Recovering corrupt .blend files

and why do you need so much?

this won’t tell you if there is something wrong in the middle of your files
which are corrupted - this could be anywhere inside your file
and not necessarily at then end of the file?

Salutations

Oh, sorry for the confusion.

The files are ‘corrupted’ because there is extraneous text after the .blend file. The whole blend file is still there (perfectly fine) but it is inaccesible.

When somebody’s hard drive crashes and the file system is damaged, they won’t be able to look at any of their files anymore. So they have to run a program like Scalpel to try to recover all their files from the damaged hard drive. Programs like this will try to find a header and footer to specify where the file is.

I used BLENDER_v to specify the start of a .blend file and ENDB to specify the end of the file. The problem with this is, even though ENDB is a common footer for .blend files, not all blender files end with ENDB. For the ones that don’t end with ENDB, the program keeps on going, and going, and going (through many other files located right next to this blender file) until it finds an ENDB. The program thinks that was the end, but it really picked up about 10 other documents after the real end of the blender file.

Which leads to why I need so much files. I am trying to find out all the possible footers for a blender file. That way, if a file doesn’t end in ENDB, it can find the end with some other footers.

Currently, my list is at two:
1- 0200
2- 454E4442

I hope that made sense…

I’m finding them basically at sites with blender tutorials that have example .blend files.
And usually, the corruption doesn’t occur very often. At least, this is the only case I know of. And that isn’t really a corrupted .blend file. I guess…

I have to go to sleep now. So I can’t run any more tests. If someone else does…though…
Goodbye.

Just to give you guys a quick update:
I found out that is extremely rare that any files do not start with BLENDER_v and end with ENDB. In fact, I couldn’t find any files.

What really happened:
When your computer saves a file, it will cut it up and stick all the parts in empty slots in your hard drive. So if you have a file that doesn’t end in ENDB, you can be pretty sure that the other half of the file is somewhere else on your hard drive. This means, if your file system has been destroyed, you basically lost all those blends.

However, there may be a number of files that did not get split (I had about 68 unsplit files). You can run the Scalpel program with a header of BLENDER_v and a footer of ENDB and get some of your files back.

I also got Golden G. Richard (the creator of Scalpel) to put the blender file format on the recovery list. So when the next version of the program comes out, the .blend file type will be one of the file formats available for recovery!

Well, that’s all for now…

Good work; I hope I never have to benefit from it though.
Keep backup copies !