other parts I do like. Some scales are too deep/intense, but I think it was decent practice. Hopefully the final sculpt will be more consistent.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]442818[/ATTACH]

That sculpt looks fantastic. Dang it, why canā€™t I sculpt?

As for the animations, the run cycle looks pretty good but the walk cycle needs some work. The raptor shouldnā€™t look that heavy (like, not that much head and torso movement when it takes a step). Think about chickens, and the way their heads stay still when they move. Since raptors are essentially ā€œ6-foot turkeysā€ (JP 1 reference), they should be similar. Keep the body relatively still apart from the legs in the walk cycle.

Hey Owldude, thanks for your feedback :slight_smile:

When it comes to making the new walk cycle, Iā€™ll look at some videos of how turkeys walk which should make it more believable. I tried to make the torso look like it had some weight to it - perhaps I added a bit too much movement that would more likely be present on a bigger dinosaur walk cycle like a Tyrannosaur.

I think Iā€™ll use the current head sculpt above as a reference for the final sculpt and keep the scale ā€œintensityā€ lower so it doesnā€™t look overdone and stays more consistent

This is really good. The walk cycle is about perfect but I think you need a little more bounce in the run cycle and jump, since youā€™re dealing with a multi-ton megabeast, and not just a little 2 lb. lizard. Donā€™t skimp on animation detail! It should equal the amount of physical detail. Little subtleties like a slight bend at the base of the tail when his weight comes down will add a lot to the effect of weightiness (maybe some IK in the tail and spine will help?). Also the bones and pads of his feet should compress slightly when he comes down on them heavy.

The wrinkles in the skin is looking very good! For your first texturing attempt, it came out quite well!

Just take your time and keep improving.

Thanks for the suggestions. Right now the tail rig is FK, but can still be easy/fast to animate if I select all the tail bones, set pivot point to individual origins and rotate:

The b-bones in the tail also have 2 segments each
and the spine is a basic IK setup:

this looks good. As for the run cycle you may note that because of the massive weight of the raptor on its 2 small legs for it to run it would probably have thrown most of its weight forward and kicked of the ground quite hard. Almost like its jumping forward with one leg and trying to keep up with the other. This would not only make the raptor seem heavier but also more aggressive. Keep up the good work it looks fantastic :slight_smile:

Thanks :slight_smile: and yes, I think the run cycle needs more bounce to it too. Will keep that in mind when making the new run cycle.

No update today. I need to decide how I will go about adding the same level/quality of detail over the rest of the body to keep things looking consistent. Anatomy isnā€™t my strong suit so Iā€™ll need to find some good references for the muscles before I start sculpting them

This is what Iā€™m thinking (though Iā€™m open to suggestions)

• sculpt all muscles, folds, forms and large wrinkles first
  • sculpt the large scales and details (mostly the head scales and the plate-like scales on the feet and hands)
  • painting the rest of the very small details (fine scratches/wrinkles, very small scales, etc.) with a bump map

I would say much more up and down and side to side movement in the pelvis. Not enough feeling of weight or gravity yet. Also a lot more flexibility in the spine. There would be a lot more recoil and bounce from all that unsupported weight at the front. Best to look at large flightless birds like cassowaryā€™s for a guide. Theropodā€™s would most likely have used the strong muscles in their tails to power and swing the hipā€™s and thighs during walking and running and this should always be in mind when animating them.

What about some feathers too ? Sorry just being cheeky.

Anyway keep up with the good work.

This version of the raptor is mostly based off the ones from the Jurassic Park series. After itā€™s done I plan to make a feathered version. :slight_smile:

Your raptor is SO AWESOME!!! Itā€™s exciting to watch your progress. I canā€™t wait to see the finished project.

Your sculpting detail is absolutely incredible. Have you considered baking a normal map from the sculpted mesh, to be applied to a low-poly version?

Thanks! After sculpting and texturing is all done, I also plan to make a game-ready, low-poly version with a normal map as well in case I decide to sell it. :slight_smile:

today I sculpted some forms and muscles:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]443077[/ATTACH]
not sure if the muscles sculpted so far are all in the right place as I donā€™t know much about dinosaur anatomy but any feedback or suggestions are welcome (and help a lot!) :stuck_out_tongue:

A turntable of current sculpting progress:

This isnā€™t really much of an update as there is not much to show progress-wise, but I figured that I would show this here since I havenā€™t posted lately.

I made a test bump map consisting of random scale detail that covers most parts of the body to help visualize what it might look like with added bump map detail. This bump map was very rushed using a couple alpha textures and has a lot of problems/seams - so this will not be the final bump map. Itā€™s also only 2k, so it would not hold up too well in high-res renders :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyways, Iā€™ve rendered a turntable below, enjoy:

Thanks for posting this video, itā€™s very interesting to see the technique in action! :slight_smile:

In the final animation, my current plan is to have 3 or so raptors escape from containment and hunt down and battle my T-rex, so I started to work on the Raptor Pen, which they will escape from. Itā€™s an early WIP but I thought Iā€™d share it here as itā€™s related to the project. :slight_smile:

Also, I decided to make this Raptor Pen a bit larger than the one in the movie but the general design is mostly the same. Some parts are placeholders.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]444951[/ATTACH]
Comments and suggestions are welcome :slight_smile:

More progress on the Raptor Pen. Still not finished - I might redo all the fences by hand because right now theyā€™re just planes with a wireframe modifier (which looks fine until you get close enough). I also need to replace the bottom part that holds it all up. The stairs might not be final either.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]445040[/ATTACH]
The inner security fence took a while to get right. I may replace the beams that hold the wires.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]445039[/ATTACH]