Summer of Code - Sculpt and Paint - Feedback team

Sorry for the late reply Letterip, i think this thread was moved and i was looking for it in the news section.
I don’t really save out settings as i change the ramp influence a lot depending on what i’m doing, i actually find it a very fluid way of working, and can now sculpt out complex forms using only the grab brush, ramps and grey-scale.
Having my own Alpha factory already built into blender is a massive advantage to me, i’d rather change the brush influence on the fly than have a whole bunch of presets that i have to sort through beyond the basic grab, inflate, pinch etc.
I created a node set-up for filterforge a while back where i could procedurally create any sort of alpha i wanted by just moving a few sliders about and mixing and matching noise, blur, scale etc. http://www.filterforge.com/filters/8409.html
Something like this would be fantastic in blender, where people could set up texture node systems and have a special gui node that would output a simple front end for the end user to interact with.

or you could use shrinkwrap on the re-topoligical head to the high density head…??? but again that leads to tweaking.

just saw this…
I’ve also been tweaking a “cavity shader” that when combined with an environment map creates an impressive and useful way to visualize a mesh.

• New “wrap” texture mode (texture coordinates in “brush space”

source…
http://lists.blender.org/pipermail/soc-2011-dev/2011-May/000071.html

can someone explain the new wrap texture mode and cavity shader.

thanks

wrap texture ‘wraps’ the brushes texture to the surface versus a planar projection. Cavity shder hasn’t been shown yet, it is similar to a real time ambient occlusion.

the wrap texture sounds awesome.

has anyone watched any mari videos? texturing software mari. they have a wrap tool. and it looks like its a 2D latice for images. i think a wrap tool(2d) latice is the best tool you can have for texturing .

a good tool for texturing would also be the liquify tool from photoshop. its a bruch where you can move the textur left,right, up and down. also very important.

reminds me of Kai’s Power Tools from 1997!

You can “apply” the displacement modifier and it’ll “get baked” into the multires…

…also shrinkwrap is a nice modifier for transfering the details of one mesh to another… it to can be applied.

IIRC the recent changes to allow sculpting on armatures have disabvled some modifiers usage in sculpt mode so you may not be able to transfer details in that mode so easily but there is a switch in teh tools panel somewhere that should allow that… else you’ll be limited to applying in “object mode” at the (usually less dtailed) display…

Just a note here on bump painting…(already mentioned to Letterip ages ago, but thought I’d mention it here…

AN increase/decrease contrast brush would be very useful when painting bump maps! (especially if the “direction” could get toggled like in sculpt mode…

@ Michael W
Thanks, yes these are ways go get that information to a new mesh. But this isn’t at all an ideal solution for animation meshes, because you’d have to do a second bake to transfer the newly made hi-res geometry information back to the retopologized mesh. This whole process would take moments if we had a zproject brush of sorts, and not interrupt the sculpting workflow. This could also be a great way to combine sculpted meshes, or to add multiple pieces of geometry such as rivets and plates to a single mesh for baking as normal maps. This is something I’d really like to see.

It has tiny wrinkles and textural information on the surface that I want to get back onto the retopologized geometry. I know I could bake a normal map, but is there any way to, say, get the hires information copied to a multires modifier added to my new retopologized version?

Really the only way to do it currently would be to bake a displacement map, then apply the displacement map to a multires version of your model model.

@johweedee

see told you so

I’ve also been tweaking a “cavity shader” that when combined with an environment map creates an impressive and useful way to visualize a mesh.

wow… this sounds really nice!!! But I hope this will work as performant as the solid view. Unfortunately glsl mode is slower then the solid mode for me :frowning:

Just to pipe up and show some support. I noticed no 64 bit windows builds on Graphicall. Would it be worthwhile for me to build one and put it up there?

-Patrick

edit: never mind, while I was building, tungerz put one up. too slow!

hi all, jason is hard at work merging all of nicks work to the onion branch. looking like he might finish up middle of next week or so.

awesome!
does this include nick’s mask painting!? :smiley:

mask painting, hiding, layers, the whole shebang.

Whoa! I didn’t realise things were moving this quickly in the Onion branch. Downloading a build and I’ll have a paint :slight_smile:

I might be a bit underestimating how long it will take, still quite a few commits to go.

I saw mentioned somewhere that Jason is going to need a masking icon - maybe we can get some suggestions going?

Masking in and it’s really cool! You need VBO’s on and I had to reset my default blend to factory defaults to get it working but it’s really really cool now - I suggest making a new brush (copy like the draw brush and then change the tool to masking).

Brought back hiding parts of the mesh in sculpt mode in proper 2.5-style. (No more ugly reordering of mesh elements leading to mesh corruption!)

UI changes:

• Ctrl+Alt brings up a border select you can hide a rectangular area of the mesh with.
  • Ctrl+Shift is the same, but hides the area outside of the rectangle.
  • Clicking without dragging while holding either Ctrl+Alt or Ctrl+Shift will re-show hidden areas.
  • Added these three operations to the Sculpt menu.

http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/4116/ss20110604171259.png