The lost Relic - Explore and trap monsters in 3D dungeons

Some things that make a roguelike:

• Randomly generated levels and equipment
  • permanent death (your saved game is erased if you die)

Also most classic roguelikes have:

• tile based gameplay
  • turn based gameplay
  • single player
  • a dungeon setting
  • hack and slash type gameplay
  • 2d world layout
  • ASCII graphics, where @ is the player and Z can be a zombie and D a dragon and # a wall etc…
####+###
#   Z  #
#      #
+     @#
# D    #
###+##+#

You don’t have to have all these things to be a roguelike, but some roguelike developers are sadly obsessive about them. People will say your game is not a proper roguelike if it has only things from the first category then it is a roguelite, not a roguelike.

Here’s an interesting article about the subject.

I personally feel that only the first category is needed to be a roguelike.

The problem is that things from the second category only work well with 2d games. As soon as you move to 3d you face problems with game pacing and a lack of FUN. I tried keeping turn based gameplay but it just wasn’t interesting. Also look at the example ASCII room above, the dragon takes up a single tile. The player and the zombie likewise. With ASCII that’s fine but think about how that would look in 3d…

@Smoking_mirror : Ok, well… so my game is absolutly not a roguelike :slight_smile: Thanks for your message, it helps me.

After looking on marketplaces, I guess my game can be classified in “Dungeon crawler” but again I’m not sure and in a certain point of view it’s not really important so I will write a subtitle like “A journey in 3d dungeon” or “Explore and trap monsters in 3d dungeon”… I don’t know yet.

EDIT : Damned, I just read that dungeon crawler games means 1st person game so "The lost Relic"is not like that either :slight_smile:

EDIT2 : Ok, the new subtitle for the game is now : Explore and trap monsters in 3D dungeons

hahah, don’t worry. It’s not a big deal.
You don’t have to fit exactly in to a genre these days.
I would say the single biggest thing in a game being roguelike or not is randomly generated levels.
If your levels are designed then you’d probably want to call it an Action RPG or third person dungeon crawler…

:cool:

Actually, I have finished the scripts and assets. Now I’m designing all the 20 levels one by one (no random or procedural generated).

Thanks for your interest.

Another trading system coded in python. Every scripts and assets are almost done. Now, it’s time to design all the levels of the game :cool:

Today, I opened the game page on the marketplace itch.io.

I will share the full game for free, and until the final release (I plan to make 20 levels), you can try it playing the first 5 levels.

Please, give it a try and tell me what you think :RocknRoll:

> Download the game on itch.io < Game for Windows PC only (32 & 64bits).

And… share if you like :cool:

Because someone asked me, here is a 64Bit version non fullscreen in TAR format for Linux usersUse Wine for Linux to play

Alpha 4 release : The first 6 levels of the game (your save game will work with future releases) - Optimized release, thanks for your feedbacks.

Price : Free (pay what you want)

Game for Windows PC (32 & 64bits).

> Download the game on itch.io <