Ton's new proposed minimum hardware specs. for Blender: A decent machine required

May be it’s necessary for better using of MP?
It would be very nice to be so.

There are no plans to drop support for 32bits, (not sure who/why anyone would suggest that),

as for ARM devices, tablets, phones etc… probably these would have to be using the game engines player or a highly customized startup.blend + keymap.

Just checked on the place where I get my boxes build and a machine without any extreme processor/graphics card costs somewhat more than 1100 Euros so, for me, Modo 601 is a REAL option instead of a new computer.

It is amusing: having to spend 135 Euros to get Windows is enough to start the Linux insurrection but then to use a single application is perfectly OK to tell people to spend 8 times more… I LOVE humans behaviour consistency. Bye.

Nobody was even talking about operating systems there. Linux won’t do you any good if you’re currently using a GMA950.

1100 euros! my current pc which is shitty and meets the minimum requirements posted in the first post cost me less than that. Man I checked that site out if you go mid-range with the CPU and Graphics Card you could definitely put something together for under 600euros If you are upgrading and don’t have to get things like a new PSU, HDD even better.

If you are upgrading, you know where you start and you don’t know where you will end, how much money you will spend and how much time will take; in the mean time, the computer you are frankenstein-ing is unusable.

Anyway there is no purpose in going on on this discussion: if I will still be able to use Blender, better, otherwise I know the URL of the Luxology e-shop.

dont throw win XP support, pleeeeeaaase!

i find these minimum requirements very reasonable. I’d say > 90% of the blender users won’t care about them anyway either they’ve specs > the minimum or they just download and run the program and if it works, fine …
The minimum requirements are just about the support. No one will care about bugs that are caused by systems older than the minimum requirements anymore. That just frees development resources so it’s really a good thing!

And about OpenGL 2.0. Jason Wilkins, who is working on the Viewport FX project, recoded the OpenGL code to make use of newer OpenGL code but also already made fallback code to automatically use < 2.0 functionality if necessary.

Please then just go ahead and get Modo instead of posting this absolute bullshit. I’ve checked the website you’ve linked and even the cheapest PC build they offer at 209€ fits the supposed new hardware requirements.

First NVidia Cards which support OpenGL 3.0 are the GeForce 6 Serie released in 2004, more than 8 years ago. If you have a 9 year old card in you PC and doesn’t want to spend much for a new system get a 8 Serie card from ebay for ~10€

And you won’t have much fun with an 8+ years old system with Modo either

Good luck just running Modo fluently if your specs are 5 years old. Just starting up the program isn´t enough, and just because it´s supporting OpenGL 2 is no guarantee it will run good. But it´s your money.

Uhh… what? If you’re upgrading you know exactly how much you’re going to spend, and your computer is unusable for an hour at the most. Where are you getting your incredibly flawed information on computer pricing and upgrade process?

A “graceful degradation” of Blender features on older/XP/Mac systems would be best IMO. So a development strategy of a fault-tolerant Blender that does not crash or break on older systems would be to proactively disable features when incompatible with detectable hardware. This is a strategy that all could benefit from, especially longtime professionals with legacy niche hardware/software solutions.

For reference: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fault-tolerant_system

The issue with talking about developing “fault tolerant” or “Blender lite” versions that will run on the older hardware is part of the reason the specs are being changed… the developers don’t HAVE the hardware to test on.

Minimum specifications:

Linux 64-bit.

Drop support for everything else.

Doing this would lose about 70% of blender users (stats from this document – https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0As2oZAgjSqDCdElkM3l6VTdRQjhTRWhpVS1hZmV3OGc#gid=0 )

when you are upgrading your computer it is likely to be more usable than putting together a new pc. If you are clever and know how to buy you stuff. I am upgrading this year to not face any downtime I will wait until I have money for a new mother board, cpu and ram. But even if I don’t have all that stuff right now, the old components work so I have a usable pc and when I upgrade my pc if offline for an hour max.

Are you forgetting that Modo has minimum requirements too. You will have to buy a new pc or upgrade and than buy Modo too spending more money than just upgrading your PC for Blender.

Frankly man I don’t get your logic

Are the 64-bit fanclub simply uninformed? There is a reason why some people are using 32 bit (Linux) other than 64. They want to keep using their older production programs (other than Blender) and not everything is available on 64 bit. Some even upgrade their hardware to 64 bit hardware but continue to install 32 bit version systems in order to maintain compatibility with their old executables. Currently, the 64 bit is making 32 obsolete in terms of new hardware, but this doesn’t mean we should throw the baby out with the bathwater.

I would say winxp not until 2014 so dont worry.

You do realize that 32bit software runs in an 64bit environment?
And if something’s not in the repository, it’ll still run after you compile it, or d/l binaries.

'buntus for instance:

sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Sometimes you need to make some symlinks to the correct libs, true, that’s not OOTB experience… still.
The limits you get with 32b in CG outweigh the troubles 64b can cause.