[THEME] Softimage 2.70

updated to version 2.1! mainly fixing the movieclip editor view, or 3d/2d tracker view.

https://twitpic.com/show/large/7rucdu

I’ve gone for a bright selection again. I think it’s needed with the background clip can come in many color ranges. But inactive trackers are a bright orange/red. active ones are a green/blue turquoise-ish color. the track has the same color, but the value or brightness is tweaked if it’s after or before. I found the bright red/blue way to screamish.

selected trackers has the same purple/red color as selected vertices has.

https://twitpic.com/show/large/7ruitk

changed the nodes color also, just waiting for devs to add more nodes to the theme option. and especially blender cycles render nodes, such as textures, and shaders.

value up, hue down.

a tiny theme update, I’ve been starting to look into the icon set, to change some of the GUI icons (up,down,plus,cross,minus etc — not the pictographic icons) … going to see how I can improve it and make it fit more into softblend buttons.

also for fun I’m working on a custom splashscreen.

update * theme is going into blender trunk as one of the theme chosen to be amongst the presets themes. yay!

gonna go over the theme this weekend to check I’ve fixed the colors of everything, any bug or default color
(except NLA editor #FA0000 stripe. hardcoded :/) please notify me here.

good news thanks Aemartin for this cool theme …!!!

some feedback on the theme (at least the xml preset version)

• Lamps being yellow, think this is too close to object selection, selected text is yellow elsewhere, think unselected objects should have a similar brightness even if the color changes.
  • the mesh faces color has 100% alpha overlay, think removing the lighting on the mesh in editmode is an interesting look but really unacceptable for editing - light is useful for seeing the shape of the model, hidden wire would be nice to have but not the job of themes to do it.

hi,
I’ve made some considerable changes to the stye of this theme in recent svn.
There were issues with layers & other invisible tools or barely visible.
my solution to this was to add shading to pretty much everything & a few other smaller tweaks.
Please let me know what you think.
I think overall I kept the style of the theme intact.
If you really don’t like it, I’m open to suggestions or compromise :slight_smile:
thanks.

I think I’ve seen these changes, I don’t know what Martin will think. But I think adding the bevel back to all the buttons and similar changes kills a bit the purpose of my usage of the theme, making it scream for attention. Feels very cluttered.

@sick agree, I didn’t want shaded buttons so I had always a subtle shade from a darker value of the bg color to, the actual bg color making buttons and menu options active just look like indents.

@meta @ideasman42 why must the theme change? layers had just a sliiiight alpha visible yellow as all my text input/fields. and active layer was brighter yellow.

IMO there’s a place for my low contrast theme, and if not low contrast — user can use one of the other presets.

PS: Ah I think meta ment the 3d layers not the render layers — are to invisible. yeah I’ve been meaning to fix that, i mean they’re fully visible if you press M_Key to move to a layer, but the small layer icons in the header are a bit invisible :slight_smile: DS:

@sick we’ll have to check if crouchs script is broken or if you still can use it to apply themes. with that you get OpenGL 3d Lights, and the custom weight ramp colors.

if you wan’t my Softblend as it should be with low contrast buttons etc.

aermartin, if you can update the script for recent xml, I’m happy to change back.
here’s a revision for current svn .xml
feel free to make adjustments & send me the update.
softblend xml

softblend as .xml format.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1368663/softblend.xml

What makes the softblend a good theme pleasing to the eye is the subthle of the details and soft color.

@kakachiex2 agree, and I kinda like the way I have designed the theme. alpha1.0 in edit mesh mode etc.
but this new Theme API exposure, seems to have tricked around a bit with the actual Theme settings.

So bare with me while I continue to go through entire theme settings to find bugs like this.

