Summer of Code - Sculpt and Paint - Feedback team

i’m in too if that’s ok!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ooh1gO2pBAM/Ta1rJ3gKNcI/AAAAAAAAAGA/dXAg90ZVrFU/s400/butch_015_sc_detail_comp_bc.png
there’s still a few things that are probably not big deals to code, compared to what has already been coded, that will really sweeten the sculpting experience.

• allowing non destructive basemesh modifications after higher res sculpting would help us out a lot. Rather than losing all sculpt info when a small section of geometry is modified, i think a localized ’ destruction zone ’ would be acceptable.

• when doing a negative sculpt the color of that circle should go blue as soon as the toggle key is hit, not later.

• a small + or - beside the circle to indicate positive/negative sculpting)?

• the brush circle could follow contour? :slight_smile:

time to dig into that wiki page.

If I can be of any help with testing, I would love to join as well :slight_smile:

my current project (wip):

+1 for this

I also like the idea of integrating the mypaint brush engine, that would be cool.

hey that wiki needs some organization, it’s like a bomb exploded.

So fix it. That’s part of the charm of a wiki, is it not?

i’ll put out some feelers.

Letterip, the wiki page is pretty sculpt centric…
any chance of a special “texture painting specific” area?

(sorrry my wiki editing skills suck!)

Obviously there’s the desire for parity in stroke and orientation options in paint mode with the work Jason did in sculpt last year…(especially seeing as bump painting is so good now and Nicolas already did it for ptex in his branch :wink:

There’s lots of stuff that I noted when doing the texture paint layers addon that I couldn’t do in python as it’d be too slow and the py api doesn’t help much…

Essentially, many common 2d editor image manipulations can only be done in blender by render baking…
colour curves, brightness contrast, hue sat value…

resizing a texture in blender upscaling or downsampling…

combining multiple textures into one (a merge down equivalent)… should be able to take into account different UVs, different tilings, blend mode, channel opacity etc and certainly(if within a channel like color-color, specular-specular, bump-bump) not require the render engine to bake!

now… all these are possible by using nodes or multiple texture channels etc, which is great as its non destructive…

but you cannot “apply” these changes without texture baking which over complicates the workflow for each operation into into many many steps which in a decent 2d editor would be 1 step: done!

Some of this could be texture baking macros… but is that really the best way? it seems like overkill… surely some decent direct image manipulation code would be preferable?

Michael W.

it is sculpt specific right now because I transfered everything that remained from last years GSoC page that wasn’t done yet.

An ‘apply nodes/merge down’ option is something I agree would be definitely worthwhile.

weight paint remove brush: http://www.blenderstorm.org/blenderstorm/idea/245/

would love ‘lazy mouse’ reaction like zbrush for both paint and sculpt mode.

lazy mouse is very important for sculpting and painting. i dont know how to make this because blender needs to have this.

lazy mouse is very important for sculpting and painting.

It’s already implemented since last GSOC.

A erase brush like Mudbox has would be really great :).

Here is a Google spread sheet version of this GSOC feedback page, anyone is free to edit for now. I found this format to be relatively more useful than the wiki for digesting the information.

I haven’t used zbrush lazy mouse, but if I look at this vid.
it seems like it’s the same like david ward explains in this tutorial: at 1:24 - 2:15

One other thing I’d like to see, but I don’t know how hard it would be is to add an option to choose your own symmetry axis based on edges. This could be an extra option under symmetry. I think mudbox has such a tool. though I havent found a good vid yet.

ok :slight_smile: lazymouse == smooth stroke

fantastic. i dont know what was in last GSOC. so i guess blender will already get a lot of new tools?

It sounds like a minor thing, but I would LOVE if the fill/scrape brushes could be merged so that the alt-mode of fill is scrape (and then the alt mode of peaks would be valleys). I use this workflow in zbrush all the time and it’s a fantastic way to refine sculpts.

mmmmmmmm lazymouse it’s long ago in Blender but its very slowwwwwwwwww .
That’s the true they must speed it up

I want the mask tool , and others more i hope they can do this time :slight_smile:

Hi everybody!

As it was already mentioned here, Morten (aka sparky) and me (aka nazgul) were working under baker from sculpt data with using few additional memory. Here’s link to patch, but if it’s needed i could create binary builds with this patch applied.

To use new baker you should choose “Sculpt baker” in Baker panel, select object with sculpted data on multires modifier, choose subdivision level you want to bake to and hit “Bake”. Note, that mesh should be unwrapped and texture should be assigned to this UV map. Baker wouldn’t work with non-multires modifier. It will also wouldn’t work with non-unwrapped meshes or uv maps without texture assigned. Some options aren’t ported from original baker yet, not sure which of them would be.

Waiting feedback from you! Also, feel free to poke me directly for bug repors/request/whatever else :slight_smile:

I gave it a quick try with a sculpted default cube.

Having a good result is easier than with a selected to active workflow.

It does not work correctly when multires preview level is different than bake level.