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2815/alpha1is0.png

1. if you alpha down, the color gets also darker! not just more transparent in same color but a darker value.
  2. alpha1.0 or, opaque. is not really alpha1.0 more like 0.9, 0.8, hi-lighted in the image I attached. I’ve notified ideasman42 about it. It’s either a Theme setting value being tampered with or nodes draw code doing it wrong.

it’s been updated to svn but it looks all wrong.
I renamed my “exported” .xml file, to something else, it shows up under theme presets and it works looks like Softblend.

anyone tried to download my xml file and place in your interface_theme folder? does it look like the image to the left if so?
it stills look wacky from svn trunk not good at all. outlines, shaded buttons and number inputs/text inputs/sliders look wrong.

http://img585.imageshack.us/img585/3637/softblend.png

your xml file works fine :slight_smile:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2105283/softblend_xml_s.jpg

@@aermartin
I tried to understand how to do that, to transfer your xml file to my blender but I do not understand how to pass your information into A .xml file. After doing that I am able to locate and save the file in the correct folder in blender, presets`s folder.

http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:2.6/Py/Scripts/Interface/Themes/

How do I add an .XML theme file to Blender. I am using Blender for mac. Do I add it in the User Preferences or somewhere else. Please explain. Thanks.

@carlosgf
@paintguy

I’m at work right now, but when I get home to my computer (also has a mac, going for linux though pretty soon) I can give you guys instructions how to get my theme. (it was supposed to be in SVN, in blender by default. I have to get on IRC to get SVN access and upload it)

So I’ll update this thread tonight.

I can’t build blender anymore since cmake is malfunctioning for me since I upgraded to Xcode 4.3 ;/ which is sad and GA.org have really old mac builds. I wanted to see if some of the theme bugs have been fixed, or if I should bugreport after I’ve tested my theme with newest possible build.

anyways an update, I’m using Softblend as default theme and using it for modeling and texturing on my spare time. I’ve noticed some issues with fully opaque face colors (it’s hard to see texture scale etc while in edit mode :frowning: which you kinda HAVE to be in current blender workflow when UV unwrapping)

so I’m thinking of having a 0.95 alpha or something so you kinda see the texture below the faces.

I think I’ve seen a patch that could “freeze” your UV unwrap island selection in edit mode so you can leave into object mode and still have the islands in UV editor to scale/move/fit.

which would be a better workflow especially for Softblends idea of never using alpha on stuf/menues.

@sick sweet! you have it up and running as before ^^
please post any feedback for Softblend in your workflow, if something is off.

btw, the new native .XML supported theme format, has a lack of making OpenGL lights themable, if you want to I can post a screenshot with values etc here?

your’ subdivided and sphere casted qube there got the default blender OpenGL lightning.

which I’ve changed heavily according to your feedback way back ago so it’s more like a diffuse gray MatCap for sculpting even in objectmode. (actually is nice in sculpt mode also)

On Mac

10.6 (Snow Leopard just browse to your home directory, the Library/ folder)
10.7 (Apple has hidden Library/ folder by default, +space opens spotlight, type terminal hit enter, type “open /User/[yourusername]” replace [yourusername] with your actual username. hit enter)

Now In Library/ Folder, find folder Application Support/ open it
inside find folder Blender open it
open folder 2.62
open folder scripts
open folder presets
open folder interface_theme

now download my Softblend XML theme by right click this link -----> opening my dropbox link <— and save file as softblend.xml on desktop.

now drag the softblend.xml from desktop into the interface_theme folder you opened before. start blender and it should be in the themes list.

I’m gonna go on IRC and try to get SVN access and add Softblend to the default themes.

aremartin,

Hi, I really appreciate you helping us with this. I still can’t fin the correct folder though. I am on Mac Snow Leopard OS 10.6.8
When I open the following path (see below) there are no folders named: scripts, presets, interface_theme

(Mac HD > Users > My Name > Library > Application Support > Blender > 2.62 > config > bookmarks, recent-files.txt, startup.blend) Is this the path you took to find the (scripts > presets) folders?

I must be going to the wrong folders so I tried this path (see below) but

(Mac HD > Library > Application Support > I see other apps like: Adobe, Smart Sound Google Sketchup, no Blender folder in here!) When I install Blender 2.62 I just install it into (Mac HD > Applications > Blender) Isn’t this correct?

I can’t believe this is so hard to find. Any ideas where to look?